Different CV joint boot for '91 Grand Am depending on steel or aluminum wheels?

I see one of the outer boots is split and slinging out grease. When I check the Moog website, it shows two different boots for automatic transmissions.

5450B Except Factory Aluminum Wheels

5450b steel.jpg

or

5463 with Factory Aluminum Wheels

aluminum.jpg

What could possibly be the difference?

What if the aluminum wheels were bigger, so the car came with a bigger brake package, so maybe the lug pattern changed, there was more (or less) room in the bearing for the CV splines? Or the aluminum wheels had a different offset so they "fixed" that with different hubs and longer/ shorter axles.

In other words maybe the aluminum wheels came with "the V6" and there was a bunch of other upgraded stuff as well.

What if the aluminum wheels were bigger, so the car came with a bigger brake package, so maybe the lug pattern changed, there was more (or less) room in the bearing for the CV splines? Or the aluminum wheels had a different offset so they "fixed" that with different hubs and longer/ shorter axles.

In other words maybe the aluminum wheels came with "the V6" and there was a bunch of other upgraded stuff as well.
Only thing that makes sense to me.

Ask a Grand Am forum?
Go to an auto parts store and see if you can look at both? If that's even possible (unlikely to be stocked).

My best guess is that the 14" aluminum wheels had some sort of less space issue so the "for aluminum wheels" is really only necessary for that application.

If I recall right, some Grand Ams had 5x100 and some had 5x114 bolt pattern. I don't remember the specifics but I'd agree you're probably on the right track.

If I recall right, some Grand Ams had 5x100 and some had 5x114 bolt pattern. I don't remember the specifics but I'd agree you're probably on the right track.

Wrecking yard search only shows one compact spare to fit all 1991 Grand AMs, which is interchangeable with any Cavalier and several other GM FWD models.

In the rockauto.com listings, it shows different joint sizes. I think that would be your path to finding the correct one.

Here are a few from the 2.3L engine:
Inner; Manual trans.; LE Model; Joint Diameter 3.50 In.
or Inner; Manual trans.; SE Model; Joint Diameter 3.50 In.; w/ 16 In. Wheels
or Inner; SE Model; Joint Diameter 3.50 In.

Inner; Automatic trans.; LE Model; Joint Diameter 3.3 In.

Front Outer; Automatic trans.; LE Model; Joint Diameter 3.58 In.

Fits Outer; Manual trans.; LE Model; Joint Diameter 3.44 In.
or Outer; SE Model; Joint Diameter 3.44 In.

Outer; Automatic trans.; LE Model; Joint Diameter 3.83 In.

For the 2.5L engine, they were organized by transmission (automatic vs manual).

Wrecking yard search only shows one compact spare to fit all 1991 Grand AMs, which is interchangeable with any Cavalier and several other GM FWD models.
+2

I am finding the switch came several years later, like 1999+

Back