Differences in PDS, older PP Euro 5w-40 and newer PP "Racing" 5w-40?

f355spider

$50 Site Donor 2024
I know I could just ask Edyvw directly, but thought I should create a post to share with all. :)

Ferrari changed their oil recommendations a few years back, but this PP Racing 5w-40 I have never seen anywhere. Anyone see it online, and more importantly, know what the differences are? The previous PP Euro 5w-40 is still around but the Ferrari approval came off the label...not sure if the specs changed. I think Edyvw said there were minor changes?
4C3A87A6-77D7-42E1-B20F-9B8A146E855A.jpg

Thank you for finding that.

Here is the link to the current version of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 that no longer has the Ferrari approval (2020): (specs appear same as previous Ferrari approved version from 2014)

Here is the link to the earlier version of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 (2014) when it had the Ferrari approval: (specs appear unchanged)

Another thing is I do not believe there is an actual Ferrari approval, all of the "approvals" are marketing agreements.
There may be some truth to that...but Ferrari and Shell do play up that Shell has their technical team and mobile lab at races and track testing to analyze and adjust oils for the F1 race team. The bulletin above is from the Ferrari technical dept, not the marketing dept.

Unlike some car manufacturers that flip flop on oil brand recommendations, the Ferrrari/Shell relationship has existed since at least the early 1990s. 30+ years is a long time.

My Mustang approves of it. Made the switch to PP Euro 5W-40 from Amsoil SS 10W-30 2 years ago. Motor runs nice and quiet and no consumption issues with the current setup on10 pounds of boost.
Readily available and at 8 quarts per oil change much cheaper than the Amsoil.

Last edited:
Back