Differences Between Magnatec, Edge and Havoline ProDS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me the fundamental info about Castrol Edge, Castrol Magnatec and Havoline ProDS in the 0w20 and 5w30 varieties? I'm interested in what is known about their base stocks and additives.

FWIW, I've been using bulk Milesyn for many years with very good success but the price has steadily increased to the same as these name brands. Soon, I'll be doing another round of OCs on the 5 family cars and its going to wipe-out my last 5 gallon pails of Milesyn. Between all the cars I need to have 0w20 and 5w30 on hand.

E.g: What are their primary base stocks? Does Edge and Magnatec use the same base stock with different additives or, is it the other way around? How do the base stocks and additives of Havoline ProDS compare to the Castrol products?

Thanks...

Ray

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Can anyone tell me the fundamental info about Castrol Edge, Castrol Magnatec and Havoline ProDS in the 0w20 and 5w30 varieties? I'm interested in what is known about their base stocks and additives.

FWIW, I've been using bulk Milesyn for many years with very good success but the price has steadily increased to the same as these name brands. Soon, I'll be doing another round of OCs on the 5 family cars and its going to wipe-out my last 5 gallon pails of Milesyn. Between all the cars I need to have 0w20 and 5w30 on hand.

E.g: What are their primary base stocks? Does Edge and Magnatec use the same base stock with different additives or, is it the other way around? How do the base stocks and additives of Havoline ProDS compare to the Castrol products?

Thanks...

Ray

How many miles/months on your oil changes? If you're not extending your change intervals the answer is "there's no real difference, use the one that's on sale or any other major brand that's on sale", IMO.

If you're extending your interval, I'll let the more knowledgeable describe their differences.

bulk Milesyn

WM needs to run the Dexos spec 5 gals for 35 bucks deal again like last summer.

I Like all those oils.

Havoline has the best packaging for my applications.

Thanks...

Ray

All three should perform as good as the Milesyn at the same oci. Don't overthink it...pick one and go with it.

ProDS gets the edge IMO based on $/qt...

Thanks all for the input but I'm still curious about the base stocks and quantitative differences of these oils. It seems some knowledge is known about certain brands of oil (I think) but not these?

Thanks...

Ray

You'll have to pull the individual MSDS which will provide the general composition of the individual products. You won't be able to obtain specific concentrations but ranges as the information is proprietary.

If you need to compare these oils at a "fundamental level", you'll just have to compare MSDS and PDS. It's not going to shed a ton of light for you, however. You'll find most of the information I think you're looking for on the PDS, and the one thing you'll notice is that there's trade-offs between each oil (as with any oil, mind you). In 5W-30, Havoline ProDS has a fairly high Noack, Castrol GTX Magnatec has an HTHS of 2.9 (absolute minimum for 5W-30), and the PDS for the Edge just doesn't tell you much of anything. My point is, just go with whatever you want- they will all do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back