Diff Oil for Nissan 180sx Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand it either has a viscous LSD standard or an after market mechanical LSD (possibly Cusco). Not sure as the cases are the same and it requires the diff to be pulled from the car to take off the rear cover.

Was about to put the Motul diff oil in, but on reading their website it is not recommended for LSD's. The bottle doesn't say anything abt LSD. Only two types of Motul are for LSD and neither seem available here.

Have checked some of the Oil sites here for their recommendations, however, they aren't recommending a LSD oil, strange.

Help.
I believe Redline 75/90 is OK, but are there other "good" preferably synthetic oils suitable?

Use Motul Gear 300. If it is a viscous coupling diff (which it is most likely to be) then you can use any GL5 oil you want in there, as the coupling unit is sealed from the diff. Thus the unit does not rely on FMs to lock up.

Nissan also recommend against using LSD oil in their diffs. So Gear 300 is your best bet IMO.

theguru,

Try Castrol SAF-XA, recommended for all V8, HO, and LS diffs. Readlily available for the amazing price of $26 litre. At that price it's gotta be good.
grin.gif

Dave

Guru get the Redline it's awesome. I have 75W90 in diff and 75W90NS in the transaxle (Outback) and D4ATF in the p/s. We are talking about very small quantities and it's changed so rarely the cost is more than covered by the improved fuel economy (about 6% I believe). NEO should have something but cost is outa this world!!

Thanks for the replies.

I seen nothing about not using LSD oil in Nissan diffs. News to me. If some more info is available I would be interested. Nothing in the manuals for the S13/14/15. Or my handbook. Just quotes oil grades.

I have put the Redline in mine (actually the dealer put it in - looked over specs on bottle and said was alright)and it would appear that Redline LSD oils are ok for LSD and non-lsd anyway. Mine is the helical diff.

The Motul Gear 300 says not to use in LSD diffs. We have the HD Motul and after reading up on the Motul oz site will probably take it back.

Have heard good things about the Castrol, however, I think the Redline will probably go in. As Sprintman said at under 2 litres it isn't too pricey.

Just wish the engine oil was cheaper. Just can't justify double the price of Motul 300v.

Leo, specifically where does Nissan claim NOT to use LSD service GL5 in their differentials? Do you have a TSB or manual reference?

AFAIK generically speaking there is no problem using a GL5 that includes LSD additives in open axles. The majority of mass marketed OTC gear oils are GL5 and indicate LSD additives. Sure it's not specifically necessary for an open axle but I've not heard it is 'bad' for them either.

Sprintman - I think most any differential w/ hypoid gear including Nissan will be GL5. A GL4 in a hypoid differential can quickly ruin the gearset.

On a traditional layout of a fron engine, manual tranmsmission admidships and rear differential I simply 'count-up' as I 'go-back' that is GL4 for the tranny and GL5 ro the diffy. You can get away w/ GL5 in teh tranny but the reverse is simply not true. THis liability is in my opinion 'one' of the reasons why GL4 specific lubes are not commonly found on shelves for average consumers.

In the S15 Workshop manual it specifically states "Never use LSD exclusive gear oil. Use standard differential gear oil."

As I said, Motul is perfectly fine for the diff. Mechanical diffs require LSD oil. You dont. So use the Motul. Dont waste your time swapping it IMO...

Btw you cannot really get away with using GL5 in the GL4 tranny. All you'll get is vastly reduced synchro life and hard shifting.

[ November 28, 2003, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Leo ]

I am talking about 2 vehicles here. The one I am asking about is the 180sx. I too have a Nissan 200sx S15. I have the Redline in it. From what I can tell the Redline is not a LSD only diff oil, it can be used in either. As I said the dealer looked over the spec's and put it in! Mine does have the helical gearset which is different to the 180sx. I understand the auto in the S15 has a viscous LSD.

Back to the vhicle in question.
The 180sx has not had a change as yet. The reason for getting the Motul was that we hoped to change the oil at the same time we fixed the broken rear CV joint. However, we decided to not do it then as it was 3:30am when we got the axle back together and I had to get to work for 9am.

Redline recommended the 75/90 which it usable in a LSD, but not exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back