Diff Cover with Drain Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other diff cover thread got me thinking about a cover with a drain plug. I don't really need a Mag Hytec or AFE cover but I would like the convenience of being able to drain without removing the cover for my 2013 F150 9.75 4x4. Any reasonably priced options out there? Looks like G2 has this one and this one. Anyone have any experience with these or any other options?

If you can drill a 1/2-inch hole at the bottom of the cover, you can use a kit to add a drain plug. The kit is sold at most auto supply houses.

Originally Posted By: freshcopedawg
The other diff cover thread got me thinking about a cover with a drain plug. I don't really need a Mag Hytec or AFE cover but I would like the convenience of being able to drain without removing the cover for my 2013 F150 9.75 4x4. Any reasonably priced options out there? Looks like G2 has this one and this one. Anyone have any experience with these or any other options?

No experience with those, but given the size of the piece of metal and the details and structural features required I'd say those prices are as reasonable as you're going to get.

I would try it....it's just a cover.Once you get used to a drain plug...you'll never want to go back.

Originally Posted By: Doog

I would try it....it's just a cover.Once you get used to a drain plug...you'll never want to go back.

Right. And I think the price is reasonable but wanted to find other options and experiences. I've read a couple bad reviews of the high end G2 cover.

I think the reason you'd want to take the cover off is inspection when you change lube. Plus a drain plug unless it is on the very lowest point will always leave a puddle of lube with heavy metals in it and contaminate the refill. If its heavy duty or towing a lot an aluminum cover with fins will help remove heat.

When i change mine I drain then use a clean rag to clean particles from the bottom of the pig.

I had someone weld a Hex Nut to the outside of my diff. cover.
I then drilled a hole and used a Magnetic Drain Plug.

If I'm going to do a fluid change, the drain plug makes it alittle easier.
I still remove the diff cover to get out any remaining fluid.

Most diffs only need one oil change for the life of the vehicle. When I work for a trucking company they changed the oil at 2500K and then it stayed in for life which was over one million miles.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Most diffs only need one oil change for the life of the vehicle. When I work for a trucking company they changed the oil at 2500K and then it stayed in for life which was over one million miles.

Depends but on average if you use Amsoil or Redline you can go 100k on a fill.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
I think the reason you'd want to take the cover off is inspection when you change lube. Plus a drain plug unless it is on the very lowest point will always leave a puddle of lube with heavy metals in it and contaminate the refill. If its heavy duty or towing a lot an aluminum cover with fins will help remove heat.

When i change mine I drain then use a clean rag to clean particles from the bottom of the pig.

Being able to mostly drain it before pulling the cover makes this much less messy, so it might still be worth it.

I put an aluminum cover on a 8.6" GM. There were a few things that needed to be dealt with, most due to the increased thickness of the aluminum cover, and the presence of the stiffening "fins".

The original bolts didn't fit the new cover and I didn't care for the ones included, so I had to find some other bolts.

There was an emergency cable bracket that bolted underneath one of the cover screws. It's shape wasn't completely compatible with the aluminum cover so I had to ground down the bracket a little.

Unlike the OEM, the aluminum cover had no magnet. I chose to add a small magnet to the drain plug.

So it can be considerable work to install one of the aftermarket covers.

Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't bother putting one on a non-LSD (clutchless) diff. For the clutch type LSDs, I like to change fluid more often and it is nice to have the drain plug and avoid the need to remove and re-gasket the cover with every oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back