Diesel Vehicle Causes Fire in Cali..

If the filter is totally full, it will sometimes call for a parked regen.

We had one tractor at work do a 2+ hour regen in the yard last week, immediately AFTER ~120 miles at highway speed with a loaded trailer.

strange as the ones I have seen all have fixed times... 20 to 25 minutes max. But yes, if the ecu didn't get an opportunity to do it and the driver neglects to start it when possible it's going to get upset and demand a regen. wait a bit longer and it's a trip to the workshop....

20 gallons is a lot, but with a big enough filter and engine, and a long enough regen cycle I guess 20 gallons is possible.

strange as the ones I have seen all have fixed times... 20 to 25 minutes max. But yes, if the ecu didn't get an opportunity to do it and the driver neglects to start it when possible it's going to get upset and demand a regen. wait a bit longer and it's a trip to the workshop....

20 gallons is a lot, but with a big enough filter and engine, and a long enough regen cycle I guess 20 gallons is possible.

Definitely the system needs to be looked at,
6.6 liter isuzu takes 10 miles and 2 gallons to regen if I am driving, else, if it keeps restarting, it starts over and I have seen around 5 gallons

Cal fire is really criminal. They tried to get Sierra Pacific Lumber to pay fire fighting costs SP didn't start. there was a huge court case.

Definitely the system needs to be looked at,
6.6 liter isuzu takes 10 miles and 2 gallons to regen if I am driving, else, if it keeps restarting, it starts over and I have seen around 5 gallons

Oh, I'm sure there's something wrong with it. There usually is...we haven't had a day without some sore of emission system problem in years.

One of the local government fleets had 6.4s and instructed their drivers to shut the trucks off when they went into regen, disconnect teh batteries, and then reconnect them and keep driving. They would eventually tow the trucks into us because the engines would either hydrolock or run absolutely terrible. We would drain 25+ quarts of mixed oil and diesel out, refill with new oil and filter and do a forced regen. Their rationale was they didn't want tourists to possibly see a truck in regen.
That is weapon-grade stupid.

I'd bet they went back to gas because of the hassle involved with the diesel trucks and the cost to maintain the exhaust system, the shortened life of an EGR engine and the VGT turbo. You don't have to wait for a regen. These trucks including over the road semi's and construction equipment all operate while in regen.

As the fuel prices are a factor:
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_gnd_dcus_sca_a.htm

Screenshot_2020-08-13_10-01-40.png

At the gas station on a recent trip, a brand new diesel pickup pulled up to refill. The engine was at idle, and the exhaust system was hissing like crazy and the heat plume was remarkable. Although it was daylight and I did not see any sparks, it was clearly wicked-hot.

I guess they can do this if the injector pump is acting up. The driver may not have known.

You do realize that an active regen is a fuel injector shooting fuel directly into an exhaust system to be ignited correct? Sounds sort of like a simplified flame thrower doesn't it?

Back