Diesel Vehicle Causes Fire in Cali..

I worked for the National Forest Service several summers when I was in college in the Medicine Bow NF/Snowy Range, and the chains saws and other powered equipment had to have spark suppressor on the exhaust.

A friend of mine worked at a bus garage for a few years. They would have to do regens on concrete or gravel because the buses would get so hot underneath they would melt the asphalt.
One of the local government fleets had 6.4s and instructed their drivers to shut the trucks off when they went into regen, disconnect teh batteries, and then reconnect them and keep driving. They would eventually tow the trucks into us because the engines would either hydrolock or run absolutely terrible. We would drain 25+ quarts of mixed oil and diesel out, refill with new oil and filter and do a forced regen. Their rationale was they didn't want tourists to possibly see a truck in regen.

Oh yeah, my buddy had a fleet he bought for his business. When they weren't in the shop with the cab off, they were often shooting flames. The Scorpion diesels were marginally better. He's mostly running Gas trucks now.
Towing company around the corner has gone back to gas engines. Too much lost revenue with the currant diesels.

When CHP calls they gave X amount of time to get to the accident. They can't wait for a truck to regen.

Towing company around the corner has gone back to gas engines. Too much lost revenue with the currant diesels.

When CHP calls they gave X amount of time to get to the accident. They can't wait for a truck to regen.
I have heard the repo guys are excited about the new 7.3 gas since it is really quiet.

I'd bet they went back to gas because of the hassle involved with the diesel trucks and the cost to maintain the exhaust system, the shortened life of an EGR engine and the VGT turbo. You don't have to wait for a regen. These trucks including over the road semi's and construction equipment all operate while in regen.

I'd bet they went back to gas because of the hassle involved with the diesel trucks and the cost to maintain the exhaust system, the shortened life of an EGR engine and the VGT turbo. You don't have to wait for a regen. These trucks including over the road semi's and construction equipment all operate while in regen.

Agree, Ive never heard of a truck that can’t operate while in regen.

I have seen trucks that HAD to do a parked regen.

This is pure insanity,
Some diesels are supposed to only regen when they are driven at xx mph min speed. Parked to regen does not make any sense to me. Someone please explain the rationale behind this.

This is pure insanity,
Some diesels are supposed to only regen when they are driven at xx mph min speed. Parked to regen does not make any sense to me. Someone please explain the rationale behind this.

There are some vehicles that if they have failed to meet the parameters for an in-motion regen, due to duty cycle, will derate and require a stationary one. Some of those even require a diagnostic tool to initiate. It's nuts.

My ‘18 Duramax can get the stationary re-generation function activated at a dealer. Beats getting the thing towed or limping along... Some people buy diesels when their duty cycle denoted gasoline. Some people use the PTO function & that will require the enabling of stationary re-generations.

-John

Anyway, my car had a dpf regen monday morning on the way to work. Think my dpf may be on the way out as it was only 1200 miles since the last regen... took 10 minutes to complete as always and consumed a half quart of excess fuel.

I've seen trucks where the engine management does an automatic regen while driving OR the driver can opt to do one while parked if it's convenient

If the filter is totally full, it will sometimes call for a parked regen.

We had one tractor at work do a 2+ hour regen in the yard last week, immediately AFTER ~120 miles at highway speed with a loaded trailer.

Anyway, my car had a dpf regen monday morning on the way to work. Think my dpf may be on the way out as it was only 1200 miles since the last regen... took 10 minutes to complete as always and consumed a half quart of excess fuel.

I saw a truck burn 20+ gallons of fuel doing a regen. It ran 1400RPM with the cooling fan engaged (215-220 degree coolant) for about an hour and a half...the exhaust was glowing cherry red, to about a foot from the tip, the floor of the cab was hot enough to burn. Windows open in the shade, it was almost 150 degrees in the cab.

I saw a truck burn 20+ gallons of fuel doing a regen. It ran 1400RPM with the cooling fan engaged (215-220 degree coolant) for about an hour and a half...the exhaust was glowing cherry red, to about a foot from the tip, the floor of the cab was hot enough to burn. Windows open in the shade, it was almost 150 degrees in the cab.
Surely that can't be good for the environment.

Back