Diesel Power Magazine Bypass Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt very many people hear have heard of this magazine, as it is relatively new and very specific in its content..

But, the newest release (march 2006) has a very interesting article about bypass filtration.. It is basically a promotion for the FS-2500 (I don't know much about this filter) in that it is the only option that it really shows or talks about.. But, it does give some interesting information and should help bring the idea of bypass filters into a more main-stream audience.

I usually buy my copies at Safeway (They only very recently started to do subscriptions), but they are probably also for sale at any barns and noble or books stores like that. Pick up a copy and take a quick look if you get a minute!

I just wish the discussed the cost of the system and filter replacements more in the article.
dunno.gif

I think I've seen this before. I think that this is a relatively expensive setup ..like $400+. When you don't see a price ..and you have to run through a dealer/distributor ..there's too many hands in the cash box.

I was looking at bypass filters for my 06 F250 6.0L Powerstroke. I also ran across the FS-2500. I emailed them for info about a system for my truck. They had one but even with their "special" price it was still about $150 more than the Oil Guard System and the replacment elements are $22 vs. $11 for the Oil Guard. I emailed the sales guy to explain the difference in the FS2500 as compared to the Oil Guard. Been 3 weeks and I haven't heard back from him. Got an Oil Guard coming. www.oilguard.com

Pretty convincing video demonstration. I watched most of the long one, the "demo" version and they spun on a Fleetguard and also did an Amsoil BK-100 bypass filter. Neither could clean the 5w oil like the "whatever 2500" filter did.

My question I guess is, is 5 weight oil with carbon black added a good test? Is it close to real world diesel contaminants?

Also, would a Frantz filter plummed up like theirs and using the same oil and carbon black remove all the black too?

AS far as the demo shows, its pretty impressive.

Mark

I, also, just got through watching the entire video. I don't see how anyone could not be impressed with what this video shows.

They use, almost clear (very slight yellow tint), hydrolic fluid, for the test, to show how clean this filter gets your oil. To this, they added carbon black & water (emulsified, stirred-up).

The most popular Fleetguard Bypass Filter was used in the first test & I could not see any difference in the cleanliness of the fluid. Then they switched to the FS-2500 & it cleaned up the fluid very quickly. They then kept adding carbon black trying to over-power the FS-2500. To simulate water in your oil, they added a part of a plastic cup full of water, stirred it up, added more carbon black powder & started filtering it, again. The FS-2500 did a great job of cleaning the fluid.

They then changed the Fleetguard to the Amsoil (EB-100,?) Bypass Filter & did the test, again. However, they did not put a fresh FS-2500 filter on. The Amsoil Filter, also, left the fluid black. I could not see any difference between the before & after filtration (like the Fleetguard).
Right now, Filtration Solutions has a $100.00 discount on the FS-2500 ( for a short time, only).
For the '02 & earlier Dodge/Cummins, all Powerstrokes & all Duramaxes, the sale price is $429.00. The '03 & later Dodge/Cummins sells for $458.00. These prices are for the kit that includes everything you need to install their systems.
FS claims that the filters need to be changed out at 10,000 mile intervals & the changes are easily done. Replacement filters are cartridge style & sell for $22.95 ea.

They, also, claim that conventional oil can last on the average of about 60,000 miles & synthetic on the average of 180,000 miles, according to what they have been seeing & using oil sample testing.

In my opinion, this system looks like it works very well. But, I'm not an "expert" & I did not stay at a Holiday Inn, last night, either.

Joe Fihn

No surprise that the FS filter people advertize in that magazine. Full page ad. They spend the money and they get the article written about their very expensive (imo) filter system. Oilguard and motorguard on my truck...

Just for the record hydraulic fluid acts very different than oil. I also was impressed with the video but after having one Amsoil Is the way to go as far as am concerned.
I went 20000 miles on my last oil change using Amsoil OEM filter. I am on my second oil change and my oil looks very sooty
I think the looks of the oil after 12,000 miles is to dirty the 10000 oil sample was ok but not great I am using motor craft filter as FS suggested.
I think the every 10000 miles on a filter verses 25000 Amsoil is hard to justify the cost.
I am using it on a 2003 7.3 PSD.
FS said they would buy it back from me. I paid $280 with out a filter, rather than FS buying it back if any one want it speaks up.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back