diesel grade oil in a passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just make sure it meets the specs and the weight is what's recommended. It's not hard to find a lighter weight diesel oil now.

Jared

Originally Posted By: Jett Rink
I've yet to personally meet anybody who had to replace a catalytic converter due to burning oil. Not to say it hasn't happened, but I haven't met anyone forced to do so.

The cats don't physically change, the catalyst gets "used up" making them inoperative...then you can't pass a sniffer. However, on the flip side, most newer diesels have a cat...so what keeps them from dying prematurely? Personally, I wonder if the cat would be affected in its "useful" life span...they only snif test for so many years before they typically become exempt (at least on the east coast).

As I noted in another thread, the major down side to running a conventional 15w40 in a gasser is winter time use...most car starters are not designed to handle the extra load of starting the engine with that thick of an oil. I ran 15w40 PZ in a chrysler 440, and it was a pain to start in the winter (and that was with DUAL batteries)...the starters just aren't designed to turn that kinda torque.

Originally Posted By: XS650
3. People get skeered when the jug sez diesel on it. They can't get past that to see the SL or SM that is also on the jug, or don't even know what SM and SL mean.

I now stock Tection HD 10W30 for our use and one of the techs came to me and refused to use it in a piece of equipment 'cause the jug said diesel on it and he was working on a GM 3.0L. I showed him the SL rating on the bottle and the page in the spec book that said to use SL rated oils and he still didn't want to use it.

Really, if sulfated ash is under 1% and ZDDP levels are 1200 ppm or less, unless the oil has a ridiculous high TBN and sulfated ash level (say TBN of 15) it is probably safe for use in most modern gasoline vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back