Diesel fuel filter for oil bypass filter?

Your statements are inaccurate and flawed:

1) there are LOTS of full flow lube filters that are well below 30um. Just one example; check out the oil filter for the 6.7L PSD from Wix
57151 (2/20/75 = 3/12/17). The fact that you only discuss a nominal particle size with no discussion of efficiency relates to my skeptical sense of your understanding.

2) no one here ever outwardly stated or implied that Amsoil is the only choice for BP elements; where'd you get that from???

3) why is doubling oil capacity a good thing? You're probably going to espouse the benefits of dilution of contamination and cooling effects. There is some truth to that. However ... I'll counter with the fact that it can cost more for the volume of oil, and yet give no tangible benefit in wear reduction in some circumstances. Further, cold oil is not a good thing, so larger capacity systems which "cool" better also take longer to warm up and bring the lube up to temp. If you thermostatically control the lube BP system, that would certainly help, but it also induces yet more cost and complexity. In really cold areas, overly large sumps have been proven to be detrimental. Since you're unwilling to share any details about where you will operate, what engine(s) this experiment will exist on, or about anything else other than your willingness to argue and ignore sage advice, well - we're not really able to help you. You want to talk theory; we'd rather talk specifics.

4) there's a sucker born every minute. The fact that some guy is selling massive amounts of these filter conversion applications doesn't impress me. A fool and his money are soon parted. There's a lot of examples of people who spend money on BP systems, and secretly realize they didn't make a good decision, but to avoid embarrassment and ridicule they tout the "benefits" and never mention the failures. The fact that you don't realize this (or are unwilling to admit it) makes me believe you're poised to make the same choices.

I'm fine if you want to experiment. I think experiments can be enlightening and interesting. The great thing is that your choices don't affect me, and vice versa. But you came here for advice; you asked "Is there anything wrong with this?" Kinda an open ended question, is it not? You invited comments; you've got our thoughts. We've heard yours.

I say you should go for it! What concerns me is that you've stated you're unwilling to put the effort into this to make it credible. Without salient and accurate data, you're assured a "success" because you can just declare it so. Wow - that's great science ... NOT.

So do us a favor ...
If you want to convince us that your experiment can be a success, then do a lot of documentation:
- take pictures and be detailed; show us the installation, the system, the dissected filters, etc
- do UOAs to show what effect the proposed system has (to know if there was improvement, you need a baseline as well as after effects)
- do PCs to show what effect the proposed system has (again - before and after)
- detail the full costs of the entire experiment (lube costs, filter costs, mounts, plumbing, etc) and then calculate the ROI

You're not going to be successful coming here and talking trash to us "oil nerds", with no facts to back it up. You have your opinion; we have ours. I say either put up or shut up, as it were. We require facts and data; not hyperbole and hypothetical rhetoric. It's easy to come here and espouse your theory. It's not so easy to wander in and prove you're right beyond a reasonable doubt; it takes effort, time and money. There's no requirement that you do what I ask, but then there's no assurance you're not going to be ignored or challenged for making unsubstantiated claims.

The choice is up to you.

Last edited:
There are really only 2 questions: will the filter hold together at higher temps, and will it hold together with thicker oil. The answer can only be yes or no, there is no gray area. There is no risk to the engine at all if a typical full flow lube filter is added after the test filter. (if the filter blows it would catch any debris)

Nobody has a definitive answer to these questions, except maybe Baldwin (Parker), and even if they did they would not be willing to share.

So if you are insistent on a clear-cut yes-or-no answer, the answer you're looking for is no.

If you're willing and able, by all means feel free to prove me wrong with evidence.

(removed - mod)
I've read through this thread and haven't seen any responses that qualify the poster as an "(edit - mod)", but maybe I missed it. Definitely not "so many of you".

Perhaps using a diesel fuel filter as an oil filter isn't a good idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read through this thread and haven't seen any responses that qualify the poster as an "(edit - mod)", but maybe I missed it. Definitely not "so many of you".

Perhaps using a diesel fuel filter as an oil filter isn't a good idea?
I didn't say everybody was...there is definitely more than one...

Perhaps you have no idea how a fuel filter will perform because you've never tried it or heard of anyone else trying it? Could it be?!

If you've never tried Coca-Cola you can't tell people it tastes either good or bad, can you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, like Coke. If someone had never tried Coke and asked me about it, I'd feel OK giving my impression of the beverage.

OTOH - I've never tried drinking hydrochloric acid, but I think I'll continue to tell other people not to drink it, though admittedly I've never consumed it. I've never pointed my Glock at my foot and purposely pulled the trigger; my presumption leads me to believe it would end badly for me, or anyone else for that matter. Though I've never given it a go, I generally would recommend to others not to stick their bare fingers onto a live 440v lead in a three-phase motor; seems like a bad idea to me - but what do I know? ... never tried it, so my answer must be moot.

Being a higher level primate capable of intelligent processing, I can take in the experiences of mine and others, collect coherent data surrounding a topic, analyze similar (yet not identical) events, examine both correlation and causation, and then theorize how an outcome may present itself. And I'm not the only one; there's a lot of credible, brainy cats here who impress me with not only their experiences, but how they "think" through topics. We don't always agree, but I've learned a lot from others who both experiment AND theorize. I've been corrected here when I've been in error, and was glad to publicly admit my mistakes if I learned something of value.

So, yeah - I guess I'm fine with giving advice on stuff I can research and make logical conclusions about, though never personally attempted before.

Chapter21, I owe you an apology, because clearly I've ticked you off. I'm sorry for offending you. I meant to both challenge your ideas and also explain my rational behind my position. Somehow I got sideways with you. Maybe time will heal this wound.

Last edited:
I thank god every day I don't have to maintain a powersmoke. I barely have to spend more than $20 a year for all maintenance on my truck, and if I installed a 2 quart or larger bypass filter it would probably last the life of the truck.
You will sell the truck before seeing any benefit of a bypass filter regardless of what the pick up costs.

Back