Diesel Fuel anti gel test

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK...the disclaimers first,

1. This test is not scientific. The additives were used as prescribed (correct dose)..science ends there.

2. This represents the worst case scenario. This is summer fuel from ElPaso TX...in -15F temps!!

3. I do not have gelling problems...at all. I did this for fun

4. I do not regularly use additives and don't think they are necessary..lots of experience too. I did this for fun

5. I did this for fun. I'm not trying to endorse anything or convert anyone's additive religions.

6. All additives were dosed at the ratio listed on the bottle. If there was a dosage change for below 0F..that's what was used.

7. The methyl alcohol used was dosed in at the same rate as the Howes...I had to pick something..so that's what I used.

Fuel was blended and left outside overnight. Lowest temp and temp at time of pictures was -15F.

OK...on with the pics.

Last edited:

This is a product from Innospec called EcoClean 2G. Innospec does NOT market this as an antigel in any way whatsoever. However...I do associate with a fleet guy who uses this stuff in his bulk tanks in the winter because he thinks additives are "all pretty much the same thing".

I can vouch for this stuff as a pretty decent one tank clean up of injectors on a modern Detroit Diesel (what it's intended to do).

This is the raw untreated fuel. You can see by the tilted pic it has a bit of a wax wave going on as I'm tipping the jar.

It was about 60F in the shop when I was preparing all this...even at that temp the raw fuel was noticeably thicker when I was pumping/blending it.

This is Stanadyne Performance Formula All Season (Blue bottle). After tipping it I also then swirled the jar a bit..

Stanadyne does not have a different recommended dose (on the bottle anyways) for below 0F

This is Power Service "White Bottle". It did have a different dose rate below 0F (double..and it was used).

This was after swirling the jar a bit.

I don't seem to have any other still shots of the Howes. I did take video of them all swirling (if they were liquid)..will work on posting that.

It did just as well as the PS and looked a bit more clear.

This is locally sourced current blend diesel fuel..from Esso (Exxon). This time of year we are on a blend that contains a lot of #1 fuel. Fuel mileage is terrible but..as you can see...it is suited for these temps.

Awesome, thanks! ....and SURPRISING!
Back in the 90's I used Howe's in my semi truck.

When I drive my Cummins F350 up north, I use Power Service.

Last disclaimer...

Your results may vary considerably based on the fuel in your area, your fuel supplier, and it's blend/make up. Remember, my base fuel was from the summer time, in El Paso TX transported into -15F Canada.

Just a comment on the use of alcohol, is it wise? I was warned once that using alcohol in diesel fuel could render the water separator useless .
In other words help water get past a separator by emulsifying or mixing diesel and water,which would damage injectors.

I used the alcohol because some people swear by it...and I wanted to show how that it really was more of a trouble maker than a help. I never use alcohol in diesel fuel..ever..and will not run any additive that contains it (emulsifiers).

Cool test, thanks for posting.

It makes me want to go try it and see the results with K100, Seafoam, MMO, TCW-3 and a few others. Today is the last day of our below zero weather though....

good info Piper!
Thanks for the efforts. Understandably not "scientific", but certainly entertaining and also illuminating, one relative to the other.

You were very clear to mention that this is SUMMER fuel, then treated. I'd like to remind folks that anti-gel additives are complimentary of the base fuel; that is that they improve the condition relative to the base starting point. If you use winter fuel, then add a treatment, it will further reduce the CPP (cold pour point, and cloud point) by giving an ever better response to lower temps.

In my area (IN) blended fuel starts to show up around November, give or take a bit due to the prevailing temps. Fuel economy will degrade accordingly; the more #1 they blend in, the more the energy/pound drops, but the upside is that it's far less likely to "gel" as the distillates are modified with the #1 blended in, in greater percentages for colder temps. That local Cdn blend you showed certainly seemed to be well mixed; probably a lot of #1 in it!

There are a few folks I know of that never mix anything; they just trust what comes out of the pump. Winter fuel works "OK" for them. I, however, use an additive for all the benefits of the multi-service products. And, my now-infrequent use of my diesels means I might have purchased the fuel in September (summer fuel), but it sat around until December, until the truck or tractor got fired up. Therefore I must treat my fuel for the potential of delayed use into a season not anticipated by the fuel supplier. I treat my fuel with the PS/DFS year round. I realize that the silver bottle would be "better" in summer, but there's no assurance that my stored fuel will all be consumed prior to winter, so it all gets the white bottle year round.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PiperOne
I don't seem to have any other still shots of the Howes. I did take video of them all swirling (if they were liquid)..will work on posting that.

It did just as well as the PS and looked a bit more clear.

PiperOne, thank you very much for doing this test.

It's hard for me to understand the small differences in some of the results from the pictures. How did Stanadyne do in your test compared to Power Service and Howes?

Indestro

If I had to rank them....I'd say Howes, Stanadyne and then the Power Service...but they were all really close...really close. Given that the Howes is basically a winter issue only product where the PS and Stanadyne do a multitude of other things as well it makes sense. I would use any of the 3 with complete confidence based on what I saw though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back