Diesel fuel additives? What works?

Sorry if this is bringing up a beaten topic, but search doesn't seem to be coming up with much.

I bought an E-Series van, with the 7.3 PSD, that has relatively low miles and oodles of idle time.

Is there a recommended fuel system cleaner for diesels? From what I've seen it seems like nobody talks about it.

From a repair perspective, my engine feels kind of sluggish, but I have further vectors to investigate. I just figured maybe I'd throw some cleaner in to go along with it.

If you have any recommendations on oil additives, I could use those too, but I also know that this is the fuel side of things

Motorcraft PM 22A, winter version PM 23A
(This is rebranded Gold Eagle)

Power Service, silver bottle, winter version white bottle

winter version has anti-gel agents...

Most people use a Power Service or Stanadyne diesel fuel additive. But mostly its used to condition the fuel and provide lubricity. Some use Howes or TC-W3 two cycle oil.

A “cleaner” is something like liqui moly diesel purge. Run a couple cans through the engine right before an oil change.

An “all-in-one” formula like stanadyne performance formula is convenient however it contains solvents which can thin engine oil. Use a dedicated summer or winter formula as weather dictates.

I’ve tried all the major brands and the only one that ever did anything is Amalgamated TDR-FL. I can see the results with every oil analysis as well.

I've used Power Service for anti-gel and lubricity, but am currently using Schaeffer's Diesel Treat , both their winter and summer formulas. No issues with Power Service, but wanted to give the Schaeffer's a try. Both brands add lubricity, and have cleaners.
This is in an 80's Bolens/Iseki little tractor.

Power Service is readily available and does a decent job. I think Schaeffer's Diesel Treat is a better product, but you might have to order it.

One of the first things I would do is change the fuel filter(s). Give it a drink of whatever treatment you settle on and some fresh diesel, and drive it hard. You'll probably be shocked at the amount of carbon that comes out of it.

I'm currently using Howe's MPK. Got 8 quarts at $4.30/qt on clearance.

At just over the recommended rate, that's 64 fuelings so it should last me the better part of two years.

Howe's MPK (meaner power kleaner) is my preferred summer treatment. I was using Power Service because of the Cummins endorsement, but I find Howe's products work better IMO.

Just my $0.02

I have used a few brands over the years. I have been using Howes for the last few years. Power service prior to that. Lucas also used from time to time. Trucks, tractors, bobcat, etc. I have a lot of diesel powered equipment. Most is old but reliable. Proper maintenance is key. Here is what I suggest for your 7.3. Change the fuel filter. Add Seafoam to the filter per can instructions. Add Seafoam to the tank per can instructions. Add MMO to your crankcase, at least a quart. Seafoam works well at cleaning up dirty fuel systems. Run a few tanks of diesel with Seafoam. That should clear up the injectors then use Howes, or any quality additive, to maintain the system. MMO in the oil will help to clean up your ring packs and HEUI system by removing carbon and varnish. I use a 10% MMO to oil ratio. MMO says use up to a 20% ratio however I prefer 10% in a diesel. This will clean up your engine and you will notice an improvement. Run this for one or 2 oil changes. Top off the oil with MMO as needed because MMO evaporates. I use MMO in lots of neglected equipment, vehicles, and small engines that customers bring to me. It won't fix a worn engine however it will keep a good running engine in good shape. Keep us updated.

Last edited:
Nobody talks about this topic????

This is a good link with good information.

When I don't have soy diesel in the tank, I use Opti-Lube XPD to increase the fuel's lubricity. In the Midwest, pretty much every fill-up includes soy diesel, so there is no need for a lubricity additive. Out west, it's hit or miss on soy diesel, so I add Opti-Lube XPD.

Right - but MMO has not changed forever and MMO shows a worse test for lubricity than diesel fuel by itself. Its not the only additive. that show up that way.
Are you advocating for or against MMO?

IMO Marvel Mystery Oil has no business in any engine made in the last 40 years. Not in the fuel or oil.

That study is 14 years old.

OP said, there is no discussion. We have been discussing it for 14 years. LOL!!!
If you go to DP, you will see more thread on the discussion which is linked not just the report.
There are still people continuing the discussion.

One thing that is not often discussed is how a diesel additive handles water: Emulsifier (water droplets suspended in fuel, think Italian dressing), Demulsifier (water separates) and Solubilizer (water dissolves into fuel)

Power Service is Solubilizer
Stanadyne is a Demulsifier

A “cleaner” is something like liqui moly diesel purge. Run a couple cans through the engine right before an oil change.

An “all-in-one” formula like stanadyne performance formula is convenient however it contains solvents which can thin engine oil. Use a dedicated summer or winter formula as weather dictates.

I’ve tried all the major brands and the only one that ever did anything is Amalgamated TDR-FL. I can see the results with every oil analysis as well.
Diesel purge is mostly Diesel #2 (around 65%) with some other chemicals for detergents.

Back in the day, the way to use diesel purge was to unhook the fuel lines from the fuel filter so it sucks fuel out of the can (to the engine) and the return line back to the can. Since it's mostly Diesel #2, the engine can run off of it. Since the can isn't transparent, it's hard to gauge when you're nearly out of the stuff, which you risk getting air into the injection system. (easier to do it from a clean glass tomato glass jar).

I personally did that a few times, then switched to a different method: when I replaced the fuel filter, I would prime the fuel filter with a diesel additive (like Power Service Diesel Kleen), and would do the same thing. Initial concentrated shot of cleaner, as as fuel returns, gets more diluted.

Now, when you look at the can, it tells you to just throw it into the fuel filter, since it's easier and they probably had a lot of complaints about their original method.

btw, the old Mercedes Diesel folks love Star Tron Enzyme Diesel Fuel additive. And that was what I used back when I had a sail boat with a Volvo-Penta diesel engine.

I’ve seen the YouTube videos. I’ve never used it as I dose the TDR-FL additive with every tank.

Couldn’t you just let the fuel level drop till the fuel light comes on and then add the diesel purge then? Drive around for 15 minutes and then change the filter and fill it back up with fuel?

Diesel purge is mostly Diesel #2 (around 65%) with some other chemicals for detergents.

Back in the day, the way to use diesel purge was to unhook the fuel lines from the fuel filter so it sucks fuel out of the can (to the engine) and the return line back to the can. Since it's mostly Diesel #2, the engine can run off of it. Since the can isn't transparent, it's hard to gauge when you're nearly out of the stuff, which you risk getting air into the injection system. (easier to do it from a clean glass tomato glass jar).

I personally did that a few times, then switched to a different method: when I replaced the fuel filter, I would prime the fuel filter with a diesel additive (like Power Service Diesel Kleen), and would do the same thing. Initial concentrated shot of cleaner, as as fuel returns, gets more diluted.

Now, when you look at the can, it tells you to just throw it into the fuel filter, since it's easier and they probably had a lot of complaints about their original method.

btw, the old Mercedes Diesel folks love Star Tron Enzyme Diesel Fuel additive. And that was what I used back when I had a sail boat with a Volvo-Penta diesel engine.

I’ve seen the YouTube videos. I’ve never used it as I dose the TDR-FL additive with every tank.

Couldn’t you just let the fuel level drop till the fuel light comes on and then add the diesel purge then? Drive around for 15 minutes and then change the filter and fill it back up with fuel?
A can of Diesel purge isn't that much. It's only 500 ml (about 17 oz)

You'll have to buy a lot of cans of diesel purge to do what you want to do.

Back