Diesel Engine Electrolisis= Coolant Additives Used

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know, or should know that diesel engines for some reason create electrolisis and can rust or pin-hole out a cylinder or block in short time. Over the years I have tried different types of additives and coolants with the additives like Catapiller's brand antifreeze. Some of the products are very good. At this time I am sticking with Fleetguards Diesel Coolant Additive to fight the electrolisis...What are you using?

In my 95 PSD I have been using John Deere Coolant with the PreCharged Concentrate in it, and maintained with Motorcraft FW-16. In my 01 PSD I have the Factory Coolant maintained with the Motorcraft FW-16. I will be changing to the Zerex G0-5 shortly in the 01, hopefully eliminating testing and adding SCA's.

Just for info the Motorcraft FW-16 Coolant Supplement contains Na 17,500 and K 76,700. (These analysis numbers are provided compliments of Ed Hackett, one of our members. Thanks Ed.)

I have always subscribed to the bubble theory causing the pitting of the cylinder eventually causing a leak with out the proper nitrite (NO2), molybdate (MoO4) and the proper PH Balance (all tested using the Fleetguard coolant test strips). When you don't have a cylinder liner, it is hard for electrolysis to develop where there is not any dissimilar metals, and a pin hole leak forms at a given point in the middle of the cylinder from the coolant side. JMO

[ November 21, 2005, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I've seen a lot of that at the bottom end of wet liner engines.

It's typically cavitation rather than electrolysis. The metallurgy (and thus electropotential) is similar between petrol and diesel engines, so the phenomeno should be the same either way.

The cavitation explanation is that the liner moves, and in the low pressure void, tiny bubbles are formed. When these bubbles collapse, there is a tiny jet of water generating immense pressures. They can erode steel at a prodigious rate.

e.g. great big brass ship propellors 100 years ago, destroying themselves in days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back