Did the Toyota 17801-YZZ11 get shorter?

Hey folks,

I bought some parts from my local Toyota dealer parts department for a 60,000 mile service on my '17 Highlander. Much to my surprise when I opened the box to the engine air filter it is half the length as the previous OEM. Did Toyota makes this filter shorter or is something else going on here? I'm going to email the parts department in the morning.

Old filter on top, new on bottom:

IMG_1071.jpg

As long as the sealing edge is the same, it doesn't matter. I doubt the dealer is going to have fake parts and will spend much time with your email.

I haven't heard back from the parts department yet, but I did a little digging last night. The part # 17801-YZZ11 may be an alternative aftermarket sold only by Toyota. The OE part for my application is 17801-0P051 which is only a few bucks more and has the deep filter media. Both show up in the parts catalog for my VIN with no mention of one being a lesser alternative though. I ordered the YZZ11 because it was the same part # stamped on the filter I was replacing. I still don't understand why the filter media depth would be change, but perhaps they're just cutting costs on their aftermarket alternatives? I'm just surprised because the factory recommended air filter change is every 30,000 miles and I don't see how them selling an aftermarket with half the media could meet that spec.

Additionally I found this pdf showing what a site calls MVP part #s vs OE part #s. Interest note at the bottom that says MVP parts should not be used for warranty purposes :

Attachments

• AirFilters2017.pdf
    298.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Looks like fake parts especially for Denso, such rubber cutting is not passing standard
That was also a concern of mine. I emailed this pic to a parts department manager at a competing dealer to check if they’re seeing the same thing with their inventory of -YZZ11. Not sure I’ll get a reply, but will update here with anything relevant.

Okay gang I've got the official answer. I was able to contact the right folks and they were kind enough to forward along a memo regarding this change. -YZZ11 and -YZZ13 have in fact been shortened from 50mm depth to 30mm per Toyota's request. They both still meet all Toyota performance standards.
image002.jpg

Last edited:
Still, it's not alright as far as I'm concerned. I know they're not going to send out notices to every Highlander owner, just seems a little underhanded though. What is that, like 40% less filter media? That's a lot of dirt holding capacity difference.

At least aftermarket filters still have the full height.. I hope :cautious:

The aftermarket filters also cross to a Jeep and a Durango, so possibly you can get a Mopar filter if you want a same-size OEM filter :unsure:

There's also a Wix flame retardant filter for the Mopars that should fit your Highlander :D

Last edited:
The “revised” filter is more than adequate. The original filter for this application was way overkill for 30K intervals.
Seems to me that even a few years ago a company like Toyota was not going to spend more than they would have to. Japanese efficiency didn't just happen this year. I guess the customer is left holding the bag. Instead of a 60k mile filter we get a 30k one.

Hey folks,

I bought some parts from my local Toyota dealer parts department for a 60,000 mile service on my '17 Highlander. Much to my surprise when I opened the box to the engine air filter it is half the length as the previous OEM. Did Toyota makes this filter shorter or is something else going on here? I'm going to email the parts department in the morning.

Old filter on top, new on bottom:

View attachment 66835
I bought a Microguard Air Filter several years ago for a Sienna. It was a house brand of Oreillys. I was unpleasantly surprised to find it was half as thick when I opened the package.

Back