Did my first ATF drain and fill on a high mileage vehicle, when should I do it again?

It wasn’t a campaign, it is a warranty extension. These do not show up in a public vin inquiry.

And I definitely would not change the fluid again if you are trying to duplicate the shudder.
Oh ok, thanks. The warranty extension bulletin says to verify your VIN in the TIS. Not sure how I do that.

Oh ok, thanks. The warranty extension bulletin says to verify your VIN in the TIS. Not sure how I do that.
TIS is a system available to dealers. Not the public.
Also, you will probably get asked to approve a diagnostic fee (likely 1 hr labor) to verify the issue. Only if the symptoms match will the warranty apply.

TIS is a system available to dealers. Not the public.
Also, you will probably get asked to approve a diagnostic fee (likely 1 hr labor) to verify the issue. Only if the symptoms match will the warranty apply.
Ah ok, thanks so much. So basically I just need to call up a Toyota dealer and let them know about this issue in relation to the extended warranty, and then go from there? Also, the extended warranty is 8 years from first use or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. I’m under the 150,000 miles but I have no clue about first use since I was the second owner of the vehicle. When would a 2014 model first be used? Don’t they come out the year before the model date? So mine would have first come out sometime in 2013, but I’m hoping it wasn’t January, February, or March of 2013.

Ah ok, thanks so much. So basically I just need to call up a Toyota dealer and let them know about this issue in relation to the extended warranty, and then go from there? Also, the extended warranty is 8 years from first use or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. I’m under the 150,000 miles but I have no clue about first use since I was the second owner of the vehicle. When would a 2014 model first be used? Don’t they come out the year before the model date? So mine would have first come out sometime in 2013, but I’m hoping it wasn’t January, February, or March of 2013.
This site will tell you the original in-service date:

You have to advise them of a torque converter shudder and state that it may be relevant to the warranty extension. They will most likely ask for the diagnostic fee to verify, and waive it later on if warranty coverage applies.

Yes, the torque converter essentially attaches your engine to the transmission, it’s like the clutch, but a fluid coupling. The transmission has to come out to replace the torque converter, but the good news is, unless your converter has actually damaged the transmission the transmission doesn’t have to be rebuilt and torn apart/replaced. But it’s labor intensive to get the torque converter out.
I know this is a late response to your post, but I’m finally going to get the car into a Toyota dealer for the extended warranty that will replace the torque converter. My question for you is when they take out the transmission in order to replace the torque converter, will they be able to tell if the transmission was damaged by the torque converter? Just hoping I don’t get a call during the replacement saying ‘Hey looks like your torque converter messed up your transmission and we are going to have to replace that too’ Besides the torque converter shudder, seems like the transmission is working fine. Shifts fine, doesn’t seem to be any issues, but then again, I don’t know squat about transmissions. Thanks.

I know this is a late response to your post, but I’m finally going to get the car into a Toyota dealer for the extended warranty that will replace the torque converter. My question for you is when they take out the transmission in order to replace the torque converter, will they be able to tell if the transmission was damaged by the torque converter? Just hoping I don’t get a call during the replacement saying ‘Hey looks like your torque converter messed up your transmission and we are going to have to replace that too’ Besides the torque converter shudder, seems like the transmission is working fine. Shifts fine, doesn’t seem to be any issues, but then again, I don’t know squat about transmissions. Thanks.
I doubt it unless your torque converter caused the transmission pump to shred apart and dump metal into the valve body. I don’t think Toyota’s were known for that, so I think you should be ok.

Back