Did my first ATF drain and fill on a high mileage vehicle, when should I do it again?

So is what they did not good for my car? I always hear things about how flushing it when you never serviced it before can actually damage it?

Is it all possible that they did two drain and refills? I specifically told them not to do a flush, and the invoice says they performed a drain and refill so I guess I have no clue what was actually done. Maybe they overcharged me on the fluid?
You want to know the truth? They probably either did exactly what you told them not to do (a full flush), or they did a drain and fill and charged you for too much fluid. The thing that probably wasn’t good for your car was letting it go 138,000 miles without doing maintenance to your transmission.

And is the flush not good for your car? I’d say by the sounds of it, it actually helped (as your torque converter shudder went away). I wouldn’t worry all that much about a “flush”, it’s just an exchange of fluid.

Best advice, keep an eye on it now, because if that shudder comes back you want to take full advantage of that extended warranty.

Last edited:
I always hear things about how flushing it when you never serviced it before can actually damage it?
There are these mythical machines that use high pressure and inject fluid into the wrong cooling line (running the fluid backwards, so as to dislodge deposits), possibly using harsh detergents, that were used to "flush" the transmission. These are evil machines. Not related to the machines that are hooked up and use the transmission pump to exchange fluid in a non-pressurized manner. Nor related to a manual flush which is the same as "full fluid exchange", again using the transmission pump to move fluid.

So is what they did not good for my car? I always hear things about how flushing it when you never serviced it before can actually damage it?

Is it all possible that they did two drain and refills? I specifically told them not to do a flush, and the invoice says they performed a drain and refill so I guess I have no clue what was actually done. Maybe they overcharged me on the fluid?
Sorry to be blunt, but how could anyone know ? If you call the shop, they'll tell you what you want to hear, i.e. "they did the service you asked for". For the price they charged you, they could have done 2x drain-and-refill and still made plenty of margin. What's done is done though.

Sorry to be blunt, but how could anyone know ? If you call the shop, they'll tell you what you want to hear, i.e. "they did the service you asked for". For the price they charged you, they could have done 2x drain-and-refill and still made plenty of margin. What's done is done though.

Exactly, often they'll tell you what you want to hear, and do the job as they see fit. Many times the terms transmission fluid exchange, and flush are often used interchangeably. Unless you're standing there watching you have no idea what was done. At least that's how it is at most shops where I reside.

You want to know the truth? They probably either did exactly what you told them not to do (a full flush), or they did a drain and fill and charged you for too much fluid. The thing that probably wasn’t good for your car was letting it go 138,000 miles without doing maintenance to your transmission.

And is the flush not good for your car? I’d say by the sounds of it, it actually helped (as your torque converter shudder went away). I wouldn’t worry all that much about a “flush”, it’s just an exchange of fluid.

Best advice, keep an eye on it now, because if that shudder comes back you want to take full advantage of that extended warranty.
Thanks. I know I should have done service on the transmission but I had no clue and thought it was supposed to be “lifetime” fluid.

So since I may not be sure exactly what was done, should I get a drain and refill anytime soon?

Lifetime is the life of the warranty. If they did a total fluid exchange you should be good for another 50-60K miles, where I'd do another total fluid exchange again. All fluids in a car degrade over time and use, even in a sealed system. Toyota's transmission fluid is top quality so going 50-60K between services won't be a problem.

Thanks. I know I should have done service on the transmission but I had no clue and thought it was supposed to be “lifetime” fluid.

So since I may not be sure exactly what was done, should I get a drain and refill anytime soon?
I would do another. In my humble opinion. I'm no Master mechanic.

+1 And the vin# has to be included in the bulletin. "VerifyVIN applicability for thisWarranty Enhancementby checking TIS(Technical Information System) before completing any repairs."
OP You're going to have to bring it to them to confirm it is in fact covered.
So I tried going to this TIS technical information system to check my VIN applicability, i went to the area where it said “Look up safety recalls and service campaigns by VIN”
I entered my info but it says there’s nothing there. I am looking in the wrong spot? Why wouldn’t my TC issue come up if the extended warranty is 8 years/150,000 miles and I have a 2014 with 138,000 miles?

So I tried going to this TIS technical information system to check my VIN applicability, i went to the area where it said “Look up safety recalls and service campaigns by VIN”
I entered my info but it says there’s nothing there. I am looking in the wrong spot? Why wouldn’t my TC issue come up if the extended warranty is 8 years/150,000 miles and I have a 2014 with 138,000 miles?
I'd call Toyota directly and ask.

That lifetime fluid is a gimmick it’s just because they don’t care about the car after warranty. I always change the fluid in my Toyota’s around 30,000 sometimes 40,000. And do the filters too well my 2004 is the only one with a filter but I change it.

No problem I have all those numbers memorized in my head and tend to get them confused. I used to work as a Toyota mechanic. 🙂.
Thanks, unfortunately when I input my VIN in Toyota’s information system for recalls and service campaigns nothing shows up. Do you think calling them would even make a difference?

Thanks, unfortunately when I input my VIN in Toyota’s information system for recalls and service campaigns nothing shows up. Do you think calling them would even make a difference?
Always worth a try. I don’t know if it would make a difference but always worth a try. They might realize and fix it.

So a couple of questions here...noticed that Torque converter shudder reappeared a little less than a week after having my first drain and fill. Is there a way to change the fluid in the torque converter or does that get changed when you do the transmission fluid? Man, I wish I knew more about cars, I feel completely oblivious to all of this. Will draining and refilling my transmission fluid affect the fluid in the torque converter?

IIRC, drain and fill only replace about 25% or less of the fluid (not sure of the exact number). So, the majority of the fluid is still the old fluid.
The new fluid will mix with old fluid again and get recirculated.
Yes, it will replace the fluid in the TC but again, it is a mixed fluid.

I don't think it was a recall but was a TSB

I don't think it was a recall but was a TSB
It wasn’t a campaign, it is a warranty extension. These do not show up in a public vin inquiry.

And I definitely would not change the fluid again if you are trying to duplicate the shudder.

Back