Did my first ATF drain and fill on a high mileage vehicle, when should I do it again?

Can I ask what the typical cost is for a shop to do a drain and fill? Since I took mine to a dealer, I have a feeling I paid more than I had to if I had taken it somewhere else.
You may have paid more but prob worth it since they work on Toyotas all the time. I’d have them do a full fluid exchange this time. A transmission expert on here recommends doing a drain and fill first then doing a full exchange. So you’re doing things fine. Dealers here charge from 250 to 300 so shop around if you want. You can prob go 60k on the next interval.

I just did 3 drain and refills on my new to me 2011 Frontier. Did it myself with Valvoline Maxlife for less than $60.
The Frontier has 167K and I believe that it was its first transmission fluid change.

Thanks for all the replies. I paid around $300 for my drain and refill, and I know I need to do it again soon, but I’m trying to save $. How hard is it to do it yourself on a sealed transmission?

Thanks for all the replies. I paid around $300 for my drain and refill, and I know I need to do it again soon, but I’m trying to save $. How hard is it to do it yourself on a sealed transmission?
You have a drain plug, a fill plug and a fluid level check plug. It's very easy. Good rule of thumb is put back in the same amount as you took out.

Can you post a picture of the service invoice? Maybe they did a full exchange of fluid.

Sounds like they did a full fluid replacement. The service advisor wrote one thing and the tech did the service they normally do all the time. I’d prob rest easy and not worry abt it for awhile.

Sounds like they did a full fluid replacement. The service advisor wrote one thing and the tech did the service they normally do all the time. I’d prob rest easy and not worry abt it for awhile.
Ok, is a full fluid replacement the same as a flush? I specifically told them not to do a flush.

Looks like I may have read it wrong. On the line items it says 00289-ATFWS - World Standard AU which I assume is the transmission fluid and for quantity it says 6. So I assume that means 6 quarts?

Looks like I may have read it wrong. On the line items it says 00289-ATFWS - World Standard AU which I assume is the transmission fluid and for quantity it says 6. So I assume that means 6 quarts?
So, yes, that would be an entire fluid exchange (if they used 6 quarts), otherwise a simple drain and fill would be around 3 quarts.

So, yes, that would be an entire fluid exchange (if they used 6 quarts), otherwise a simple drain and fill would be around 3 quarts.
Ok, is that a bad thing? Like I said I never had the fluid serviced. And that is different from a complete flush, correct?

If you're getting a new torque converter anyway, none of this really matters.
Well I’m not sure about that now. That torque converter shudder sound went away after I got the transmission fluid serviced. So I’m not sure I’ll be able to replicate it for the extended warranty.

Sorry for so many questions, but is an entire fluid exchange the same thing as a flush?

Sorry for so many questions, but is an entire fluid exchange the same thing as a flush?
Yes and considering they indicate they used 6 quarts, that is definitely more than a drain-and-refill. Looks like your transmission holds 6.9 quarts and as I understand it, a full-blown "flush" usually uses more than the full capacity when it's cycled through so the technician was pretty lenient on you.

A drain-and-refill typically only drains 1/3 to 1/2 the total capacity.

Yes and considering they indicate they used 6 quarts, that is definitely more than a drain-and-refill. Looks like your transmission holds 6.9 quarts and as I understand it, a full-blown "flush" usually uses more than the full capacity when it's cycled through so the technician was pretty lenient on you.

So is what they did not good for my car? I always hear things about how flushing it when you never serviced it before can actually damage it?

Is it all possible that they did two drain and refills? I specifically told them not to do a flush, and the invoice says they performed a drain and refill so I guess I have no clue what was actually done. Maybe they overcharged me on the fluid?

Back