Did I make a noob mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Geonerd
FWIW, I wouldn't hesitate to pull alongside someone else who was also riding an 80's [censored] bike. Expressing an interest in a rider's machine usually greases the social wheels quite nicely.

Agreed.
I ride a '76 KZ900 and if I see another bike of that era at a stoplight, I'll sometimes roll up and exchange a quick nod.

But I couldn't imagine the shame I'd feel acting the way the idiot did next to the OP.

This is simple, really.

If the bike in front of you hugs the side of the lane when approaching a red light then that is an invitation to pull alongside.

Still, the guy you encountered was a douche.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
All this talk of Cagers < Bikers < Riders is so bloody pretentious and condescending.

As long as you ride or drive safe, what you choose to operate as far as vehicle type has absolutely no bearing on the operator.

PC stuff smells... hold your nose Bikers... roll down your windows Cagers...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beanoil

Baloney... I'm a motor vehicle, and entitled to my full lane width.

Is your vehicle as big as a whale???

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
All this talk of Cagers < Bikers < Riders is so bloody pretentious and condescending.

As long as you ride or drive safe, what you choose to operate as far as vehicle type has absolutely no bearing on the operator.

PC stuff smells... hold your nose Bikers... roll down your windows Cagers...

There is a real difference between being PC and being civil. Try being a asset to the discussions instead of a pretentious and condescending negative nancy.

Here in CA where lane splitting is legal it is not unusual at all for motorcycles to filter up to the intersection at a red light. Even with cars in the front.

Nowadays I'm retired, don't ride far or during busy times, and like a lot of room around me. I usually just hang back in my spot in traffic..

If someone pulled up next to me at light I wouldn't care -would let him leave first on the green.

Not the point... Doesn't make any difference if it's a scooter, a motorcycle, or a Can-Am Spyder that does take the full lane. (Yes I do have and ride all 3. 50 years, about 200k on the street.)At an intersection, you don't pull up and be two side by side, but in this particular case, especially with the OP not knowing what the situation entailed, he should have stayed back. You can sugar coat it all you want, but it has nothing to do with being friendly. If the OP pulled next to me, he has taken some of my space that I might need to make an evasive maneuver, blocked part of my view, and likely concealed me from others. He has taken some focus away from the scene at hand, and I miss the car coming from behind that can't stop. Or across the intersection, some little old Gramma sees two headlights and registers a car in her brain, completely missing that it is two bikes, possibly going in two different directions. And I'll tell the OP so, probably a little nicer than the encounter he had, but he will know before the discussion ends that he was wrong. This isn't a game, it's survival, and I'll do everything I can to come home alive to my kids. Again, MSF safety course for the OP. Maybe you too.

Not the point... Doesn't make any difference if it's a scooter, a motorcycle, or a Can-Am Spyder that does take the full lane. (Yes I do have and ride all 3. 50 years, about 200k on the street.)At an intersection, you don't pull up and be two side by side, but in this particular case, especially with the OP not knowing what the situation entailed, he should have stayed back. You can sugar coat it all you want, but it has nothing to do with being friendly. If the OP pulled next to me, he has taken some of my space that I might need to make an evasive maneuver, blocked part of my view, and likely concealed me from others. He has taken some focus away from the scene at hand, and I miss the car coming from behind that can't stop. Or across the intersection, some little old Gramma sees two headlights and registers a car in her brain, completely missing that it is two bikes, possibly going in two different directions. And I'll tell the OP so, probably a little nicer than the encounter he had, but he will know before the discussion ends that he was wrong. This isn't a game, it's survival, and I'll do everything I can to come home alive to my kids. Again, MSF safety course for the OP. Maybe you too.

I concur, this post puts it on the money. Just yesterday I had a car do the pull up and share my lane. In the mind of many, you don't get any lane you just get out of the road. Living where I do I encounter many Mexican drivers, SOP is the largest vehicle has the right of way and they use it on motorcycles weather moving or stopped. Use caution in the southwest.
Smoky

I agree, not even interested enough to be to involved in this thread. No one belongs next to me in MY space and lane. NO ONE. Cant believe this discussion is taking place for so long.
You mean to tell me, I have to TRUST EVERY STRANGER on a motorcycle to pull up to me and take off in a straight line/that they know how to ride? NO THANKS and glad it doesnt happen here in SC.
Heck in SC you dont even need a license to ride.

ADD to all the above, the hazards in the road and the hazards in front of you and behind you, you know, like that CAR or TRUCK that may not stop in time, what about that HUGE piece of tire tread left behind by some semi?
Ill have to worry about what some stranger is going to do before I can get away from someone rear ending me or avoiding an object?
Come on ... stay out on my space already, its a no brainer.

Your correct, I AM A MOTOR VEHICLE, like any car, truck, SUV, tractor trailer.
Hogging the road? I THINK NOT, Im entitled to my lane, my space.
What about the oversize SUV on the road, are they hogging the road? NO REASON for such a LARGE vehicle carrying one or two people.
That tiny smart car, would he be hogging a lane not wanting a motorcycle next to him/her? This whole thread is about common sense and safety. NO ONE is entitled to my space on the road.

(by the way, im not yelling *L*)

Last edited:
Maybe you too.

Thanks bean but in the 50 years of chasing my shadow down the perverted highway I've
completed not only all the MSF courses but also MSF instructor school... I also was asked to
try out for an instructor slot at Kieth Codes Superbike School...

A year-long California study of motorcycle lane-sharing has
concluded the practice is no more dangerous than motorcycling in
general, if the rider is traveling at speeds similar to or only
slightly faster than the surrounding traffic.

Last edited:
"California study of motorcycle lane"

There's the problem right there! Right up there with water management study. :eek:) ... (just messing with you) But seriously though, the government creates endless study's of everything because they have to create ways to spend your tax money and keep creating a paycheck with retirement to be paid for by you, it doesnt mean they are right and doesnt mean the study fits exactly the subject matter at hand.

Last edited:
I never pull up along side another biker in the same lane if I don't know the guy (or gal), but this guy was just being a jerk...

You know some Harley biker clubs absolutely despise foreign bikes. Especially the 1 percenter guys (outlaw bikers). Be a little cautious in the future as you dont know who you are dealing with.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You know some Harley biker clubs absolutely despise foreign bikes. Especially the 1 percenter guys (outlaw bikers). Be a little cautious in the future as you dont know who you are dealing with.

Yeah there are plenty of non 1%'er clubs that wont let you in if you do not have an American V twin bike. They don't seem to hate on people with European bikes(they tolerate us owners as just odd), but do have a foaming at the mouth hatred for all things Asian.

Yeah there are plenty of non 1%'er clubs that wont let you in if you do not have an American V twin bike. They don't seem to hate on people with European bikes(they tolerate us owners as just odd), but do have a foaming at the mouth hatred for all things Asian.

True... riding Rice ain't easy as riding Hog but I think 1% are fun bunch... wave and they
may return with the middle finger salute... pull along side at a light and receive a lecture
or the cold shoulder... I have better luck blowing kisses to the girl on the back...

True... riding Rice ain't easy as riding Hog but I think 1% are fun bunch... wave and they
may return with the middle finger salute... pull along side at a light and receive a lecture
or the cold shoulder... I have better luck blowing kisses to the girl on the back...

My friend who rides a Yamaha R1 tried similar antics at a bike night and ended up with an abdominal stab wound when a small 1% club member did not appreciate his attitude. Not worth it to provoke strangers.

My friend who rides a Yamaha R1 tried similar antics at a bike night and ended up with an abdominal stab wound when a small 1% club member did not appreciate his attitude. Not worth it to provoke strangers.

In 50 years of antics none of my friends have been hurt... you have to learn there are two
types of 1%... those who have nothing to loose and will kill you and those who have
mortgagees and kids with everything to loose...

I really don't care for riding with people I don't know. I don't pull up next to people at red lights that I don't know. Not that I'm anti-social or anything, I just don't know their skill level, condition, or attitude.

Ride Safe

In 50 years of antics none of my friends have been hurt... you have to learn there are two
types of 1%... those who have nothing to loose and will kill you and those who have
mortgagees and kids with everything to loose...

Again...that is why I say never mess with strangers. Even the straight looking ones can be total nutcases or just snap. Always reminds me of the classic 90s flick Falling Down. Unless you know the person, I find it is always best to give people their space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back