DID Chain problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 7K miles my DID "o" ring chain is spitting out the "O" rings, actually "X" rings. I'm so easy on the chain that it has only needed to be adjusted once in the period. It is cleaned and oiled on a regular basis.
Anybody have any similar problems with DID products? I got a standard letter from DID stating I must have used a wire brush to clean the chain, wrong lube etc. Since the rings are tearing from side to side over a 2mm diagonal I doubt it is something I'm doing, unless riding causes it. My OEM chain lasted 20K miles before the "O" rings started to go. I thought the new "X" ring was suppose to be superior to "O" rings, maybe not.
What are you guys using for chain and what service life are you getting.
Thanks
Smoky the disgusted !

Always had good luck with o ring chains so I have never bought an x ring one. so I'm no help. As long as your lube is compatible I'm stumped.

Just changed to DID x-ring VX530 chains on my Suzuki GSX1250FA. Original chain was a RK o-ring chain which lasted 45k km and still look ok to carry on using. Using scottoiler with dua injectors and regular cleaning with RP7 since bought the bike new. No issue at all.

Something is definitely wrong. I have been using DID X rings since the 90's and RK O Rings before that and never lost a ring.
My chains stretched from high HP and still lasted 25K Km.

It sounds like cheap lube, not lubing the chain properly or some sort of misalignment causing stress on the side plates.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Something is definitely wrong. I have been using DID X rings since the 90's and RK O Rings before that and never lost a ring.

It sounds like cheap lube, not lubing the chain properly or some sort of misalignment causing stress on the side plates.

Trav: I'm using PJ1 Blue chain lube and the wheels are aligned and the chain is only about .010 out of alignment. The sprockets run in parallel and they show no side wear normally scene with a chain alignment problem. I would have shimmed the counter sprocket but couldn't find one the size of the counter shaft. I've seen o rings break across the cross section, quite common out here in the desert southwest as the sun make it tuff on rubber. Mine are ripping on a diagonal of about 2mm inside to outside of the ring. I'm stumped and don't think I've ever scene this problem in all my years as a bike mechanic.

Thanks for your thoughts on my problem.

Smoky

What did xring is it?

Having said that if your orings are drying and cracking in 7,000 miles. I mean Ive seen chains wear out in that time frame but not xrings or orings from rk or DID where they are drying out and cracking, like that.

So I would think some chemical with like an alcohol product would do it. Maybe road salts would do it, but very unusual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smoky14

Trav: I'm using PJ1 Blue chain lube and the wheels are aligned and the chain is only about .010 out of alignment. The sprockets run in parallel and they show no side wear normally scene with a chain alignment problem. I would have shimmed the counter sprocket but couldn't find one the size of the counter shaft. I've seen o rings break across the cross section, quite common out here in the desert southwest as the sun make it tuff on rubber. Mine are ripping on a diagonal of about 2mm inside to outside of the ring. I'm stumped and don't think I've ever scene this problem in all my years as a bike mechanic.

Smoky

Your lube is OK......What products are you using to clean it, and what technique are you using?

i have raced with DID X-ring chains for 14+ years now and NEVER had a problem with them.

yes, i've got to believe you used a brush on it that ate the x-rings up.

when mine has been packed with mud and looked like rope i use a grunge brush (tm) on it and wd40. lately been using a lot of dry spray teflon.

steve

Smoky

Very strange i have only ever seen this on chains that ran dry a long time. All i can think of is the lube isn't staying on the rings.
I cant comment on the lube, i never used it.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
i have raced with DID X-ring chains for 14+ years now and NEVER had a problem with them.

yes, i've got to believe you used a brush on it that ate the x-rings up.

when mine has been packed with mud and looked like rope i use a grunge brush (tm) on it and wd40. lately been using a lot of dry spray teflon.

steve

Steve: the only brush used on this chain was an Oral-B soft tooth brush and then only on the side of the links. In my shop I've put DID into service on my customer's bikes for years without a problem. The sides of the "X" ring show signs of abrasion to the point of ripping the ring apart, like the side links never got polished or had burrs.
To be honest I've gotten better service from bulk non-ring chain. My normal wear is 40K plus using kerosene and PJ1.

Smoky

smoky,

well that toothbrush sure as heck didnt do it. hmmmmm.

any other chains you have serviced having an issue?

either it was 1 really bad (defective?) chain from mfg or it was a really wrong lube (ie gasoline?) that got accidentally put on

if its a single incident, toss it and move on.

steve

If you spend a lot of time at high speeds the xrings do extend life a lot over the orings, significant less heat buildup, which aides the internal grease from not oxidizing as fast over the chain life.

We have been using DiD on our track bikes for years and just bought a new one yesterday.

The only time I have seen O/X rings come out is when the master was pressed on to tight causing sprocket wear.

Well after about a month the problem has been solved. I sent the chain 530VX back to DID and they said " this is a well cared for chain which shows no wear". They are going to tear it apart and try to figure out what happened.
In the mean time they sent me a 530 zvm2 as replacement even though it was out of warrantee by 30days.

Smoky

seems like DID is a very reputable company then.
giving you a better product as replacement for an issue you had that was out of warranty (if by only 30days).
hopefully they will find out what happened and tell you so we can all find out.

it is great service like this that will keep me going back to DID for my chains.

thx for the update

Well after about a month the problem has been solved. I sent the chain 530VX back to DID and they said " this is a well cared for chain which shows no wear". They are going to tear it apart and try to figure out what happened.
In the mean time they sent me a 530 zvm2 as replacement even though it was out of warrantee by 30days.

Smoky

The VX line is cheap chain, you got the real thing on the second try. Especially great since the latter costs substantially more to obtain over the vx line.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mackelroy

Smoky

The VX line is cheap chain, you got the real thing on the second try. Especially great since the latter costs substantially more to obtain over the vx line.

Well, I just ordered the VX 525 DID chain and was under the impression they were pretty decent. I also got JT sprockets. Hope I have better luck than the Original poster.

They are decent as far as average chain amongst brand competition, the DID zvm2 line is top dog.

All brands have there cheaper lines and more expensive lines.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
They are decent as far as average chain amongst brand competition, the DID zvm2 line is top dog.

All brands have there cheaper lines and more expensive lines.

Gotcha. Mine need to be replaced bad and one fellow owner told me he got 20K out of this setup so I went with what he suggested. I would be happy if I could get 15K out of it to be honest. I dont hot rod anymore and I would like to think I am fairly easy on equipment in general these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back