Did anyone buy a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really on the fence after hearing people complain about how it has problems holding onto a signal in weak areas, or how it simply can't use LTE where another Verizon LTE phone can.

The battery thing isn't a huge deal since that's more caused by people fiddling with their new toy 24/7, and by weak coverage (which kills any phone).

Hoping some folks can be objective about it and talk about their ownership experience versus their previous VZW phone.

One guy on here has one. I work for AT&T and use dozens of phones each year as work devices. I only say this because it always seems that Samsung has weak antennas compared to the competition. I hope the reception issue isnt as bad as people are making it out to be online.

Seems like Samsung and HTC's antennas don't really perform as well as companies like Motorola and RIM.

Last edited:
What's your impression of the Skyrocket? Love the GS2 and with LTE it seems like it's unbeatable. Last time I had AT&T was 3 years ago right when the iPhone 3G came out...their network was garbage and way overloaded.

I just bought the Verizon HTC Rezound and am very happy with it, especially after reading the Verizon user reviews for it and the Nexus. It appears that the Rezound is actually a better phone in reception, clarity, battery life, construction, reliability, etc. The only real advantage the Nexus has is Ice Cream Sandwich, which will soon be available for the Rezound, and some people don't like anyway.

just got galaxy S2 on Sprint, Epic Touch 4G they call it. simply awesome!

Their network is still overloaded. But it is leaps and bounds better than it was. And the skyrocket is really nice. Great battery life for an LTE phone. Hard to beat.

My brother has the new Nexus on VZW. He just bought it earlier this month, to replace an older HTC Incredible. So far, he likes it, and hasn't had any negatives that I know of. If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to ask him.

I actually just got back from the VZW store again. Predictably, both of their Galaxy Nexuses (Nexii? lol) couldn't get on 4G at all. The Rezound, Revolution, Razr, and every other 4G phone was holding the 4G signal just fine. Ruled out the GN right on the spot since this seems to confirm what a lot of people said.

I think you're right about the Rezound. The signal quality registered as best (at least 5-7dbm better than the others) and the phone feels rock-solid. The Beats thing is silly and Sense is a bit bloated but that can be fixed.

The Skyrocket is still a sweet phone. Hard choice, but Verizon's network is really really good.

If you aren't on contract and really are considering the skyrocket just keep in mind AT&T's lte is limited to only a handful of markets at the moment.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I love HTC's Sense. Wish they had the Rezound out when I bought the Incredible 2 a few months ago.

From everything I read, the Rezound is basically an Inc/Inc2 with a bit more horsepower, 720p, and LTE. It's very similar in feel.

Originally Posted By: jigen
If you aren't on contract and really are considering the skyrocket just keep in mind AT&T's lte is limited to only a handful of markets at the moment.

They have it in Chicago (home for me) and DC (where I travel often for work). The HSPA+ infrastructure is quite fast if LTE is unavailable. I routinely hear about people getting 5Mbps+ on HSPA+, and of course 20+ on LTE.

Yup. Hspa+ is very nice, especially the devices that support the 21mbps speeds. I would hit between 4-6mbps often, highest I've see on hspa+ was 8mbps.

Skyrocket in one of the corporate stores downtown wasn't getting LTE for some reason, but on HSPA+ the Speedtest.net app showed 10Mbps three times in a row (different server each time)! Impressive.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser

I have this phone too, on Sprint. It's the best! Smooth, responsive and super reliable. The screen is beautiful, and since the phone itself is so thin and sleek, you get the benefit of the large screen yet it still fits comfortably in your pocket.

I just couldnt stand the form factor of the s2 when I shopped it. Howis it working out? The 4.3" form factor or whatever it was, was just obnoxious to me compared to the iphone.

I did try out the big brother samsung tablet today in Chicago and really like it a lot!

Originally Posted By: dparm
From everything I read, the Rezound is basically an Inc/Inc2 with a bit more horsepower, 720p, and LTE. It's very similar in feel.

If it's similar in construction, I think you'll like it a lot, if you buy it (or have already bought it). The Inc2 is constructed of what seems like an aluminum body wrapped around a 4.0" screen. It's a wonderful phone, and the software has been rock solid for me. I didn't care for Motorola's interpretation of Android, but I'm loving Sense. I'd love to see that 720p screen. I thought the Inc2 was already good, but it's "only" 480x800.

Honestly you don't really notice the HD screen unless you're consciously looking for it. It's sharper than the 800x480 screens, but the 960x540 looks really good too.

Originally Posted By: jigen
One guy on here has one. I work for AT&T and use dozens of phones each year as work devices. I only say this because it always seems that Samsung has weak antennas compared to the competition. Seems like Samsung and HTC's antennas don't really perform as well as companies like Motorola and RIM.
The reception on my Samsung Admire has been getting lower, since 2 months ago and i got it new when it just came out.I'm sending it to their repair facility in TX soon. My wife has a Samsung Code and she always has 2 or 3 more bars than my phone has.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I just couldnt stand the form factor of the s2 when I shopped it. Howis it working out? The 4.3" form factor or whatever it was, was just obnoxious to me compared to the iphone.

I did try out the big brother samsung tablet today in Chicago and really like it a lot!

Some people don't like the bigger screen. I personally love my Galaxy S II, and hoenstly I'm not really having any issues on AT&Ts network. It's vastly improved over the 4 years since we've been here, and everywhere I go on a daily basis, and nearly all places that I go whenever, I get HSPA, though not super impressive speeds, it's perfectly acceptable for web browsing and streaming music from google music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back