Diagnosis Confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by GZRider
Agree first step is to check the power steering pump so OP doesn't toast the replacement alternator. After that $250 for a OEM alternator on a car you still enjoy and which was built like the oldschool LS seems worth the cost to me.

✅. I got one coming into Greensboro tomorrow. My faithful LS will carry me on.

A related question. If it's a Denso reman alternator, I would assume the rebuilding was done by Denso. Is someone saying it might be a Denso manufactured alternator that has now been reman by some Mexican or Chinese company doing it as cheap as possible?

Originally Posted by Donald
A related question. If it's a Denso reman alternator, I would assume the rebuilding was done by Denso. Is someone saying it might be a Denso manufactured alternator that has now been reman by some Mexican or Chinese company doing it as cheap as possible?

Go to parts geek and search 1998 LS 400 alternator and give me your opinion after reviewing the 2 Denso alternators.

I think you can use different parts???? OEM or other cheaper parts???

Originally Posted by Gebo

Go to parts geek and search 1998 LS 400 alternator and give me your opinion after reviewing the 2 Denso alternators.

I think you can use different parts???? OEM or other cheaper parts???

A local rebuilder said for example, he would replace the diode bridge if it had a bad diode. The cheap rebuilds would solder in new diodes. And then there are the alternators which are crap to start with like Mando.

Originally Posted by mk378
The voltage looks OK. I would expect some drop at idle with all the accessories on. Test at 1500 rpm instead.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm embarrassed to go to an auto parts store and have them check it and then go somewhere else and buy an alternator.

I just can't do it. What's wrong with me? It makes me feel like I'm 18 again and telling a girl I love her just to get 20 minutes of her affection.

I realize I may have some deep psychological issues from my childhood but....

You just need to be ready to give them a line so you can walk away. I don't think they really care if they have a sale or not unless you get a manager. So in your case, if the alternator was bad, you'd just say that you'd think about it, maybe you'll get rid of the car. Simple.

Also Autozone has it for $212 before the 20% discount code and it's a lifetime warranty. I suppose you could have them test it to make sure it works before taking it. Only thing about buying an OEM alternator is that they don't typically warranty their stuff for more than a year or two. I'd rather get a lifetime warranty if you're going to keep the car for a while.

I'm embarrassed to go to an auto parts store and have them check it and then go somewhere else and buy an alternator.

I just can't do it. What's wrong with me? It makes me feel like I'm 18 again and telling a girl I love her just to get 20 minutes of her affection.

I realize I may have some deep psychological issues from my childhood but....

Don't be embarrassed. I work at a parts store and totally don't care if you want your alternator tested and buy one elsewhere. I wouldn't buy our rebuilt junk alternators either! Lifetime warranty won't help yoy when it leaves you stranded. Would much rather get one from the dealer if a new one at our store wasn't an option. Our aftermarket new ones are VERY good... I ALWAYS use those on my vehicles, friends&family, etc. Whenever possible. Thankfully I mostly work on older domestic trucks so we stock or can order new ones. 0 failures on those. But I just pulled one of our (less than 6 months installed) rebuilts off my Suburban and put a new one in because the rebuilt one was putting a bunch of ripple out and draining the battery.

Last edited:
I had iasue which seemed like alternator problems. On removal if alternator i saw the big red wire to have that white corrosion stuff on it. Sanded the connection clean and applied some contact cleaner and reconnected it and same alternator been working for 6 more years now.
Also upgraded earth cables to bigger ones too.

FWIW I've had an Autozone alternator on my Camry for 6 (?) months now. Seems ok. I tried to replace the brushes in the original, but no go, so it must be the regulator and/or diodes. I never got around to taking my core back for the core return (oops), so if the Autozone ever gives me grief, I will redecide then what to do. If I was smart I'd buy a regulator now and think about swapping into the OEM part, just in case! but it's like 10 minutes to swap in a parking lot, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort now.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Any rebuild shops around? Rebuild of the factory alternator is always my first choice.

Not around here. I feel the Lexus OEM for $250 is a great deal.

Yeah, why spend $100 on junk ?
I'm sorry. I don't understand. Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me?

I think you are agreeing with me.

Yes.

I agree with you. Spend more $$$ for better quality.

Well, I sucked it up.

O'Reilly load test 11.6

Alternator it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back