Dexter and Masuka

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a little crazy considering I live on the lake....but no complaints yet from neighbors.

These are 8 week old Fainting Goats. I want them as pets....basically they will be dogs with horns. These 2 are hypersensitive to fainting....which means they are really docile and chill. Had them home for 2 days so far...and they already doing decent being walked on a leash.

Meet Dexter and Masuka:

IMG_20140828_181800621.jpg

Originally Posted By: dave123
Doe Buck neutered?? why not dehorned??

They are wethers....which in goat lingo, means castrated males. I have zero interest in breeding, and almost everyone thinks that wethers make the best pets because there is no animal in heat, and lower testosterone = less aggressive.

Originally Posted By: Finz
I'll research this as well but do they really faint ? As in keel over?

These goats have a condition where their muscles lock-up temporarily when startled. And they usually fall over. But they don't faint or loose consciousness. I got Fainters because they don't climb as much as typical goats and aren't known as escape artists. Lake property owners would be upset.

Fainting goats originated in Tennessee in mid-1800's...I think. Research and you'll find out these goats are the source for the term, "scapegoat".

They almost went extinct fairly recently.... But thanks to YouTube, they are making a big gone back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: dave123
Doe Buck neutered?? why not dehorned??

They are wethers....which in goat lingo, means castrated males. I have zero interest in breeding, and almost everyone thinks that wethers make the best pets because there is no animal in heat, and lower testosterone = less aggressive.

Originally Posted By: Finz
I'll research this as well but do they really faint ? As in keel over?

These goats have a condition where their muscles lock-up temporarily when startled. And they usually fall over. But they don't faint or loose consciousness. I got Fainters because they don't climb as much as typical goats and aren't known as escape artists. Lake property owners would be upset.

Fainting goats originated in Tennessee in mid-1800's...I think. Research and you'll find out these goats are the source for the term, "scapegoat".

They almost went extinct fairly recently.... But thanks to YouTube, they are making a big gone back.

yep, keep a few of these in your flock, and when a big predator comes along,and startles the group, these guys lock up, and fall to the ground, drawing the predator to them (easy target) allowing the rest of the herd to escape.

kinda sad they they are "sacrificial", but...(cue Lion King Circle of Life Montage)

Sad to say, but roaming large dogs and goats don't mix very well. A dog of size will grab goats by the neck or throat and kill them. As a teen on a farm I found out just how incompatible goats and stray-roaming dogs are. So watch out if you have stray-roaming dogs in your area.

I don't know about Masuka, but Dexter is a predator, not prey
wink.gif

Cool pets. A friend had pygmy goats on his small farm. They were a blast, though sometimes annoying. Very playful, they'd keep butting their heads against your thigh until you'd play with them.

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
Sad to say, but roaming large dogs and goats don't mix very well. A dog of size will grab goats by the neck or throat and kill them. As a teen on a farm I found out just how incompatible goats and stray-roaming dogs are. So watch out if you have stray-roaming dogs in your area.

I built an over-the-top pen for them. Nothing is getting in....Nothing is getting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back