DEXRON V1 MERCON LV Multivehicle ATF

Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil, and others sell licenced DEXRON V1 MERCON LV as multivehicle fluids and claim performance requirements for a range of vehicles.

How do the above-mentioned companies manage to combine the two specifications as a multivehicle ATF without affecting the licence requirements of both.

Does this mean the two specifications are similar and if this is true then perhaps this combination of the two specifications is the holy grail of multivehicle ATF.

Perhaps this may be the nail in the coffin of vehicle manufacturers that specified their own fairy dust sprinkled ATF.

How do the above-mentioned companies manage to combine the two specifications as a multivehicle ATF without affecting the licence requirements of both.
The additive manufacturers do that for the companies you mentioned. Step-shift automatics are built very similarly, so are the friction materials they use. The additive manufacturers like Afton Chemical, Lubrizol, etc., create DI packages that cover a wide range of specifications. They're not going to create a separate add pack for each transmission, that would be crazy. Instead, they consolidate similar specifications into one additive package. That's how they do it. Though, if you want a high quality MV ATF, go for a boutique brand like AMSOIL, Red Line, or HPL, as these use the most expensive materials and additive packages available.

The additive manThank you for the info. Amsoil, Red Line and HPL are not exactly thick on the ground in Australia. Will probably use Castrol Transmax DEXRON®-VI MERCON® LV as a multivehicle ATF in lieu of Valvoline Maxilife.ufacturers do that for the companies you mentioned. Step-shift automatics are built very similarly, so are the friction materials they use. The additive manufacturers like Afton Chemical, Lubrizol, etc., create DI packages that cover a wide range of specifications. They're not going to create a separate add pack for each transmission, that would be crazy. Instead, they consolidate similar specifications into one additive package. That's how they do it. Though, if you want a high quality MV ATF, go for a boutique brand like AMSOIL, Red Line, or HPL, as these use the most expensive materials and additive packages available.
Thank you for the info. Amsoil, Red Line and HPL are not exactly thick on the ground in Australia. Will probably use Castrol Transmax DEXRON®-VI MERCON® LV as a multivehicle ATF in lieu of Valvoline Maxilife.

Thank you for the info. Amsoil, Red Line and HPL are not exactly thick on the ground in Australia. Will probably use Castrol Transmax DEXRON®-VI MERCON® LV as a multivehicle ATF in lieu of Valvoline Maxilife.
Look for Castrol TranSynd TES 668 then. It's thicker and doesn't shear. It has the latest friction modification chemistry from Infineum, so it will compatible with just about any step shift automatic transmission.

Look for Castrol TranSynd TES 668 then. It's thicker and doesn't shear. It has the latest friction modification chemistry from Infineum, so it will compatible with just about any step shift automatic transmission.
Depends on the application. What does the OP need the fluid for?

2017 Hyundai Elantra
So it needs a SP-IV compatible fluid. No personal experience, but a lot of forum members swear by Maxlife.

Also, to answer your original question, yes, GM Dexron VI and Ford LV are pretty similar specs and there are multiple fluids on the market that are licensed for both types at the same time.

Last edited:
So it needs a SP-IV compatible fluid. No personal experience, but a lot of forum members swear by Maxlife.

Also, to answer your original question, yes, GM Dexron VI and Ford LV are pretty similar specs and there are multiple fluids on the market that are licensed for both types at the same time.
Thank you. I have used Maxilife Dex111 in other older vehicles with no issue. Will give the licenced product I stated a go and will be surprised if I have any issues.

I guess Maxlife is OK, but let’s hear about Maxlife in a transmission that went 200,000 miles on it instead of “my transmission loves it”.
I'd say I've used it for at least 200K out of the 470K on my old Sienna, and for at least 100K on the Accord. My old BMW never made it to 200K (but not because of the transmission) but I used it for a very long time there as well. What do you want to know about it?

I'd say I've used it for at least 200K out of the 470K on my old Sienna, and for at least 100K on the Accord. My old BMW never made it to 200K (but not because of the transmission) but I used it for a very long time there as well. What do you want to know about it?
You gave me three data points. Two two did not support evidence of going 200,000 miles on it. Thanks anyway.

You gave me three data points. Two two did not support evidence of going 200,000 miles on it. Thanks anyway.
Well okay. One is good then, right?

I'm not sure what that magical miles has to do with it but I'll work real hard on getting there for the Accord. Looking back I started using Maxlife in it around the 150,000 mile mark so it won't be long. That should be a good data point since everyone seems to think the transmission grenades if you don't use ATF-DW1.

I realize that you won't appreciate this data point either but I'm 1/4 the way there in the Tiguan. Give me some more time please.

A little misunderstanding here. I want to see evidence that the transmission went 200,000 miles on Max Life. Not that someone started using it at 150,000 and they went to 200,000. Thanks again.
No. my Accord is at about 320,000. So since I started at 150,000, once it makes it to 350,000 I'll have your second data point.

The Sienna is good to go way beyond your requirement.

I have done a few D&Rs on my 2016 Ford Escape’s 6F35 using Castrol Full Synthetic MV ATF which claims to be both Mercon LV and Dexron VI approved. I add Lubegard red at each D&R and have had no issues in the 70+K miles I’ve owned the vehicle. It’s not surprising that the Mercon LV and Dexron VI are very similar since the transmission in my Ford was a ‘joint venture’ with GM if I’m not mistaken.

2017 Hyundai Elantra
TES 668 will work perfectly fine in that step shift 6-speed transmission. I've used it before in Hyundai 6-speed. The best advice I can give you is to do three drains and fills, and reset adaptive values and make the transmission re-learn the oil for each gear shift. You can do that with most advanced hand-held scanners.

Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil, and others sell licenced DEXRON V1 MERCON LV as multivehicle fluids and claim performance requirements for a range of vehicles.

Does this mean the two specifications are similar and if this is true then perhaps this combination of the two specifications is the holy grail of multivehicle ATF.

Perhaps this may be the nail in the coffin of vehicle manufacturers that specified their own fairy dust sprinkled ATF.

At least for Valvoline their "DEXRON VI and MERCON LV" is GM licensed Dex 6 BUT only "recommended" for LV.

In relation to my question on DEXRON V1 MERCON LV as multivehicle fluid, I am happy with the info provided on the forum.

It would be helpful when people report their experience with a particular multivehicle ATF that they provide the type of transmission, model, and year of vehicle as some vehicles will be happy with its multivehicle ATF as the vehicle may have older ATF requirements and therefore will not produce any issues.

Perhaps the same may not be said of all transmissions and it would be interesting to have a data base of what works and what does not work for various transmissions using a range of multivehicle licenced and non-licenced ATF brands. This would not be a comparison between OEM and aftermarket ATF.

Just a though for perhaps educating people like me and others.

Back