Dexron II/III Alternatives

Hello, I have a 3rd. generation 94 Toyota Camry V6 XLE and would like an opinion on what Dexron alternative fluid is a good fit for a higher mileage transmission... Thanks.l

TES-295...

Same viscosity as Dexron III, but a full synthetic...

Valvoline or Castrol Dex/Merc. I'm always leery adding synthetic to an older transmissions. Specd for Dex III and millions of Toyotas have gone millions of miles using it. And it's cheap so frequent changes is on the table. I have an 03' Matrix and use Castrol Import MV with no problems.

I think I would stick to a Dex III type fluid. Dex VI might be too thin in that vintage with high mileage but hopefully our very knowlegeable member @clinebarger will chime in.

I think I would stick to a Dex III type fluid. Dex VI might be too thin in that vintage with high mileage but hopefully our very knowlegeable member @clinebarger will chime in.
The old DEXRON-III specification was not required to retain its viscosity like DEXRON-VI fluids. It may start out thicker but DEXRON-VI is guaranteed to retain the viscosity better. That is a key aspect of the upgraded specification along with superior oxidation resistance. DEXRON-VI is a superior specification in every aspect.

Any universal multivehicle ATF

I'd use Mobil1 ATf

If that is out of your budget, then find some Asian/Import/HM Castrol/Pennzoil/Valvoline ATF

Any Mercon-V is a great choice too

The old DEXRON-III specification was not required to retain its viscosity like DEXRON-VI fluids. It may start out thicker but DEXRON-VI is guaranteed to retain the viscosity better. That is a key aspect of the upgraded specification along with superior oxidation resistance. DEXRON-VI is a superior specification in every aspect.
I agree with your statement and you certainly have proof to back up you up based on your signature alone. I would still like too see what input @clinebarger might have especially when the OE fluid was plain old Dex III.

Last edited:
There are lots of Dex III clones out there if you wan't something on the cheaper end of the spectrum. They'll work fine for your application.

I've used Maxlife and Mercon V successfully in older vehicles that originally spec Dex III. Valvoline Mercon V specifically lists Dex III as one of the compatible applications.

I do agree kschachn ^^^^^^^^

One side thought... No one legitimate blender forgot how to blend a Dex/Merc fluid. There are those fluids out there that can work just fine. I have Warren oil Dex/Merc III in the 98 Camry that has been excellent.

And of course the old Mercon or Dexron III license is no longer current. It is a matter of trust in the manufacturer of the product one uses. There is no doubt about that.

Any universal multivehicle ATF

I'd use Mobil1 ATf

If that is out of your budget, then find some Asian/Import/HM Castrol/Pennzoil/Valvoline ATF

Any Mercon-V is a great choice too
I was thinking about using walmart supertech mercon V, The label says it's compatible with Dexron II and III...

Back