Dexron II for my '02 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you that are weird like me, you can check out the history of ATF's by Professor John Kelly at Weber St on YouTube. He has several different videos going through the history of GM, Ford and Toyota. I don't know about any others. I only watched the GM and Toyota ones. They are long but it is amazing to hear the science behind the evolution of ATF's.

I've watched them both 2 times. I'm easily fascinated and entertained.
34.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
.....I am leery of fluids that say they cover all vehicles from a to z......
A 2017 article in Lubesngreases finds such concerns to be unwarranted, unfounded. Unfortunately, the article can no longer be seen without a subscription. Fortunately member Hootbro quoted key points from the article in his post in a thread about Multivehicle ATFs. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-meets-many-specs-how-can-it#Post4470618

Key points quoted "With some 12 million vehicles serviced annually with multi-vehicle ATF technologies, these fluids are providing the proper level of protection against transmission failure"

Further, " Based on additive company estimates, including an average vehicle mileage of 10,000 miles per year, multi-vehicle ATF technologies have accumulated over 5.5 trillion miles of real-world experience since their introduction"

I've have good results over many miles using MaxLife MV ATF in both Honda and an older Tacoma application, the latter specing DexII/III. So using the data and personal experience, chasing an old DexII/III ATF spec is an unnecessary exercise.

I said i was leery not scared, and with so many options avalible. I am can find a product with a specification and price point i am happy with.
Do i feel that i will get a benefit from a higher priced synthetic that gets changed at the factory recommend interval? No so why would I change to a synthetic at higher cost because the fluid it was born with has been discontinued.
One size fits most....not all

Originally Posted by Gebo
For those of you that are weird like me, you can check out the history of ATF's by Professor John Kelly at Weber St on YouTube. He has several different videos going through the history of GM, Ford and Toyota. I don't know about any others. I only watched the GM and Toyota ones. They are long but it is amazing to hear the science behind the evolution of ATF's.

34.gif

You and the professor don't know about ATF' s up to recently Toyota and GM were the same.

...I said i was leery not scared, and with so many options avalible. I am can find a product with a specification and price point i am happy with.
Do i feel that i will get a benefit from a higher priced synthetic that gets changed at the factory recommend interval? No so why would I change to a synthetic at higher cost because the fluid it was born with has been discontinued...….
Leery, scared, merely pointing out research indicating no need for either. And ime, 'all' synthetic ATF is not more expensive than mineral based fluids. Example, Dex/Merc in Castrol form at WM, $20.87/gal. Full synthetic MaxLife MV ATF formerly known as ML Dex/Merc, ~$18 gal.

That said, what you do with your vehicles your call. However, others read this sub forum too and information provided also for their benefit. Quoting just a way to present it.

Originally Posted by dave1251

34.gif

You and the professor don't know about ATF' s up to recently Toyota and GM were the same.

I will admit that I know very little about AT's and ATF's...However in your statement above, you just admitted to me you didn't watch all the videos. The Professor explicitly explained in one of the videos that the first Toyota AT was a copy cat of a GM AT. LOL
Yep, he is pretty aware about Toyota and GM's working together.

Originally Posted by dave1251

34.gif

I will admit that I know very little about AT's and ATF's...However in your statement above, you just admitted to me you didn't watch all the videos. The Professor explicitly explained in one of the videos that the first Toyota AT was a copy cat of a GM AT. LOL
Yep, he is pretty aware about Toyota and GM's working together.

And in the transmission in this subject used a DEXRON ATF thus the correction fluid to use is DEXRON VI.

This is where you and I disagree. I believe the correct fluid to use is the one that was originally recommended from the factory.

And I'll "never" use a multi-vehicle ATF that says it meets both T-IV and WS specs. If Toyota says T-IV and WS are not compatible and are not interchangeable, how can you make an ATF that meets both specs?

That's a rhetorical question. I already know the answer
28.gif

This is where you and I disagree. I believe the correct fluid to use is the one that was originally recommended from the factory.

And I'll "never" use a multi-vehicle ATF that says it meets both T-IV and WS specs. If Toyota says T-IV and WS are not compatible and are not interchangeable, how can you make an ATF that meets both specs?

That's a rhetorical question. I already know the answer
28.gif

DEXRON VI is the correct replacement. That is just the correct answer.

I'm with Gebo on this. I know enough about ats and atf that putting in the right fluid matters. Dex6 in all likelihood is the best choice in a dex2/3 scenario, but with so many good dex3 fluids being sold at low price points it's hard to justify spending double on that dex6. Dex6 is more shear stable, and has a better additive package than dex3 all day everyday. Those older trans don't always "like" newer thinner fluid, my 05 impala hated maxlife atf, so I did multiple drain and fills with Castrol and lubegard red. Sold it with 195k shifting great.

Jetsfan421,

I think what causes people to come to the differing conclusions is dependent on where they get their information. GM says Dexron VI is a replacement for Dexron III. I can read that. I comprehend that.

But, Toyota Corp, my Lexus mechanic, my local mechanic and the local Transmission "Guru" told me to use Dexron III in my '02 Toyota with 235K miles. The local Toyota Dealer uses Dexron III in their garage as
they buy it in 55 Gal drums (of which they would gladly sell me the Toyota Dexron III in my own clean container for a little over $11/qt).

I am of the opinion to trust the people who made my car and work on my cars more-so that GM.

This may be a great experiment for me as I travel the exact same road, hills, mountains and all about 12 times/week. I'm gonna give the new fluid at least 500 miles before I really scrutinize differences (if any at all)
in the shifting as I go up and down the hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back