Dexron 6 for our 2 GM cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I found some full synthetic DEXRON 6 on sale , I would be tempted to buy some .

I am almost out of full synthetic . I do have some Castrol Dexron 6 blend . Was thinking about the blend into the 2006 Buick Lacrosse 3.8l and full synthetic into the 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l .

Would the GM / AC Delco DEXRON 6 of 2006 been a blend ? I am guessing the factory fill was .

Would the GM / AC Delco DEXRON 6 of 2006 been full synthetic ? I am guessing the factory fill was .

The Lacrosse has a little over 40,000 miles on it . Last year I used a HF transfer pump and withdrew around 4 quarts of DEXRON 6 from the transmission . And replaced it with new , full synthetic . Thank God , it has a ATF dip stick ! :)

The old ATF looked only slightly dark and smelled OK . Did not drop the pan and change the filter . Was considering doing the same spill & fill , again .

The Sonic has no dip stick ! :-(

It does have a removable fill plug on top of the transmission ( and a level check plug in the side of the transmission and a drain plug in the bottom ) . It has a little over 60,000 miles on it . I did a spill & fill of ~ 4 quarts at around 20,000 and 40,000 miles . ( It has to have the transmission case split to replace the filter , from what I read . Not a DIY project . )

The old fluid was almost black when it came out . Both times , but did not smell burned . I refilled with full synthetic Valvoline DEXRON 6 and / or Havoline full synthetic DEXRON 6 . Would like to use the same Valvoline DEXRON 6 ATF , this time . However , do not think I have enough left Valvoline DEXRON 6 .

Thus , my desire to find some name brand full synthetic DEXRON 6 on sale . I have some MaxLive that says it is suitable for DEXRON 6 applications , but does not say it is authorized / approved for DEXRON 6 .

Last question , any one know why the ATF that came out , was almost black ? Moly in the factory fill ? Excessive heat ? Can not remember if it has an external coil / fin ATF cooler or if it uses the cooler in the radiator tank ? I do know there is a engine oil to engine cooler , but can not see that mattering with the ATF ?

Thanks , :)

I think 2006 was about the first year they were using Dexron 6, true that the Sonics have no dipstick. They have a plug you can remove, one to let it out and one to put it in. Stupid. Dipsticks..

Having to soon be purchasing dome Dex 6 much like yourself, the best stuff I have found for cost is the AC Delco factory OEM Dexron 6, it seems cheaper and more applicable than the Maxlife Mercon LV compatible stuff. Dex 6 is supposed to be one of those finicky fluids.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-9...;qid=1564408330&s=gateway&sr=8-3

As to why it is black ? Probably because every other GM transmission I have drain and filled, from late 80s and early 90s TH-350C to late 90s transmission of whatever is bolted to a 3800 to the transmissions in trucks, 4L60E, 4L80E, have been black.. my guess is heat, and the fluid being worked very very hard. All the trans shifted and worked fine just had funky and very black fluid. Drain and fills made them continue to work wonderfully, and always a little smoother after a fluid drain and fill, cannot speak as to flushes, that is more a roll of the dice, might be fine might stir something up. 50/50 chance.

I also pull ATF from my 6L90 ( 3 quarts using a 3/8 OD plastic tube through the dipstick tube). I replace it with our readily available Motomaster full synthetic Dex 6 (CANADA only). I do this once per year and the old stuff is darker but not bad.

I use MAG 1 from Warren in my Dexron-VI ATF applications.

It's officially approved by GM and meets its specifications.

List of approved lubricants is copyrighted so I'll share a brief snippet for searching purposes:
GM Dexron-VI license
Specialized and multi-products approved by GM for applications requiring Dexron-VI specifications.
Original Formulators (J-60001-60017 / J-62001-62003) — independent developers
Reblenders (J-60151-60182 / J-62100-62106) — use ready-made base and ready-made additives in your own composition
Rebranders (J-60301-60433 / J-62300-62309) — repacking

More BITOG on approvals:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-new-2018-list-of-gm-dexron-vi-licensees

Don't know what all that black is about but perhaps a pretty fair sized dose of not good.

Oh, and it's easy enough to source the approved Warren lubricants directly to your front door from Amazon et al.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I also pull ATF from my 6L90 ( 3 quarts using a 3/8 OD plastic tube through the dipstick tube). I replace it with our readily available Motomaster full synthetic Dex 6 (CANADA only). I do this once per year and the old stuff is darker but not bad.

Does that product list a dexos license number on the container?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats
TES-295 fluids start out at the same viscosity as Dexron III, a little thicker than VI,
But because they are synthetic, they do not shear down..

Synthetic or not it isn't the base stock that shears is it?

From Wikipedia...

"Dexron VI is of a slightly lower viscosity when new compared to the prior Dexron fluids (a maximum of 6.4 cSt at 100 °C for Dexron VI and 7.5 cSt for Dexron III), but the allowed viscosity loss from shearing of the ATF during use is lower for Dexron VI, resulting in the same lowest allowed final viscosity for both Dexron III and VI (5.5 cSt) in test.
In reality most of the DEXRON-III fluids typically sheared to about 4.2 cSt in use. The lower, more stable viscosity improved pumping efficiency within the transmission and fluid stability over life. Since Dexron VI is not allowed to thin out (lower its viscosity) as much as Dexron III during use, it requires the use of higher-quality, more shear-stable (less prone to thinning while in use) formulations."

Yes I see, but isn't it the viscosity index improvers that are shearing, not the base oil? I was just keying off you your use of the word "synthetic", which implied that just because it is a synthetic base stock it was inherently more shear stable than a non-synthetic stock. It's a serious question, I did not think that any hydrocarbon molecule as small as an oil molecule would mechanically shear. It's vastly smaller than the multi-million molecular weight VII.

If it can wait I buy it by the case from gmpartsgiant. Something like $4.50 a qt. Then I just do cooler line exchanges 3 quarts at a time.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by talest
I think 2006 was about the first year they were using Dexron 6, true that the Sonics have no dipstick. They have a plug you can remove, one to let it out and one to put it in. Stupid. Dipsticks..

Having to soon be purchasing dome Dex 6 much like yourself, the best stuff I have found for cost is the AC Delco factory OEM Dexron 6, it seems cheaper and more applicable than the Maxlife Mercon LV compatible stuff. Dex 6 is supposed to be one of those finicky fluids.

As to why it is black ? Probably because every other GM transmission I have drain and filled, from late 80s and early 90s TH-350C to late 90s transmission of whatever is bolted to a 3800 to the transmissions in trucks, 4L60E, 4L80E, have been black.. my guess is heat, and the fluid being worked very very hard. All the trans shifted and worked fine just had funky and very black fluid. Drain and fills made them continue to work wonderfully, and always a little smoother after a fluid drain and fill, cannot speak as to flushes, that is more a roll of the dice, might be fine might stir something up. 50/50 chance.

https://www.google.com/search?q=adv...008&bih=508#spd=13368112974482023418

This is the cheapest full synthetic DEXRON 6 , I have found . Was the earlier DEXRON 6 , from a few years ago , a synthetic blend ?

If I knew the ATF turning dark / black was due to heat , I would install an external coil / fin cooler in front of the radiator . Would there be any downside to doing it anyway ?

I think this 6 speed transmission was used in Chevy Cruz , also . Do not know if it was used in any other vehicles , also ? Certainly , nothing much heavier .

While it's not a GM I believe our 2017 Explorer shares a jointly developed transmission with some GM transmission without pans also. AKA split case transmissions where the filter is not a service item but needs to split the case to replace. The Mercon LV, very similar to Dexron 6, comes out almost black even at 10,000 mile changes on the Explorer. I think it's because of the lack of a pan to cool the ATF it gets much hotter. I've seen Mercon LV used in Ford transmissions with the conventional pan that needs to be dropped and after many more miles of use the Mercon LV looked pinkish/reddish as you would normally expect. For me drain and fills are so simple on the Explorer it I do them more frequently. Besides more frequent ATF changes keep that non serviceable transmission filter cleaner for longer.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
If it can wait I buy it by the case from gmpartsgiant. Something like $4.50 a qt. Then I just do cooler line exchanges 3 quarts at a time.

[Linked Image]

Can you please post a link to this ? I am not having any luck looking on gmpartsgiant ?

Originally Posted by Whimsey
While it's not a GM I believe our 2017 Explorer shares a jointly developed transmission with some GM transmission without pans also. AKA split case transmissions where the filter is not a service item but needs to split the case to replace. The Mercon LV, very similar to Dexron 6, comes out almost black even at 10,000 mile changes on the Explorer. I think it's because of the lack of a pan to cool the ATF it gets much hotter. I've seen Mercon LV used in Ford transmissions with the conventional pan that needs to be dropped and after many more miles of use the Mercon LV looked pinkish/reddish as you would normally expect. For me drain and fills are so simple on the Explorer it I do them more frequently. Besides more frequent ATF changes keep that non serviceable transmission filter cleaner for longer.

Whimsey

I agree 100% . Frequent spill / fill & never run the ATF long enough to let the filter clog up .

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-10-9395

But with $ 7.99 shipping , it does not come out the cheapest .

By the way RockAuto.com seems to show a replacement pan , but it apparently is made of black plastic . Probably not as good at heat transfer as a metal pan ? Anyone know of a source for a metal pan ? Not looking for one with a drain plug . There is a drain plug in the bottom of the transmission case . ( and a fill to plug in the side of the case . )

AC Delco is not factory OEM fluid and to be DEXRON VI the fluid has a single additive package and the fluid must preform as Low Viscosity group III synthetic at a minimum. So there is no performance difference beyond how a motor preforms from batch to batch which is near uniform.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

[Linked Image]

Can you please post a link to this ? I am not having any luck looking on gmpartsgiant ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by dave1251

AC Delco is not factory OEM fluid and to be DEXRON VI the fluid has a single additive package and the fluid must preform as Low Viscosity group III synthetic at a minimum. So there is no performance difference beyond how a motor preforms from batch to batch which is near uniform.

While not all ACDelco products are OEM, the Dexron is question is. ACDelco products that are considered GM Original Equipment will listed a GM part number along with an ACDelco part number (88865602 in this instance).

...Frequent spill / fill & never run the ATF long enough to let the filter clog up...
imho the filter contains the debris that it's going to trap and renewing the fluid does nothing to address the junk already caught by the filter.

Almost certainly some fresh fluid and its additives are preferable to an entire circuit of old spent stuff, though.

My transmission and transaxle fluid renewals invariably include a new OE filter and cleaning the sediment basin (pan) and its magnet where possible.
And there is always some crud to be found laying about in the pan, even on otherwise properly functioning and ostensibly healthy transmissions.

$.02

6L80E valve body.jpg

6L80E pan magnet.jpg

[Linked Image]

Its been only 3 months since I bought that. I just checked and its showing discontinued now!! Sorry, I didn't expect that.
But.. there's this.. https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-fluid-a-trans-dexron-vi-1-gal-88865602.html?Vin=1GYEK63N96R102602&Filter=()

I've had good luck ordering here. They are actually a huge OEM parts network using multiple websites for many auto manufacturers. I order for my Nissan on the "nissanpartsdeal" site, which is also part of the same network.

Thats a good price. I've been running a complete exchange, 3X gals of the maxlife multi in my 4L65e for over a year now. No issues. but... I swear the temp on my transmission gauge is slightly higher than it was before. But always under 200F. I have ACDelco Dex VI 12 qt case, going to run a cooler exchange and see if there is a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back