Dexos Gen 2 THAT much different than SP?

Searched and can't find a really good answer.
Just acquired a 2020 GMC Canyon, 3.6 V6. Obviously calls for Dexos gen 2. However, I have several Havoline High Mileage Synthetic Technology Motor Oil 5W/30 API-SP, ISLAC GF-6A 6 qt. boxes laying around, (VOA posted elsewhere). Without starting a digital fist fight or getting so far out in the weeds that an Asian carp can't survive, would using the Havoline be that detrimental to the engine? BTW, worst case scenario: 6 mo./5K mile OCI with Delco filter.

No. SP and Gen 2 are not super far off from each other.

SP and Gen 3 is another story. But reasonably any Gen 2 product bought since May of 2022 (even arguably earlier in a lot of cases) is Gen 3.

Edit:

In a 2020, send it. Use it up.

@watajob

I've used the non-HM flavor of Havoline many times w/o any problems. BTW, that fish metaphor is funny.

images

Key wording:

recommended engine oil or equivalent.

They recommend a Dexos oil, because GM directly makes money off it. An equivalent oil would be an API SP oil.

They cannot void your warranty for only using a current SP/GF6A oil.

Read up on the magnuson moss act.
you read it - not taking chances on something this foolhardy

I have several Dexos licensed products registered in my name, that I market.

I’m very familiar with it.

It’s not foolhardy at all. It’s actually quite the opposite.
This is a tired subject going on for years … I’m using Dexos … Later

This is a tired subject going on for years … I’m using Dexos … Later

You do you. I can’t tell you how to spend your money.

But I can say that OP is perfectly good to use that oil they have.

I have very, very, very significant experience in this. Between supplying hundreds of car dealerships, thousands of quick lubes, countless independent mechanics and DIY’ers.

I’ve personally licensed dozens of Dexos blends over the years. Not many people here can say that.

You do you. I can’t tell you how to spend your money.

But I can say that OP is perfectly good to use that oil they have.

I have very, very, very significant experience in this. Between supplying hundreds of car dealerships, thousands of quick lubes, countless independent mechanics and DIY’ers.

I’ve personally licensed dozens of Dexos blends over the years. Not many people here can say that.
Yeah … you are constantly you doing you …

Key wording:

They recommend a Dexos oil, because GM directly makes money off it. An equivalent oil would be an API SP oil.

You left out the other convenient part: read the manufacturer’s limited warranty booklet: Failure to use “recommend” fluids may result in engine damage not covered under warranty. The onus is on you, not them.

You incorrectly applied the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act here.
As you know from your licensing, DEXOS is a standard, not a product.
MM does not apply in that type of situation.

It’s blatantly apparent from every blender and distributor that DEXOS has differing performance benchmarks from API/GF-6: They are not “equivalent”.

Last edited:
Key wording:

No, Dexos and SP are not equivalent. Similar, yes, but not equal. MM applies if the mfr says you can only use Delco oil, for example. GM does not say that...they say you can use any Dexos oil (Pennzoil, Mobil, etc). That is what is meant by equivalent.

Also notice the snip from the manual. It says "use ... oils that meet the dexos1 spec." Not "recommend", but instructing the owner to "use".

1670903087539.png

You left out the other convenient part: read the manufacturer’s limited warranty booklet: Failure to use “recommend” fluids may result in engine damage not covered under warranty. The onus is on you, not them. You incorrectly applied the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act here. DEXOS is a standard, not a product. It does not apply in this situation

Failure to use recommended or equivalent oils, may result in damage.

Please read their statement.

When choosing oil for your vehicle, you should always look or ask for API-licensed oil. API has made it easy to find these oils: licensed oils display one or both of the API motor oil quality marks—the API Service Symbol "Donut" and the Certification Mark "Starburst." These marks are part of API's Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System (EOLCS), a voluntary licensing and certification program that authorizes engine oil marketers meeting API requirements to display the API quality marks. - API.

GM can only legally require you to utilize an API approved product. They can “recommend” to use a Dexos product. However they cannot require you to pay them a licensing fee, to use their engine oil. Period, end.

Section 102(c), 15 U.S.C. 2302(c), prohibits tying arrangements that condition coverage under a written warranty on the consumer's use of an article or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name unless that article or service is provided without charge to the consumer.

Meaning, GM cannot legally require you to buy a Dexos branded product. They can only give it to you for free then.

That’s the law. GM can require you to use a generally available replacement wear item part. If you use autozone brakes, and your transmission goes out: They cannot void your transmission warranty.

If you put Michelin tires on your car instead of Goodyears, they cannot void your warranty if your engine blows up.

They can require you to use DOT approved tires. They can require you to use an API certified oil.

It’s also on them to prove, that the engine oil caused the damage.

No, Dexos and SP are not equivalent. Similar, yes, but not equal. MM applies if the mfr says you can only use Delco oil, for example. GM does not say that...they say you can use any Dexos oil (Pennzoil, Mobil, etc). That is what is meant by equivalent.

Also notice the snip from the manual. It says "use ... oils that meet the dexos1 spec." Not "recommend", but instructing the owner to "use".

View attachment 130567

Yes they are equivalent.

It’s a business choice. You either pay the Dexos fee, or you don’t. My house brand non-Dexos 0w20 and my Dexos 0w20 are the same exact formulations. Same base oils. Same add packs. One I pay GM a licensing fee on. One I don’t.

Back