DEXOS and the green logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to correct my above posts. After closer inspection the royal purple bottle says it meets the dexo's spec. There is NO dexo's label. Just that it meets tge spec.
Same goes for amsoil. It says it meets the spec but there is NO dexo's label.
I apologize for any confusion I may have caused. That's why I felt the need to correct my statements.
I asked my old lady to look at the bottles and she said tbey said dexo's which I mistook for meaning it had the label,and neither of them do.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Sopus not wanting to waste? I think you are assuming too much
wink.gif
You are assuming that an oil company would be environmentally conscious!

I don't mean waste from an environmental standpoint. I mean waste from a cost standpoint.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Well it's got the dexo's label. Now does that mean it's certified or just meets the spec,I don't know for sure I do know the dexo's label is on there

Well, if it has the dexos1 logo on it, then it would be actually approved. I don't know how recently GM's dexos list has been updated, so even if RP were actually certified, it may not show up there. The RP formula was updated rather recently, and we all know how long it takes for these "lists" to get updated.

I need to correct my above posts. After closer inspection the royal purple bottle says it meets the dexo's spec. There is NO dexo's label. Just that it meets tge spec.

No problem. They're both still quality oils. And they're not the only companies out there that don't want to be involved with dexos1 licensing.

Originally Posted By: Garak

No problem. They're both still quality oils. And they're not the only companies out there that don't want to be involved with dexos1 licensing.

And at same time wouldn't surprise me if DEXOS turns out to be just more hype like DexCool was(is)....

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
And at same time wouldn't surprise me if DEXOS turns out to be just more hype like DexCool was(is)....

Well, I'm not one to simply defend GM, but I don't think dexos is the same kind of issue. Even taking all DexCool complaints at face value, at worst the issue was gasket compatibility and some excessive optimism in coolant life.

The dexos1 speced oils still meet API and ILSAC standards. GM isn't going to unrealistically long OCIs. They're also staying with their tried and true 5w-30 grade. So, I don't think we're going to see longevity issues due to the use of dexos1 oils.

As for DexCool, don't forget that it's still around, and it's use is growing, not shrinking.

Agreed. However I didn't want to spread wrong info. This board is usually pretty good with the information on it and I didn't want to mislead anyone.
Both are quality oil for sure however I just wanted to state straight facts.
I apologize for any confusion I may have caused

The only one I have seen with the dexos green label on it outside of the AC Delco bottles is Mobil One. In fact I don't even think that the Pennzoil Plat quarts I picked up a couple of weeks ago even mentions dexos1 anywhere on the bottle. I have seen dexos mentioned on quarts of Castrol Synthetic and also on the Royal Purple quarts at Walmart but thats it.

Goose

I wish the GM dexos list had certification dates, or at least a date of update. I don't see any glaring omissions, at least.
Now now, that's just getting toooooo complicated.....and IMHO, not worth shuffling through the oil bottles the next time I were to change the oil on a 2011 or greater GM
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Walmart has the logo on PU qts. but not the 5 qt jugs.
Neat. Not down here in FL by us....but the PU and PP doesn't sell too well down here.....lots of Mobil one users....the PP/PU shelf looks dusty every time I pass by it! LOL.

But yea, I'm with the one guy/gal....I don't think if there's a claim they are gonna be asking for empty bottles! But.....they may ask for receipts (which may or may not notate a "SKU" or UPC code).....

Curious....has the UPC of any of the bottles changed since the "Dexos" tagging.....?

Too lazy to check upcdatabase
wink.gif
Cause their search is kind of "lax" and don't have any abundance of UPCs to cross reference with.

That's the only way I think they could "prove" you used a dexos approved oil, if the receipt showed a "dexos only" UPC....if say they were to change the UPC with the new formulation.....but TBH, I can't see them changing UPCs when they add new formulas, say from SL, to SM, to SN, etc....

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the link, I keep a print out of it at work. I really had not noticed the individual license numbers or the fact that a couple of 5w40's are in there and a 0w40. I had assumed that they were all 5w30.

And conspicuous by it's absence America's Favorite 10W30 hehe

This taken from the Mobil 1 Q & A thread:

Will Mobil 1 officially meet dexos1?

Yes. ExxonMobil announced that a number of its key products, including Mobil 1, are now officially dexos™ licensed worldwide. The dexos™-licensed ExxonMobil products will meet the GM global engine oil specifications and will be designated by displaying dexos1™ or dexos2™ logos on the product labels. These engine oils are designed to meet the specific requirements of gasoline and diesel engines used in GM vehicles worldwide.

Did a formulation change occur in order for Mobil 1 5w-30 to meet dexos1 specifications?

No formulation change was required for Mobil 1 5W-30 to the meet dexos1™ specification.

Originally Posted By: partspro
Thanks for posting the link, I keep a print out of it at work. I really had not noticed the individual license numbers or the fact that a couple of 5w40's are in there and a 0w40. I had assumed that they were all 5w30.

I bet all the 5w-40s are dexos2 - the diesel specification.

So I checked some oil at work today. The M1 that does NOT have the logo is infact 'old' SM not the new SN. Pennzoil Platinum IS SN but no logo. M1 Extended Performance also SM no logo. Quaker State Ultimate Durability (full syn) SN but no logo.

Seems Mobil has some older stock floating around.

partspro said:
So I checked some oil at work today. The M1 that does NOT have the logo is infact 'old' SM not the new SN. Pennzoil Platinum IS SN but no logo. M1 Extended Performance also SM no logo. Quaker State Ultimate Durability (full syn) SN but no logo.

Seems Mobil has some older stock floating around. [/quote

The new Mobil1 has the logo.

I noticed on the GM Dexos site that Pennzoil synth blend and QS synth blend are dexos1 approved. Is this a new development?

Originally Posted By: kevinf
I noticed on the GM Dexos site that Pennzoil synth blend and QS synth blend are dexos1 approved. Is this a new development?

It happened several months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back