Riddle me this.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing a OC on my wifes 2011 Equinox 4 cyl. It calls for 5/30 wt Dexos oil. I thought the jug I bought was the right stuff, but I mistook the nascar logo for the dexos logo and put the oil in. I don't expect anything bad will happen, but wanted to find out what Dexos exactly is and what that "special" oil does, in the motor. All I could find on line was that it has to be a full synthetic or part synthetic blend.The oil I used had a sl, sm,& sn, api rating on the bottle. People on line say if you don't use Dexos oil it will void your warranty. Well that ship has sailed, and I 've read that alot of people are having high oil consumption issues once the 4 cyl motors get up to 50k on them. Blaming the rings. That tells me, the factory recommended oil isn't working. So besides being what the factory want's Chevy owners to use, whats so special about the Dexos rating?.,,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I mistook the nascar logo for the dexos logo and put the oil in.

lol.gif

I was doing a OC on my wifes 2011 Equinox 4 cyl. It calls for 5/30 wt Dexos oil. I thought the jug I bought was the right stuff, but I mistook the nascar logo for the dexos logo and put the oil in. I don't expect anything bad will happen, but wanted to find out what Dexos exactly is and what that "special" oil does, in the motor. All I could find on line was that it has to be a full synthetic or part synthetic blend.The oil I used had a sl, sm,& sn, api rating on the bottle. People on line say if you don't use Dexos oil it will void your warranty. Well that ship has sailed, and I 've read that alot of people are having high oil consumption issues once the 4 cyl motors get up to 50k on them. Blaming the rings. That tells me, the factory recommended oil isn't working. So besides being what the factory want's Chevy owners to use, whats so special about the Dexos rating?.,,,

No possible way yours a 12 is it?
https://gm.oemdtc.com/7458/16118-special...nox-gmc-terrain

Personally, for one oil change I wouldn't worry about it provided it was decent brand of oil and not some no name stuff? Next oil change, I'd switch back to Dexos or D1G2 which is supposedly even better oil but likely unnecessary in your Equinox.

Originally Posted By: irv
I wouldn't worry about it provided it was decent brand of oil and not some no name stuff?

A lot of "no name stuff" with an API "SN" on the bottle is actually pretty good stuff.

2011 2.4 4cyl should be GDI. My wife drives same vehicle. It has gone past 50K, no oil consumption between changes. Initially I followed the OLM and used Dexos 5w30 (Mobil 1). After reading about all the concerns with GDI and fuel dilution I started doing 5K changes. And, for same reason, switched to Delvac 5w40 last change also. I have no issues so far concerning GDI. One oil change interval shouldn't affect anything. I'd leave it in.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: irv
I wouldn't worry about it provided it was decent brand of oil and not some no name stuff?

A lot of "no name stuff" with an API "SN" on the bottle is actually pretty good stuff.

I have no doubts about that but one needs to do their homework if they think any and all oils are OK to use. Some, like what are shown in this vid is what I am talking about. I would assume some people purchase these or they wouldn't still be selling them nor stocking their shelfs.

To clear up any questions, the oil I used was Mobil 1 extended performance. Says it's good for a 15k mile OCI. I don't plan on going that far with it, But was thinking it should make it 10k for what it is and what it costs. Is the reason for 5k oci's due to anticipated fuel dilution?. I still don't know what being Dexos rated means to the oil, or how it makes the oil different from any other oil. Does it somehow make the oil more dilution resistant?.,,

To clear up any questions, the oil I used was Mobil 1 extended performance. Says it's good for a 15k mile OCI.

Who cares about dexos... that is excellent oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back