Dexcool in my LS1 Camaro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading page after page of Dexcool bashing, I have considered making a switch from Dexcool.

I flushed my coolant last year. The car was at about 37k and the coolant looked about as clean as you could ask. I don't believe I read much about Dexcool causing problems in these engines, but I could be wrong.

Are there any risks in making a switch to a non-dex coolant like G-05?

Yes, not getting all the dexcool out. So long as the system is sound, dexcool is topped up, and nothing is mixed in, it is fine.

if you do swithch, make 100% sure that ALL old coolant is out, and then do it again to be definite.

Good decision. Just don't neglect the cooling system, Dexcool systems do not take neglect well.

I myself am staying with Dexcool in my Sierra.

I've had Dexcool problems in my '97 Vortex 5.7 truck, and in my in-laws 3.4 Alero. So far, no problems in my 02 Z-28, nor have I heard of it causing a problem with the LS1 on the forums I've visited. I've had the standard F-body complaints with window motors quitting, front brake rotors warping, and rear squeeks, but no coolant problems.
At the 4 year point, I drain and fill a number of times with distilled water, then fill with Dexcool to get a 50/50 mix. The coolant system looks clean as a whistle.

i also have Dexcool in my 2005 BLAZER ZR2 ...i never mix anti-freeze ,never go to a low level and make sure no air gets into the system ..neglect and no knowledge of antifreeze are the biggest problems..

Smithph:

I'm trying to understand that compatibility chart. Is it OK to add PEAK global to a hybrid coolant like Toyota factory fill for a top-up?

Also, if one decided to use Prestone all makes/models in a Toyota is it imperative that all the Toyota fluid is flushed out first?

PS: That chart seems to say that PEAK EL does not have 2-EHA in it.

Based on the chart it appears you can add PEAK global to HOAT/OATS for top-ups.

I own a Toyota and my plan has been to drain and refill with either Toyota coolant or Peak Global.

This chart is prepared by a coolant recycle company that targets the trucking industry for their main customers. Thus most of the coolants in the chart are fleet types. I am not sure the PEAK CF-EXL EL listed is the same as the one they sell in the retail channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back