97 camaro 3.8 dexcool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 97 camaro 3.8 it has 62000 miles on it, i purchased it last year, and it had an intake gasket leak on it, it had dexcool it there. anyway,i got them to flush the system and add new dexcool, new thermostat,and new oem rad cap,now when i look in the rad it has the scum, and the coolant is a dark maroon color, and the overflow tank has light brown chunks in it, my question is, i was thinking of getting it flushed again, should i replace with factory dexcool or this new zerox g-05 fluid,would adding zerox g-05 be a problem? and would i need to add sealants pills? and could i do this myself? the garage said that the coolant is fine,(but they are in business to make money hehe)just wanted an opinion of what to do.

doh,forgot to add that i had the intake gasket fixed first, before i got them to flush and fill the system.

johnnyc1, if you're considering converting over to G-05, do it right with repeated distilled (or de-ionized) water flushes until the system drains clear and water white. (may take five or six passes - and yeah, it's as boring and time consuming as it sounds because you need to idle the engine until the thermostat opens each time... don't forget to set the heat control lever to its warmest position to allow coolant to flow through the heater core, either) You may even need to use a cooling system cleaner to dissolve out any hard corrosion. No brand of antifreeze can protect metal if there's established hard corrosion shielding the metal from the corrosion inhibitor chemistry. You and/or a friend may have to have to deal with this yourself. It's not very likely that a dealer or an independent radiator shop would go to this amount of time and effort - and even at that, they'd only use tap water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back