Dexclone coolant color

When it comes to Dexclone coolants, I've only used Prestone or house brands manufactured by Prestone like Supertech. All of these have the yellow color that has a small hint of green in certain lighting conditions (user 2EHA described it as "mello yellow" in another recent thread, which I feel is exactly on point).

I was wondering if Peak's versions of AMAM have this same color? In the various Youtube videos I've seen of Long Life and other Peak-supplied AMAMs like Autozone's extended life house brand, it doesn't seem like it - the Peak AMAM coolant seems to pour out very greenish. Like what I would think IAT conventional green would look like. I also noticed that on the SDS for Long Life, the color is described as "yellow green."

Napa's in-house brand extended life coolant used to be Prestone supplied, but it's now Peak (not sure when this change occurred, but it would have been after 2015 because that is the last time I bought this and it was Prestone supplied). The SDS for the Peak-supplied Napa AMAM describes it as "Yellow; Green."

I know dye color has no bearing on protection or performance, but I would personally prefer the coolant to have a yellow (or yellowish) color versus something more greenish, in the event that some unknowledgable mechanic should look at my coolant reservior and decide to top that off with an IAT green based solely on how it looks. Some already know this, but for those who don't, you'd be surprised how many shops out there are using old IAT silicated green in every car they service. Or they have both IAT green and AMAM available and the mechanic doesn't know any better between the two and just grabs one arbitrarily based on what is seen in the coolant reservoir.

Peak describes the new 10x as just yellow on both their PDS and MSDS

The old Peak LL with 2EHA seems to be discontinued, as it's no longer listed on their site. 10x doesn't have 2-EHA :D

Only old school IAT will be green, all the Dexclones are either fluorescent yellow or a more gold/amber colour. Prestone AMAM is the fluorescent yellow or "mellow yellow", Peak 10X is basically the same, and Peak Global is golden/amber. Fluorescent yellow has a hint of green in it but compared to actual IAT green it's much more yellow than green. AMAM coolants basically need to be a light yellow or gold colour so that when you mix them with a blue, red, or green coolant the original color will not change.

Check out the end of this video and you'll get a better idea of what I'm referring to. The coolant in this video is Napa Extended Life 50-50 which is manufactured by Peak (the ingredients are visible if you watch closely). You'll see this coolant has a more greenish cast to it compared to the AM/AM coolants made by Prestone (like Supertech, which by the way as far as I know, is currently the only one left in the market).

Unfortunately, if you want to avoid this greenish color and still use a house-brand coolant, Supertech is the only one to get. As I mentioned above, Napa, Carquest, Advance, O'Reilly, Autozone and probably others I'm not aware of are all using Peak-supplied house-brand coolant.

I see it as an unfortunate choice by the manufacturer/engineers. I'm telling you, there are many technicians out there whom are ignorant to coolant types that will see this greenish fluid in a vehicle's reservior and just grab silicated IAT green for either top offs or refills when cooling system service is done. By contrast, Peak 10X doesn't have this greenish cast, from all the videos I've viewed. And obviously, PGL is amber and doesn't have any greenish look to it.

Last edited:
Check out the end of this video and you'll get a better idea of what I'm referring to. The coolant in this video is Napa Extended Life 50-50 which is manufactured by Peak (the ingredients are visible if you watch closely). You'll see this coolant has a more greenish cast to it compared to the AM/AM coolants made by Prestone (like Supertech, which by the way as far as I know, is currently the only one left in the market).

Unfortunately, if you want to avoid this greenish color and still use a house-brand coolant, Supertech is the only one to get. As I mentioned above, Napa, Carquest, Advance, O'Reilly, Autozone and probably others I'm not aware of are all using Peak-supplied house-brand coolant.

I see it as an unfortunate choice by the manufacturer/engineers. I'm telling you, there are many technicians out there whom are ignorant to coolant types that will see this greenish fluid in a vehicle's reservior and just grab silicated IAT green for either top offs or refills when cooling system service is done. By contrast, Peak 10X doesn't have this greenish cast, from all the videos I've viewed. And obviously, PGL is amber and doesn't have any greenish look to it.

That's still a fairly light green and probably won't change the color of what's already in there if you use it to top off.

In the video, they did a complete drain and fill.

I always use specified coolant they always try to sell me the universal stuff at the parts store I always say no thanks. I just wish their was more to choose from because I don’t like pre-diluted as I feel it’s a waste of money.

I always use specified coolant they always try to sell me the universal stuff at the parts store I always say no thanks. I just wish their was more to choose from because I don’t like pre-diluted as I feel it’s a waste of money.

Concentrate may be available depending on the store and what type of coolant you need. For example, all versions of Peak OET are available in both concentrate and premix. Napa lists them all for sale, and if your local Napa doesn't have it in stock, they can get it for you.

Concentrate may be available depending on the store and what type of coolant you need. For example, all versions of Peak OET are available in both concentrate and premix. Napa lists them all for sale, and if your local Napa doesn't have it in stock, they can get it for you.
Yeah my Napa only has the pre-diluted stuff I need the Ford Orange or Yellow either one for my Escape.

I was wondering if Peak's versions of AMAM have this same color? In the various Youtube videos I've seen of Long Life and other Peak-supplied AMAMs like Autozone's extended life house brand, it doesn't seem like it - the Peak AMAM coolant seems to pour out very greenish. Like what I would think IAT conventional green would look like. I also noticed that on the SDS for Long Life, the color is described as "yellow green."
I can confirm that the Peak Long Life is mostly yellow with a hint of green (mello yello). I am using it in both my cars (after full flush) and the green is not noticable after it is in the car. Regardless, I write the coolant brand/model/date on the reservoir with a sharpie to avoid issues in case a mechanic works on the car at some point in the future.

Back