DEX VI Synthetic or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dirtbikindad393
Is all DEX VI trans fluids synthetic? Is the DEX VI that comes in the '08 Chevy LMM/Allison synthetic or not?

It's a problem because the question is how 'synthetic' is defined.
We have gone over this several times so if you do a search you will at least see what I mean.

Is all DEX VI trans fluids synthetic? Is the DEX VI that comes in the '08 Chevy LMM/Allison synthetic or not?

Yes, per the definition of synthetic these days, they are all "synthetic" (at least a group III base oil).

Is all DEX VI trans fluids synthetic?

GM's Dexron-VI spec does not address what type of base oil that must be used, it just sets performance requirements. These performance requirements can only be met with synthetic blend or full syn base oil. If you find a Dexron-VI full synthetic, it'll be stated on the bottle label.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

It's a problem because the question is how 'synthetic' is defined.
We have gone over this several times so if you do a search you will at least see what I mean.

I have done some research and can't find a definitive answer only speculation. I want to find out if what comes in the truck from the factory is synthetic or not. Synthetic blend or not or simply a conventional trans fluid that meets DEX VI specs.

I found this info in less that 2 minutes searching "Petro-Canada Dexron VI".

Last bottle of GM Dexron VI is saw said, Made in Canada on the bottle so it likely Petro-Canada is GM's sole source.

from the MSDS for Perto-Canada Dexron VI
http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/resour...ge=en&region=CA
Quote:
Mixture of severely hydrotreated and hydrocracked base oil (petroleum).

Quote:
A joint effort between General Motors (GM), Afton Chemical Corporation and Petro-Canada, DEXRON®-VI was developed for GM’s Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed transmission. DEXRON®-VI is now the global factory fill fluid of choice for all General Motors automatic transmissions.

Btw-Any product that does not say synthetic on the label can be assume to be petroleum.

So, NO the GM fluid that comes factory filled in not a true synthetic, its base oil is petroleum.

So, from reading the above, is GM saying that Dex 6 is now the retrofit replacement for older trannies that call for Dex 3?

Dex 6 is replacing Dex 3 for ALL applications? Including use in power steering boxes and certain manual transmissions?

Originally Posted By: Tremo
So, from reading the above, is GM saying that Dex 6 is now the retrofit replacement for older trannies that call for Dex 3?

Dex 6 is replacing Dex 3 for ALL applications? Including use in power steering boxes and certain manual transmissions?

Definitely not the Manuel transmissions. GM has a tech bulletin out on that.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Tremo

Definitely not the Manuel transmissions. GM has a tech bulletin out on that.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll stick with RP Synchromax in the old T5 then.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Dexron VI is a blend.
Not a full synthetic.

Wrong...Valvoline's DEX 6 says full syn.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=129

Originally Posted By: Johnny
It is a Group III synthetic as is the Petro-Canada DEX VI

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Group III's are known as synthetics whether the old diehards like it or not.

Right..it's a synthetic.

fyi

IMG_0433.jpg

Here is a direct link to the MSDS number given on the label in the pic which proves the GM branded ATF is made by Petro-Canada.

http://www.iedev1.com/data/ProductDocs/88861003_MSDS.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back