Deviating from the LL-01 3.5 HTHS value for a BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Go with PC. You can get Duron XL syn-blend for about $6.50/quart.

Inexpensive, and plenty stout for the service you are seeking.

If I use PC, it would probably be the Duron-E 0w40 like I used before.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Thought you were 'deviating' from the required 3.5+ HTHS value...thought you were looking for something slightly thinner, but still stout....

Thought you were 'deviating' from the required 3.5+ HTHS value...thought you were looking for something slightly thinner, but still stout....

No, I'm considering deviating
wink.gif
M1 0w40 wouldn't be deviating, LOL! And that 0w40 is my favourite PC oil (the Duron-E).

Well, can't go wrong with the Duron-E 0W-40, that's for darn sure!

I know, LOL!

So, possibly deviating from the 3.5 min HTHS, I could use something like SSO 0w30, which is $2/L cheaper than M1 0w40 (roughly).

If I'm not mistaken Amsoil SSO 0W-30 (HTHSV 3.2cP, 177 VI) has unfortunately been discontinued and replaced by the AZO 0W-30 (HTHSV 3.1cP, 170 VI).

Since you like Petro-Canada products (don't we all!) their Supreme 0W-30 has the same viscosity spec's as the old SSO with a 3.2cp HTHSV and 177 VI but is not a long drain oil.
As mentioned previously the heavier full syn' Duron 0W-30 is a good option although I personally prefer the PAO based Mobil Delvac Elite 222 (nee XD-3) 0W-30.

Duron 0W-40 is decidedly too heavy even for track use and I would rule that out other than for blending purposes.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

So, possibly deviating from the 3.5 min HTHS, I could use something like SSO 0w30, which is $2/L cheaper than M1 0w40 (roughly).

If I'm not mistaken Amsoil SSO 0W-30 (HTHSV 3.2cP, 177 VI) has unfortunately been discontinued and replaced by the AZO 0W-30 (HTHSV 3.1cP, 170 VI).

Since you like Petro-Canada products (don't we all!) their Supreme 0W-30 has the same viscosity spec's as the old SSO with a 3.2cp HTHSV and 177 VI but is not a long drain oil.
As mentioned previously the heavier full syn' Duron 0W-30 is a good option although I personally prefer the PAO based Mobil Delvac Elite 222 (nee XD-3) 0W-30.

Duron 0W-40 is decidedly too heavy even for track use and I would rule that out other than for blending purposes.

What about the Euro AFL 5w40?
VI is 171, HTHS of 3.8, NOACK of 8.9, very similar to the M1 0w40. Same price as the AZO (yes, I was thinking AZO, but said SSO earlier, sorry about that).

The Euro 5w30 has a rather unspectacular VI, so that strikes it from the list.

Careful!! The wife might not like you putting inferior products in her car!
09.gif

If you're just looking to save some $ I'd go with the Duron. Maybe even try the 0w30 at least during the winter. Although tig's suggestion isn't bad either.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Careful!! The wife might not like you putting inferior products in her car!
09.gif

If you're just looking to save some $ I'd go with the Duron. Maybe even try the 0w30 at least during the winter. Although tig's suggestion isn't bad either.

I'm also looking to try some other products, and with the miles on this engine, it's a good candidate. I can't, and won't do "testing" on the M5. It gets the approved lube, end of story. Hence, I have a pile of M1 0w40 on hand. But for that car.

The Expedition is a Modular. They'll run on rat pee.

But this engine is dirty, and has high miles, so it gives me a chance to see what I can do to clean it up. The "logical" choice is the M1 0w40. But I'm considering other options
smile.gif
Hence this thread.

I may start posting the spec's of the oils we've discussed in this thread, as it may help me sort out where I go.

I may start posting the spec's of the oils we've discussed in this thread, as it may help me sort out where I go.

CATERHAM's suggestion of PC Supreme 0w-30 might be worth considering. It's better priced than their other synthetics, and if you happen to have a whack of Petro-Points like I do, you could get a bunch for free. Even its Petro-Points price is substantially cheaper than that of, say, 5w-30 synthetic.

Another though since you've bought some more AZO 0W-30.
This PAO based oil is superior to the GP III based Castrol made BMW 5W-30. While it has a virgin HTHSV of 3.1cP that's lower than the 3.5cP of the BMW oil, it is much more shear stable.
I have no doubt that in service there is very little if any viscosity difference between the two oils.

I work for a business that deals a lot with rental cars. I talk to the mechanics from time to time. You know what BMWs and Mercedes get? Standard HTHS 3.2 Dexos approved Mobil 1 5w30. Anything that doesn't specify Castrol or Mobil 1 on the cap get whatever the cheapest bulk 5w30 is they can get, including the Toyotas specifying 0w20.

CATERHAM quick Q, would Redline 0W-30 with HTHS 3.0 (i think) be good here? I may have that HTHS wrong, but I totally understand: "If it doesnt thin out, its ok. If it does, go heavier to plan on it thinning."

Caterham,
You have written that G-Oil 5W-30 would be a good alternative for German cars and others requiring HTHS of at least 3.5.
G-Oil isn't available in Canada, though, is it?
I've been considering G-Oil for my old four cylinder BMW, since I've got a fair stash of it.

Yes I'm quite impressed with the G-Oil 5W-30.
We do have a retailer in Canada that carries some G-Oil products (two stroke oil) but not their motor oil for some inexplicable reason.
And yes it should work well in your Bimmer.

My experience with BMW 3s from the E36/E46 era, are that the lifters tell the tale from the various car club owners.

If you drive gingerly, just get a LL-01 spec synthetic 5W-30 or OW-30.

If you drive like the car was designed for - fun and hard cornering, a xW-40 synthetic is a must to keep the lifters pressurized.

While I have a M3 (LL-01), even the 323/325/328/330 models like thicker (40) oil for hard cornering and revving.

I use Mobil 1 0W-40 and it works great.

Use low HTHS oil with confidence, don't be affraid to use for example a 0w30 a5/b5. you do not load the engine enough to need hths=>3.5 . if you ( like me for example) reguraly cruise @ top speed and near max rpm for 30 minutes without lifting your food of the padel. use a hths =>3.5 . cruising @ for example 100mph is not loading your engine, it is just woriking a bit harder.

Wy don't you use a bmw ll-01FE engine oil?

Last edited:
Well, made up my mind.

Purchased 10L of AMSOIL Euro 5w40 for it that showed up today along with a couple MANN HU 925/4x filters.

This is what will be going in once the Redline OCI is complete. I'm going to pull the filter this weekend and take a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back