Derek Daly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting chain of events here in Indy....

The beloved 31 year announcer for the Colts, Bob Lamey relates an old racing “joke” to a young, black female radio assistant that includes using the “n-word” in the accurate re-telling of the joke. He immediately realizes his offense and begs her forgiveness and asks her not to tell anyone about it. She reports it to her HR department who contacts the Colts. Lamey admits to the incident and the Colts immediately announce Lamey’s “retirement” in glowing terms with no mention of the problem. The woman at the center of this is PO’d seeing Lamey being retired with honors instead of getting fired. She goes public giving an interview to a local TV station. All hadies breaks loose.

It comes to light that the racing story was told to Lamey by Derek Daly 35 years ago. WISH-TV here in Indy has used Daly as a freelance commentator on their 500 coverage in May for 30 years. They immediately terminate their relationship with Daly.

Last edited:
It is OK to think whatever you want, have off color or insulting jokes, sayings, expressions, or rhetoric bouncing around in your cranium. It is not OK any more to verbalize those thoughts.
I look back on comedians like Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Andrew Dice Clay... The seriously funny guys from my younger years that made a career on insults and off color jokes. NONE of that would work today.
There was a recent situation at work with one of my peers. Something was said last October that rubbed a customer the wrong way. The situation was discussed at length at the time, but the customer did not want this person in trouble, and refused to give their name. The team had a meeting, we were all made aware of the situation, and agreed on the proper way to handle anything in the future.
Fast forward to two weeks ago, where the customer was discussing their future relationship with us, and in casual discussion mentioned that situation again, and was grateful we handled it. At that point, he gave up the name of the individual during casual conversation. The boss contacted HR, and that individual is now in hot water, on a corrective action course, and likely one foot out of the door.
What used to be tolerated, laughed at, retold, repeated, encouraged, whatever, is no longer allowed. Just keep your mouth closed, turn and walk away seems to work much better today.

In defense of Daly (and remembering the comments were made 35 years ago), he is not a native American, perhaps having less sensitivity to the racial climate here, and has no doubt heard many a pejorative epithet aimed at his nationality which he is expected to laugh off.

Lamey, is simply extremely stupid. For a man that has spent his life in the public media, there is no excuse for what he said and who he said it to in a work setting.

Last edited:
Colts guy deserved it. People are such idiots these days. No situational awareness or just dull enough to think a black person would be ok with the n-word being used?

People are soft and or incredibly stupid of their surroundings. What a time to be alive rofl

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Colts guy deserved it. People are such idiots these days. No situational awareness or just dull enough to think a black person would be ok with the n-word being used?

People are soft and or incredibly stupid of their surroundings. What a time to be alive rofl

I’ve been thinking lately about “people are soft”, especially in the context of the constant news reports about someone being offended by just about anything. We’ve had two generations now with no real adversity in their lives (eg, the draft ended in 1972). I love the term “snowflake” because it describes our society perfectly. I sincerely doubt that today’s American youth could pull off something like the “Greatest Generation” had to.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Lamey, is simply extremely stupid.

But that's not a crime someone should be punished for. However "stupid" he is, or might be, he meant no malice by it. Especially if he was simply quoting what someone else had said ages ago. That's crazy. People slip and say things they shouldn't. I retired almost 4 years ago, and it was bad then. Before I retired, it had progressed to the point I would not converse with ANY woman employee on ANY topic. If it was something work related, I had one of my supervisors deal with it, and I told them why I wouldn't.

All of this stuff has gotten completely out of control. Forget "off color" jokes. I'm talking about saying anything that a woman or minority could take out of context, and be fired over it.

As an example. A place where I worked back in 2002 had a I.T. guy who had worked there for over 20 years. One day he asked the gal in the office who handled the payroll, when it would be convenient for her to let him install some new anti viral software. He said it was very important because all of the payroll information was on her computer.

He made an analogy that going on the Internet without up to date anti viral protection, was like having unprotected sex. I thought it was a good analogy..... But he was FIRED for it. And remember, this was in 2002, 16 years ago. I can just imagine how idiotic it has gotten now.

Does everyone remember ESPN's silly, stupid decision to not let Robert Lee broadcast a University of Virginia football telecast, because of his name? They said it sounded too "racist". This type of lunacy knows no bounds. I'm so glad I'm out of the workforce, and no longer are forced to deal with this out of control stupidity.

I sincerely doubt that today’s American youth could pull off something like the “Greatest Generation” had to.

They couldn't. And I will go to my grave saying we beat the Japs in W.W. II. I don't care who it "offends".

I'm not going to post any of the videos here because it will only succeed in getting this thread locked for politics. But go on You Tube and watch some of the videos showing how Clinton supporters reacted to her loss on election night. They were all crying, sniveling, and weeping like little babies with full diapers. It was unbelievable! I didn't act like that when my mother died.

These snowflakes are nothing but gutless invertebrates that are totally lacking a spine of any kind. If 40 years ago someone would have told me young college educated people would be acting like that over a Presidential election, I would have laughed at them. But pathetic as it is, here we are. God help us.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Yet white folks especially conservative Christians are subjected to demeaning comments, made fun of, called insulting names/labels etc. and all is well?
Because they are sheep.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I sincerely doubt that today’s American youth could pull off something like the “Greatest Generation” had to.

They couldn't. And I will go to my grave saying we beat the Japs in W.W. II. I don't care who it "offends".

Is this "greatest generation" the one responsible for the 17 years of Afghanistan and 15 years of Iraq? I'm still out here fighting that fight - and there are plenty of kids out here too.

Look, I'm sick of all the SJWs and race-baiting PC-Police, and I'm sick of outrage culture. But attitudes like this ARE NOT helping. Both sides barricade themselves up inside their own echo chambers and just shout louder to drown out the other side.

There are a few LOUD voices on the far right and the far left - but the reality is that most people are somewhere in the middle. If people would just shut their mouths and open their ears they might realize that.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Is this "greatest generation" the one responsible for the 17 years of Afghanistan and 15 years of Iraq? I'm still out here fighting that fight - and there are plenty of kids out here too.

Look, I'm sick of all the SJWs and race-baiting PC-Police, and I'm sick of outrage culture. But attitudes like this ARE NOT helping. Both sides barricade themselves up inside their own echo chambers and just shout louder to drown out the other side.

There are a few LOUD voices on the far right and the far left - but the reality is that most people are somewhere in the middle. If people would just shut their mouths and open their ears they might realize that.

Nothing's ever their fault. It's also the millennials fault for being the way they are and it has nothing to do with how they were raised by the greatest generation or the one after that
smile.gif

/sarcasm

Last edited:
I hope this doesn't get this thread locked, because it's not political. It does help explain just how bad the newer generation is developing. For the last several days they have been advertising a "mini series" that is starting Sunday on STARZ cable channel called, "America To Me". It was all shot over a year period at Oak Park And River Forest High School in Oak Park, Illinois. I graduated from that very same high school in 1970.

It is considered to be one of the best public high schools in the United States. Back then, as well as now. When I attended it, there were 2 black students in the whole school. My graduating senior class was 100% white. There were close to 4,000 kids enrolled there back then. And around 3,300 now. Today the black students number around 28% of the student body, give or take.

In the previews, the black students are all complaining "how white" the school is. Along with, "how it was built for white kids". And how the white students don't know who "Biggie Smalls" is, or Malcolm X. Now this is what I'm not getting. Why does it matter? Since the dawn of time blacks have always complained that schools in the black community did not offer the same quality of education as schools in the white neighborhoods. Which I will agree with.

So today these black students are getting the same high quality level of education as the white kids like myself got attending Oak Park High...... And yet they complain because, "the school is too white"? That's ridiculous. Besides, if it upsets them that much, they can go 2 miles east and enroll in the Austin District high school. Which is located in one of the most crime ridden and dangerous areas of Chicago. But it's "very black".

My point is why all the constant never ending complaining? Nothing is ever right. And someone else is always to blame for it. Why not do what I did, along with what the rest of the students who attended there did? And that is to simply ****, go to class, study as hard as you can, and learn the material as best you can. Then simply graduate, and get on with the rest of your life. But they're seemingly not interested in that. They would rather complain. And we are not helping by giving them this mouthpiece to complain about everything.

I'm going to try and watch this series. But somehow I'm already getting the impression it is just going to be more left wing, "whites are all bad", racial whining. I hope I'm wrong. But if I'm not, this is a big part of the whole problem today. And blacks don't own the franchise on it either.

As I speculated in an earlier post Daly’s story was due to his lack of understanding of America’s racial culture as a new immigrant. Then idiot Lamey “misremembered” the story changing from a non-racial comment to a racial one.

Daly says he was schooled on the use of the word in America right after he made the remark 35 years ago by Robin Miller and hasn’t used the word since.

Daly’s crucifiction is totally misplaced. Wail away on the DA Lamey.

https://fox59.com/2018/08/23/daly-tells-his-side-of-his-story/

I’d also like to say, there is no need to lock this thread. All comments have been respectful. There is no need to cut off a good discussion just because you don’t like someone’s opinion.

Last edited:
Now it's being reported that Conor Daly has just lost his NASCAR sponsorship over all of this nonsense.

https://racer.com/2018/08/24/lilly-diabetes-pulls-daly-sponsorship/

Absolutely absurd, obviously using racist terms in unacceptable. However Derek came from another country when it wasn't viewed the same. Once he found out he was rightfully mortified. But to hold it against his son is way too extreme.

People forget that words have different meanings in different areas and countries.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Now it's being reported that Conor Daly has just lost his NASCAR sponsorship over all of this nonsense.

https://racer.com/2018/08/24/lilly-diabetes-pulls-daly-sponsorship/

Absolutely absurd, obviously using racist terms in unacceptable. However Derek came from another country when it wasn't viewed the same. Once he found out he was rightfully mortified. But to hold it against his son is way too extreme.

People forget that words have different meanings in different areas and countries.

It's pretty apparent and sad that we live in a time where people aren't forgiven, no matter how much remorse is shown. Second chances are far and few in-between anymore.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back