Deposit Shield Havoline 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a voa on this oil? Havoline/Chevron states that it has 1100 ppm of zinc. I have seen a voa that said that it only had approx. 400. On another site. Just curious.

How does one go about sending an oil in for a voa?

Last edited:
I am interested as well. Not so interested that I want to spend $30 to find out though. I'd like to know if any of name brands in 20W-50 have at least 1100 ppm ZDDP anymore besides M1. Castrol GTX has reduced ZDDP in 20W-50 according to a Castrol Rep. It is getting hard if not impossible to identify a "high" ZDDP oil that would be readily availble on the shelf if you were in a pinch and needed some oil. I think Kendall GT-1 used to be about 1100 ppm in 20W-50 as well. These guys reformulate so much I can't keep up. Maybe the EPA wants to run our old engines into the ground????

Very true, the diesel oils in 15W-40 are always a good alternative. I wonder how the new diesels will be with respect to ZDDP and other additives. Everything seems to be leaning out on additive packages but the diesels will be the last to cave in I assume. But I always try to keep some alternatives in mind for when I'm on the road 500 miles from home and have to walk to the nearest WM or parts store. It has never happened to me but others that I've been with have had bikes tipped over in the hotel parking lot amoung other things and had to go to the nearest oil supplier to the incident and get whatever they can get. Not a bad idea to keep some spark plug numbers in the back of your mind either...just in case.

Ok, just ordered a free kit from Blackstone. I'll post the results as soon as I get them in.

Question. Since Zddp is a sacrificial layer of protection. wouldn't changing the oil more often make up for the lesser zinc amount in an oil? EX: My 69 Firebird, modified 400 springs 115lb seat pressure 330lbs open pressure. Weekend driver if that. change the oil regardless every three months. Is this 1200 ppm of zinc per quart recommendation recommended on a three thousand mile oic and or short oic intervals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: James408
Ok, just ordered a free kit from Blackstone. I'll post the results as soon as I get them in.

Question. Since Zddp is a sacrificial layer of protection. wouldn't changing the oil more often make up for the lesser zinc amount in an oil? EX: My 69 Firebird, modified 400 springs 115lb seat pressure 330lbs open pressure. Weekend driver if that. change the oil regardless every three months. Is this 1200 ppm of zinc per quart recommendation recommended on a three thousand mile oic and or short oic intervals.

Well?

I wonder what part of Texas he is from?
The 09/03/08 post was his last. That was about a week before Ike.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shanneba

Well then I'll send in a sample for him. I have a 1/2 quart left.

Originally Posted By: shanneba

Yeah your right, my 70 year old mother who is on oxygen was from Shore Acres(La Porte, Texas) and she lost her home. I've been busy with her and I never got around to it. Sorry guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back