DeOxit Worked

The time base adjustment on my Rigol DS1052E scope was getting wonky, and unusable at below freezing temperatures. I took the front cover off to access the encoder which generated the signal for the time base adjustment. I did not unsolder the encoder from the circuit board but worked some DeOxit into two small gaps that were there on the case of the encoder and then turned the encoder shaft many times to give the DeOxit a chance to work on the traces inside the encoder.

Put the scope back together and the encoder is working well now. 000_0254.JPG

Cool. Nice to see something fixed instead of junked.

I have a Fluke scope at work. The digital ones seem harder to operate than the old school analog ones. I learned on an old crt scope. I have managed to use it to see PWM outputs and pulse signals but have to fight the noise.

I "fixed" the button that was phantom pressing on my coffee grinder with some deoxit d5.

It would race through 1-12 cup settings then stop.. then randomly power on and race 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 etc

now works again.

Stabilant22 does that job on contacts. Switches (rotary and sliding) get this:

Cool. Nice to see something fixed instead of junked.

I have a Fluke scope at work. The digital ones seem harder to operate than the old school analog ones. I learned on an old crt scope. I have managed to use it to see PWM outputs and pulse signals but have to fight the noise.
Digital Storage Oscilloscopes will have some kind of "smooth" function to eliminate noise. My Rigol has a "average acquisition" function where it will acquire multiple waveforms in a row and display the average of the waveforms, which effectively eliminates noise. My old Fluke 98 II has a dedicated Smooth button which filters out noise. If you post your Fluke model number I will tell you how to filter out the noise.

The Storage part of a DSO is important for me because I use scopes to troubleshoot trucks and you cannot watch the display while you are driving the truck and waiting for it to act up. I can store a long waveform and, when I get back to the yard, can zoom in on the stored waveform and analyze it. Analog scopes will just not work in these situations.

Stabilant22 does that job on contacts. Switches (rotary and sliding) get this:

I have Stabilant22 and use it but am still not sure how well it works.

Another important chemical is anti-fretting grease, like Motorcraft XG12

Contact Cleaners remove greasy deposits but not oxidation. You need DeOxit to strip out oxidation.

NASA developed contact enhancer. Supposedly, treating a contact with it is electrively(sp?) equivalent to a soldered connection. Does it dissolve corrosion, too?
Not really. I always use some type of contact cleaner first and make sure the contacts are clean and dry.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Yes it is. I looked into getting some last year and it was around $90 a bottle for the full strength stuff. I didn't buy any yet. I do have Deoxit and it works well.
And the bad thing is that Stabilant is one time use. Unplug a connector and need to reapply when putting it back together.

Reactions: wtd
DeOxit has their 'shield' product, said to protect clean conductive surfaces and enhance conductivity.

I've noticed it can swell accordian silicone connector boots.

Forgot that i had stabilant 22.

Seriously though, it lasts forever. How often are you taking stuff apart?

Even if you're disassembling stuff all the time, it's less than a drop for most connectors.
Thanks- I do take connections apart. Regarding Stabilant, is there any concern regarding potential short circuit between adjacent terminals from migration?

Thanks- I do take connections apart. Regarding Stabilant, is there any concern regarding potential short circuit between adjacent terminals from migration?

Not according to the manufacturer. It only becomes conductive when the film is very thin, as in between a pin and its mating socket. Adjacent terminals are too far apart for the film to become conductive.

Figured i would add to this a bit and will update as i get more experience with DeOxit and Stabilant. Have used DeOxit for few years now with pretty good results. Just got Stabilant-22 and mixed it up with the 99% IPA. Applied it to the ECU contacts on an 06 Volvo V70R after having some odd electrical gremlins arise (including “reduced engine performance” due to throttle body vs. throttle pedal mismatch). So far, so good. Agree with someone else that the small bottle of the stuff will last forever as it is used sparingly. Stabilant-22 cost about $60.

Back