Dented Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received my new to me Chevy 17" polished rims and Firestone 215/50 17 tires with about 300 miles on them.

Rims look fantastic but 3 of the 4 tires had well...hard to explain...there are dents in the tires... imagine you are looking at the tread of the tire and it looks like someone pressed on the tread and pushed it back in towards the rim....not from the sidewall but right on the tread(hope that makes sense)

In any event, I'm thinking the shipper let air out of the tires to lighten the load and somehow in shipment it happened. I have an email into him right now to find out. Once I put a bit of air in the tire it popped right out and "looked" ok

What do you guys think? Should these tires be ok you think? Only 300 miles on the tires so I'd hate for them to be ruined....

I'll try to get a pic

Goose

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like a flat spot from sitting upright. What is the date code on the tire? This may help bracket the time that it was sitting upright.

Well they were OEM takeoffs on a 2008 HHR...he put 18" rims on and sold me these as a package....

I'll try to get a pic up....there was not much air in the tires and the tread was pushed back towards the center of the rim....once I put air in you could visibly see it pop back the way it should be. Sort of like a basketball that has been pushed in and pops out once air goes in

I'm just concerned about the belts ..the "pushed" in part looked uniform...no weird angles

Goose

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Goose (Oh, I loved doing that!!)

Sounds like the tires were partially unseated in shipment. Nothing to worry about.

But pics would help.

Do you mean just by putting air back in I more than likely should be good to go?

Goose

DSCN2255.jpg

DSCN2254.jpg

DSCN2253.jpg

Like I said...once air put in...popped back into shape

Goose

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
I'm thinking the shipper let air out of the tires to lighten the load...

LOL.gif

Anyway yeah, no harm done, with the tires properly inflated, you're good to go!

No need to worry about the belts. The tire will not hold a normal shape if there is belt damage. You will notice a bulge out. Never trust a tire that has a bulge out somewhere, but you're just fine :)

Yup, it looks like all the air was let out, and it was packaged in a place that is warmer than where you are now. The air inside the tire shrunk in transit (PV=nRT). The tires probably would have popped out if you simply cracked the valve open so it could draw more air.

Enjoy your tires.

It's only flat on the bottom, so this will help you mount it correctly.
LOL.gif

If you put a pencil gauge on it, would the stick disappear into a time/space wormhole?
LOL.gif

Descending into Death Valley I actually had a soda bottle in the backseat implode from the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back