Denso Oil filter - outsourced / quality changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep I quit using the chinese Densos when I got my last Rockauto order for my Scion.

I loaded up on the supertech filters and they seem to be better built.

Either way my scion doesn't care what filter I use on it, but its all psychological to me.

The old Densos I think were from Taiwan or Japan and they were very nicely built.

I thought the left-hand filter looked like a Fram too. I had to check the box to see if it was actually a Fram, but nope, Fram doesn't manufacture in China AFAIK.

The old Densos I used to buy were from Taiwan but they were built like a brick [censored]-house. These new ones are no better than the cheapest filters you can buy on Rockauto, Walmart, name your place. Maybe the pleat spacing is more even than a Purolator, but that still doesn't justify $5 when you can get better quality for the same price.

One thing is for sure, I'll stop adding them to Rockauto orders from here on out. I can get a cheap Chinese filter at Rural King (probably the same thing / same factory) for about $2. The Rural King filter has a different name, but it looks identical to the center filter in the photo. I have one on the shelf, I'll cut open that one too to compare.

has anyone noticed in this post that every one of the "cheap" denso oil filters have come from rockauto? Notice that the logo on the oil filter isn't the same as the box? Sure screams counterfeit to me!

I'm not defending denso, but it seems like a counterfeit the way the logo is printed. Strange things have been happening at rockauto lately, and not for the better.

EDIT: Contact denso, and I bet they'll tell you they're fake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: researcher
has anyone noticed in this post that every one of the "cheap" denso oil filters have come from rockauto? Notice that the logo on the oil filter isn't the same as the box? Sure screams counterfeit to me!

I'm not defending denso, but it seems like a counterfeit the way the logo is printed. Strange things have been happening at rockauto lately, and not for the better.

EDIT: Contact denso, and I bet they’ll tell you they're fake.

Neither of mine came from Rockauto.

Originally Posted By: researcher
has anyone noticed in this post that every one of the "cheap" denso oil filters have come from rockauto? Notice that the logo on the oil filter isn't the same as the box? Sure screams counterfeit to me!....

I don't believe they are "counterfeit". Besides the numerous bitog FTF threads, a couple linked in this one, go to the AAP site and check out their Denso FTF oil filter. Looks identical to the topic RA.

Also Denso FTF box and site descriptions and pics not noted for the accuracy of the actual filter construction, eg., element construction and adbv type (now). Pics in DuckRyder's previously linked thread and Hootbro's comment at the end of it confirm that fact.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I accidentally ordered the wrong filter for my mower-- I usually order PH3600 equiv. as it's a longer PH3614 that fits in my mowers. I always thought I could punch in a 1990's Chevy Astro to get a PH3600, but I was wrong. I got an 18mm baseplate filter which NONE of my cars take. Whoops. I don't know how I made that error,

Chevy has NEVER used a 3/4"-16 thread filter on anything that I am aware of.

Think Ford products, like a Ford Focus, when ordering small engine oil filters.

This is like 3-4 year old news. I would still use them regardless if pricing was right as they are still a decent filter in my opinion.

My only complaint against DENSO filters is that DENSO will only warranty them for 12 months after initial purchase. So that basically means forget stockpiling them in quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back