Delvac Vs. Mobil 1 HM, 2009 3.7 Mazda CX-9, 10K Interval UOA's

Have never posted my wife's CX-9 UOA's. 3.7 Ford Duratecs are infamous for fatal water pump leaks so that is why I do UOA's on her ride mainly.
I used Delvac 1300 15W-40 and previously had used Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40. Duratec 3.7's are also notorious oil consumers in these heavy vehicles. My theory is that that high revving 3.7 just don't have the torque for a 4400 pound vehicle. I noticed that when I ran 5w-20 and 5w-30, it used lots more oil, say 1.5-2 qts per 10K miles. Using high viscosity oils seemed to reduce the oil consumption. No leaks. Interesting the results from a HDEO versus a "synthetic".
s

Attachments

• CX-9 comparo.jpg
    CX-9 comparo.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 180
I don’t think that the engine noticed a difference in oils in regards to wear. Looks nearly identical, which is a good thing.

Another run is needed to confirm reduced oil consumption.

Looks good. Delvac held up extremely well for 10k, interesting how it retained it's viscosity better than the "fully synthetic" 10w40, despite the M1HM starting with a higher KV100.

Looks good. Delvac held up extremely well for 10k, interesting how it retained it's viscosity better than the "fully synthetic" 10w40, despite the M1HM starting with a higher KV100.
I was surprised since Delvac is just a blend but **** at what a blend it is! Money wise, it whipped the M1 soundly. $12.99 gallon before $3 rebate!

Back