Delvac in Tractor oil

Hi!
I have an old 80s Case 585XL tractor but treat it very well.
I have been using Delvac MX 15W40 many years and change it every summer.
But the Machine workshop I'm working in have now got a deal on the Delvac Xtra XHP 10W40 which i can get for a very nice price.
Would the XHP 10W40 be a better alternative to the MX 15W40 for this old engine?

The old 585 Case tractors are good units; I've been on that and the smaller 485 series a while back.
Generally those engines are not particular about the oil they use as long as the lube is rated for the application.

Here's the PDF I found for it:
It's a modern lube for emmisions applications, but it also covers a WIDE range of "recommended for" and "meets or exceeds" back-specs.

That lube will be fine in that old case!

By the way ... only 1 post since joining in 2015? Wow !

I would continue using 15w-40 in your Case. I use 15w-40 in my much older 1940 Ford 9N.

Keep an eye on the oil consumption and oil pressure. Delvac is a high quality line of products.

Hi!
I have an old 80s Case 585XL tractor but treat it very well.
I have been using Delvac MX 15W40 many years and change it every summer.
But the Machine workshop I'm working in have now got a deal on the Delvac Xtra XHP 10W40 which i can get for a very nice price.
Would the XHP 10W40 be a better alternative to the MX 15W40 for this old engine?

The problem with them ol mills is oil pressure, tons of hours and lack of Maintenace equals to big tolerances everywhere inside. Myself I would keep the 15w40 unless you know oil pressure is adequate.

The operating grades on both oils are 40 grade so unless you have blow by on start up or cold start oil usage issues you should be fine. I don't see why you couldn't use it.

just my $0.02

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd want an oil analysis of both to see how they compare. I am no fan of 'emissions saving' oils in older engines. I prefer my zddp, and the visc/hths would usually be better with a 15w vs a 10w. I'd stick with the 15w40 even thought I usually only use synthetic oils.

Back