Delvac and Zinc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can 5W40 Delvac be used in gasoline engines, such as the engine in Saturn cars? Is the Zinc level too high? How well does Delvac keep the engine clean?

Try doing a search. Yes D1 can be used in a gasoline engine. Mobil's webpage tells you this too.
smile.gif

Zinc is not the problem, phosphorus is, of course they come together as components of the ZDDP...zinc dialkyldithiophosphate or related compound.

Any oil rated API-SL or SJ will be OK in a modern gasoline engine, even if that oil also has a diesel engine rating.

Ken

phosphorus is only a problem if your oil is volitile. If you have an engine that is poorly designed and built. If the company uses very cheaply built catalytic converters! The manufacture that crys the loadest about this is known to have engine that are predisposed to burning oil due to bad piston and ring designs. They use the lowest quality converters in the industry. They also recomend a really thin 5W30 and we all know how volitile a 5W30 conventional oil can be! If you own a Saturn your primary concerns should be will it flow in my climate and will it resist sludge!

phosphorus is only a problem if your oil is volitile. If you have an engine that is poorly designed and built. If the company uses very cheaply built catalytic converters! The manufacture that crys the loadest about this is known to have engine that are predisposed to burning oil due to bad piston and ring designs. They use the lowest quality converters in the industry. They also recomend a really thin 5W30 and we all know how volitile a 5W30 conventional oil can be! If you own a Saturn your primary concerns should be will it flow in my climate and will it resist sludge! I really doubt that Olree could realy find to fualt with Delvac 1 5W40 as it out flows conventional 5W30's by a large margin! Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back