Delvac 1300 Super Synthetic since when?

Okay. I have been reading all day threads about 1300 Super and I haven't actually seen anyone mention the fact that everywhere you look (including these rebate deals posted in the last few months) all the Delvac 1300 Super is now labeled as Premium Synthetic Blend. I read something posted back in 2010 about how technically it could be considered a synthetic blend anyway. My question is, is it the same oil just now being marketed as synthetic, or is it different? I ask because my grandfather has been running this oil forever in all his trucks but now is worried about it and is considering swapping to Rotella T4 because he can no longer find the conventional version of this oil.

Last edited:
18 Wheelers. Freightliner's, one International, and one Western Star, all 60 Series Detroits.

If Delvac 1300 has changed to full synthetic, it has happened recently enough that Mobil has not yet updated their website. I just looked at the Mobil website for Delvac 1300, and the pds that is attached. Both show Delvac 1300 as being a "premium synthetic blend diesel engine oil".

Where have you seen it listed as a full synthetic?

If Delvac 1300 has changed to full synthetic, it has happened recently enough that Mobil has not yet updated their website. I just looked at the Mobil website for Delvac 1300, and the pds that is attached. Both show Delvac 1300 as being a "premium synthetic blend diesel engine oil".

Where have you seen it listed as a full synthetic?
My bad I guess the jugs do say Synthetic blend not full Synthetic. But they never did in the past. Which is why I was wondering if it changed or juat the marketing/labeling changed. Will correct my original post.

I have a bottle I bought for my generator in 2022. it doesn't say semi syn but on the back literally lists the ingredients as Severely Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic Distillate 64742-54-7. Smarter people than me here say that means it can be Group II, II+ or 3. So I guess that makes it possibly semi syn, or possibly not - correct?

That bottle is CK4 / SN rated.

I have a bottle I bought for my generator in 2022. it doesn't say semi syn but on the back literally lists the ingredients as Severely Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic Distillate 64742-54-7. Smarter people than me here say that means it can be Group II, II+ or 3. So I guess that makes it possibly semi syn, or possibly not - correct?

That bottle is CK4 / SN rated.
I read a post about this earlier today, that was from back in 2010 saying pretty much this. That it was/could be considered a synthetic blend even back then. But Mobile didn't consider anything that didn't use some other more expensive process to be a true synthetic, therefore they didn't label it as such. I guess I am trying to find a way to prove it is the same oil so I don't have to buy 40 gallons of Rotella tomorrow, and be switching from what he knows and is comfortable with for no reason. I have never really studied the back of an oil jug and never heard of any of these things until today. Can you literally just look at the ingredients list on both to say they are the same? Like you would compare name brands of herbicides to the store brands to make sure they have the same active ingredients?

Rotella T4, and the lowest tier Delo are also now labeled as synthetic blends.
Interesting, I think I have him convinced that he will be safe sticking with his favorite brand. I will compare numbers off the jugs tommorow at the store and send pictures if I have to. He was just extra worked up about it because he only has enough oil on hand to service all the trucks one more time, so within the next 6 weeks he has to get more oil.

I really appreciate the quick education. Thank you for your help everyone.

I'm sure their group III base stock reached an industry "Standard" amount so now they call it "Semi-Synthetic". It's been mentioned here before about it being a blend now. With Super Tech Full Synthetic being $15.84 now another option. Delvac also has their new Syn Blend product now as well that replaced the "Conventional" product.

The latest SDS from M1 website dated late 2023 seems to have the same as whats on my bottle from late 2022.

1718931861368.jpg

Since "full synthetics" can be labelled as "full synthetic" without being 100% synthetic, does a synthetic blend have even less of the synthesized oil than a "full synthetic"?

Since "full synthetics" can be labelled as "full synthetic" without being 100% synthetic, does a synthetic blend have even less of the synthesized oil than a "full synthetic"?
There seems to be some "General industry Standards" on what ratio's are blended to market for "Semi-Synthetic" or "Full Synthetic" But yeah there's no mandated standard for the consumer to really know unfortunately.

Back