Delvac 1/TFOUT Test ASTM D-4742

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what the ASTM D-4742 results are for Delvac 1 in its current CI-4 formulation?

(Or other "long life/extended drain" oils like GC, M1 0W-40, Amsoil)

For D1, all I could find was 905 (CG) and 829 (CH) in this thread.

(For comparison, Castrol GTX 5W-30 is 163, and M1 5W-30 is 368)

Thanks,
Jason

TFOUT ASTM D-4742, May 2003 10W-30 oils

AMSOIL >500 (No Break)
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 397
Pennzoil with Purebase 242
Castrol Syntec 221
Valvoline 219
Valvoline Syn Power 211
Mobil Drive Clean 209
QS Peak Performance 192
Pennoil Synthetic 159
QS Synthetic 148
Castrol GTX Drive Hard 132

If nothing else, it indicates that Pennzoil and QS synthetics are different formulations.

Wow, the Thin Film Oxygen Uptake (TFOUT) is a SEVERE test:

Run at 160 C in an oxygen pressurized vessel along with a metal catalyst, a fuel catalyst, and water to determine oxidation stability.

So the older Delvac 1's had values +800 while PCEO are sometimes under 200?

I guess that's why Mobil claims "for severe extended oil drains far beyond the manufacturer recommendations."

Wish they would publish the TFOUT test scores for every oil.

Jerry

D1 CH-4 829, D1 CG-4 905. Next down was Royal Purple Long Rider CH-4 was 701. Schaeffer S7000 CH-4 225. Unfortunately I don't have CI-4 figures. Same sheets also have ASTM D-2670 Falex Vee block wear test. Lowest wear LE 8800 Ultra (3), then Sunoco Super C and Minuteman AGIP All-Guard (5) followed by RP Long Rider and Schaeffers Supreme 7000 (6)

quote:

Originally posted by heyjay:

I just wish that Mobil would publish specs they previously had available. I want to compare, and now i can't.

Definately leaves a sour taste.

ferb!

quote:

Originally posted by Ferb:

quote:

Originally posted by heyjay:

I just wish that Mobil would publish specs they previously had available. I want to compare, and now i can't.

Definately leaves a sour taste.

ferb!

Hey Ferb:

Boy have you got that right!

Either they think we're too dumb to understand the specs, or they want to treat us like little children. Either way it leaves a sour taste for me too.

Jerry

TFOUT is one bench test. Then there is Cold Crank Simulator, High Temperature/High Shear, NOACK Volatility, Pour Point, Total Base Number,--

would seem that one maybe shouldn't select an oil based upon 1 lab test----

true, but maybe the converse applies--based on its poor results, i wouldn't choose castrol GTX for dino oil. frankly, i'm surprised it was last place...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back