Delvac 1 or Amsoil 15w40 Diesel/Marine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was almost positive that I was going to be using Delvac 1 5w-40 in my 99 5.9L 24V Cummins equipped Ram. Then, I found out that right down the road I can get the Amsoil 15w-40 Synthetic Diesel and Marine oil.

The Delvac 1 is $21.99 a gallon and the Amsoil is $19.10 a gallon.

I am not using a bypass oil filter system, just a Fleetguard Stratapore oil filter.

I am hoping to go at least 6,000 miles on the oil.

I've heard so many good things about the two oils it is impossible for me to decide.

Which would you choose and why?

Run each for two or three consectutive OCI's. At the end of the 2nd or 3rd change, run an analysis and then decide.

Both will go 6K no issues. I personally love the AME 15W-40....it's a great bargain, I use it in my turbo...the place down the road is just under suggested retail. But they aren't a site sponsor
bowdown.gif

"I am hoping to go at least 6,000 miles on the oil."
6,000 is no problem even with dino oil in your cummins. I have ran petro canada 5w40 to 10k and got good uoa reports in doing so. I am currently using delvac 1300 at 7,500 intervals, but plan to take it out to 10,000 as well. I also might add when I do these 10k drains I am not changing the filter midway through.BTW either is good oil, but not really needed in the cummins unless you want to extend your drains out passed 10k which I am sure either would do.

It seems like most of the guys with high HP Cummins, Powerstrokes, and Duramax as well as the performance diesel shops all use Amsoil.

I am leaning towards Amsoil now actually.

quote:

Originally posted by Intelman34:
It seems like most of the guys with high HP Cummins, Powerstrokes, and Duramax as well as the performance diesel shops all use Amsoil.

As an advertiser on a Cummins site, I've been recommending 10,000 with a filter change at 5K conservative. Normal, would be 15,000 with a filter change at 7500.

quote:

Not so sure about that. Delvac 1 is one **** of an oil, as is the Amsoil. I think they are very close. Delvac 1 is consider to be among the top oils you can buy. I'd go with either. The 5w of the Delvac 1 might be good for winter.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Not so sure about that. Delvac 1 is one **** of an oil, as is the Amsoil. I think they are very close. Delvac 1 is consider to be among the top oils you can buy. I'd go with either. The 5w of the Delvac 1 might be good for winter.

Good point about the winter aspect of it.

Now I just don't know which one to use.
dunno.gif

Intelman34

You really can't go wrong with either oil.

As to the winter aspect, pour points of the two are within a degree C on the sheets I just checked...-44C for the 15-40 Amsoil and -45C for the D1. Both are excellent.

Just to add to your decision problems, the Amsoil 10W-40 has a pour point of -48C!!! This is the oil I use year-round in my VW diesel.

Personally, I use the Amsoil over the D1 because I can get it delivered to my door at the same price as buying the D1 locally. And being an old Wisconsin boy, I like to support my fellow Cheeseheads!

I ordered my last two cases from Michael Sparks and they were on my doorstep in Houston in less than 48 hours. That is my idea of shopping!

Tim

PS That -48C pour point really comes in handy during our harsh Houston winters!

10k filter changes with 20k oil changes on my 2000 Ford powerstroke. Total oil used for 20k miles is about 20qts.

I spoke to a gentleman visiting AJ last summer and he had 340K+ miles with only 2 oil changes on his diesel. He was running Amsoil 15w40 for the first 175k and only changed out to put in 5w30 Amsoil. He was replacing a bypass filter every 25k and topping off.

I plan to put a bypass on my powerstroke at the end of this cycle and switch to the 5w30 just to see if I pick up more mpg. The price difference between the two oils should be offset in about 10k miles.

I've used both oils in the same truck that you have. Forget about the published pour point specs, when temperatures get below 10 degrees F, oil pressure comes up quicker and the engine definitely settles down faster and with the Delvac. There is a significant difference between a 5W and a 15W oil. You will notice the difference in driveability during the winter.

Having said that, I now run the Amsoil year round. It is cheaper than the Delvac and it rarely gets below the teens where I live. If you use your block heater, the Amsoil will be fine even in your climate.

I've heard that WI winters can be brutal, if not cruel at times.
How many minutes or miles of operation would it take for 11 quarts of oil to warm-up in a cool running Diesel engine at -20F?
I would guess that a 0W30 or 0W40 CI-4 or CG-4 would be the best bet until the end of April.
For the price, a group III 5W40 would be a tough act to beat for cold weather performance.

For northern climates, I like:

Series 3000, 5w-30
Delvac 1, 5w-40
Petro Canada, Duron 5w-40
Shell, 0w-40

I wouldn't run the amsoil 15w-40 in the winter up north - the Series 3000 will work significantly better and provide a small fuel savings ....

Tooslick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back