Delvac 1 ESP 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at a jug of the above Mobil Delvac oil at the store today, based on what I saw on the Mobil Delvac website. The website said Delvac 1 ESP was approved for SN and SM ratings. There was no date on the website. When I looked at the jug there was no mention of this. Anyone know the story?

Here is the data from the website.

5W-40
Specifications and approvals
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 engine oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:

ACEA E9, E7
API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, SN, SM

Last edited:
Every time I see "emissions system protection" ...
all I can hear in my mind is "Low SAPS".

I like SAPS... (well, except the ash)

Might be old stock. I think Delvac 1 5w40 was certified SN within the past year or so and its pricey without that rebate so it sits sometimes. I have 3, 5 gal pails in my basement, 2 from last year, one from 2 years ago, none have SN rating on the bucket. But, I know they rate it now as SN, and would expect to see it listed.

How much $ are you going to have to pay for that?

Last edited:
Is this a good oil? How does it compare to the more expensive 5-40 Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck Oil? They are both full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
Might be old stock. I think Delvac 1 5w40 was certified SN within the past year or so and its pricey without that rebate so it sits sometimes. I have 3, 5 gal pails in my basement, 2 from last year, one from 2 years ago, none have SN rating on the bucket. But, I know they rate it now as SN, and would expect to see it listed.

How much $ are you going to have to pay for that?

You’re probably right. Thanks. This was advertised on the Canadian Tire website for the equivalent of $24.50 US. It didn't show up on their flyer.

Last edited:
Guy at work switched from TDT to D1 in 2017 PSD (tired of Fords HDEO wisdom) and now runs it in tractors, dozer, gens etc ...

The Delo oils continue with an SN rating but seem to get little mention/love here...why? Delo Syn is about $6 less/jug than TDT at Walmart but does it sell?

I think it is old stock. The website was recently changed and now lists the SN, SM specs. When the CK-4 Delvac 1 first was listed on the website, it didn't list the gas specs. I think Mobil will have new labels to match the website on the new batches of Delvac 1 they make.

Originally Posted By: bennybigb
Is this a good oil? How does it compare to the more expensive 5-40 Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck Oil? They are both full synthetic.

I was surprised to see the other day in our local Meijer that the Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 was more expensive than the Delvac 1. When Meijer first started carrying the Delvac 1 (about three years ago, I think), the two oils were the same price. Now, the Delvac 1 has stayed the same price and the TDT has been raised.

The Delvac 1 is good oil. Don't know what has changed with the two oils changing for the CK-4 specs, but, I have been using the CJ-4 versions with great results. The TDT has been marketed and designed with passenger light duty diesel trucks in mind, Powerstroke, Cummins, etc. The Delvac 1 is designed and built with the commercial heavy duty diesels as its main market. This is why Mobil has the Delvac tested for and carries all the Heavy Duty equipment specs that it does.

I called the Mobil tech line a couple of years ago and asked them about the two oils, which would be better in our equipment. We have a farm and have several diesel tractors. The gentleman from Mobil said that the TDT 5W-40 would be "more than adequate" for our tractors, and the Delvac 1 was a beefier and "more robust" oil because of the heavy duty diesel specs it meets. He said the TDT was the cheaper option. When I told him I could purchase the Delvac 1 for the same price as the TDT, he was surprised. "Then, by all means," he said, "go with the Delvac 1. It is the better oil."

15% off at Pep Boys and then $12 off w/ the rebate puts the Delvac 1 at about $15 a gallon ($31.99 regularly). Pretty good price.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I was looking at a jug of the above Mobil Delvac oil at the store today, based on what I saw on the Mobil Delvac website. The website said Delvac 1 ESP was approved for SN and SM ratings. There was no date on the website. When I looked at the jug there was no mention of this. Anyone know the story?

There may have been a change in data sheets along the way. At the start of the CK-4 rollout, there was no mention of gasoline ratings (although the usual blurb about it being suitable for high performance gasoline applications as before was there). As njohnson indicates, just give it some time. By the way, there's a CI-4+ and CJ-4 on the bottle, so it must be good enough for Ford.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Every time I see "emissions system protection" ...
all I can hear in my mind is "Low SAPS".

I like SAPS... (well, except the ash)

Not to pick on you specifically, but this chestnut gets trotted out a lot. Please provide me with an example of a CJ-4 (or CK-4), E7, E9 HDEO with higher SA than this product. And yes, that's a trap.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
The Delo oils continue with an SN rating but seem to get little mention/love here...why? Delo Syn is about $6 less/jug than TDT at Walmart but does it sell?

There is plenty of love for Delo products here! All Chevron products! I only switched to Mobil for my diesels because I get it cheaper now, and I feel it is equal in every way. My trucks don't seem to mind.

I'm really not sure why they even market TDT, Delvac 1 is a better product intended for commercial use. Maybe the big rig picture scares off some buyers...lol, TDT makes them warm and fuzzy

Glad to read this, was going to slap it in my [censored] rallycross 626 anyway. They had it for 40 bucks a 5gal (2bucks a quart) at farm and fleet. Pretty much figured out is oil in a 95. Trying to clean out some of the [censored] that's burnt in the valvetrain from a po

Recently bought 10 1gallon containers with the $12 rebate each at Meijers.
All were ck4 with no "S" ratings.
Saw later they were not Ford approved.
Called Mobil to ask about using it in my older trucks and equipment.
He kept repeating the 0w40 was really good oil....and repeating.
5w40 is not what it used to be.

Originally Posted By: Flyfisherbob
Called Mobil to ask about using it in my older trucks and equipment.

It would be fine. And yes, as already pointed out, tech lines are to be avoided, unless absolutely necessary. At worst, they won't know. At best, they'll give you a stock answer about no SM or SN on the jug, and then panic when you point out the line about high performance gasoline engines in the PDS narrative.

In older diesel equipment, CK-4 is fine, thanks to backwards compatibility, Ford's concerns notwithstanding. For older gasoline engines, if an E7, E9 lubricant was suitable last fall, it's suitable this spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back