Delvac 1 ESP 0W40 in Subaru Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use this particuliar oil in my VW TDI, and seeing as I have to buy it by the case, I always have plenty in supply.

I was wondering if this would safe to run in my 2001 Subaru Forester non-turbo? I typically use Napa Gold filters.

It would save me money if I could do this.

Thanks.

Cool, I will do the oil change tomorrow.

I have been meaning to start doing UOA's on the TDI, maybe I should get fully on-board and do some on the Suby too.

Might have to keep the OCIs short. If you can, do UOAs with TBN and TAN to keep tabs on how it's doing.

Other than that, I say go for it.
thumbsup2.gif

I wouldn't worry about doing a short OCI, the NA Subarus are pretty gentle on oil, unlike the turbo cars. 5K-7.5K is totally doable on any SM-rated or SN-rated oil, and a tough HDEO should be even better. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Why do you get all the COOL oils up there? D1 ESP 0w40! Rotella 0w40! PC Duron 0w40! Esso 0w30 and 0w40!

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Why do you get all the COOL oils up there? D1 ESP 0w40! Rotella 0w40! PC Duron 0w40! Esso 0w30 and 0w40!

Just so you have a reason to travel up here every once in awhile.
smile.gif

Because we get all the cool weather up here. I remember a January morning -72C in Northern Alberta (Google map Fox Lake, Alberta), still not far enough north to be in the Artic Circle yet.

I would run a xxw-30 in the winter not a 40. Sure the 0w-40 will pump in -5 more cold, but it still has to level to a 40, so a 30 would be MUCH thinner in warmup through -20 > operating temps. The Ej 4v also doent have pushrods or tappets or t-chain so the lubrication demands are mosly on the bearings and piston skirts. Would you use a 40 due to piston slap? - if none is noticed I'd avoid it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tuckman

Because we get all the cool weather up here. I remember a January morning -72C in Northern Alberta (Google map Fox Lake, Alberta), still not far enough north to be in the Artic Circle yet.

Why there are a variety of 0w40 and 0w30 oils in Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal but not right across the (US) border remains a mystery to me. We have the same weather as them. (-35C to 0C)

Why there are a variety of 0w40 and 0w30 oils in Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal but not right across the (US) border remains a mystery to me. We have the same weather as them. (-35C to 0C)

If I don't go to bulk dealers I hardly see those oils either. I see XD3 at Home hardware, some Canadian Tire stores carry T-5 0w-40 and I find T-5 at UFA (farm supply store) are the only places I see them in a "retail" store.

Have you ever contacted Petro Canada Chicago office? 1-888-284-4572
or
Here is an email link
https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/independent/1449.aspx

Originally Posted By: tuckman
If I don't go to bulk dealers I hardly see those oils either. I see XD3 at Home hardware, some Canadian Tire stores carry T-5 0w-40 and I find T-5 at UFA (farm supply store) are the only places I see them in a "retail" store.

That's quite right. We may have a lot of nifty oils "available" here, but finding them is another story. Walmart here is like Walmart anywhere else. They sell what will fly off the shelves, and a 4x4 of Duron isn't one of those things. Heck, our Walmarts have less selection than American ones. Our Canadian Tires have a reasonable selection of strange viscosities, but one certainly pays the price for them there.

If have typically always gone to the distributor for most of my oil for the TDI. This is where I got the D1, and XD3 (previously). The Shell distributor is a 5 minute drive, as I was also thinking of trying out their T6 if the price was competitive with the D1. Either way, the distributor works out much cheaper if I buy by the oil by the case, and I have access to all the oil without hunting around for a jug at Walmart, Canadian Tire etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back