Delta cancelling flights - claiming staffing shortage

May I ask where you live?

A number of countries want their national airlines to keep going even if they are in financial distress.
Trust me, governments Would panic , fear public backlash if the airlines started going bankrupt and canceling routes because they will want to travel again.

Every time airlines cut routes here, the Media and govt gets annoyed because they know it will take a long time for them to restart those routes due to planes being parked and more layoffs. The govt doesn’t want to help but they want the airlines flying so that routes are maintained ( for when things reopen plus for “essential workers” who travel but in very small numbers ). They cannot have it both ways. The govt seems to want them to take on more debt, lay off more staff but keep flying empty planes which is insane.

People here who talk about how airlines need to go though bankruptcy again simply do not understand. What good will another round of chapter 11 bankruptcy do when traffic is down 95% and they are losing around $20 million a day even with 1/3 of their fleet parked and over 30,000 Laid off plus pay cuts for those still working. There is nothing left to restructure for. This is not sustainable.

Its gets even better.....the ATC agency that handles the airspace in our country jacked up it’s rates by 30% to the airlines. Why, they say they didn’t get any govt help and they are losing money because the airlines are not flying Much.

wait when things reopen.....less service, higher fares.

All could have been prevented.

I am done with this topic. I did my part for those who lost their jobs and the stress employees are under.

Last edited:
Over the last 20 years or so have had consolidation in the airline business. United, AA and Delta are the three big legacy carriers left out of several that used to serve the market. Then there are the domestic carriers like Alaska, Southwest etc. The big three do most of the international travel in and out.

So the system has worked for the most part. The weaker airlines either merged or otherwise. The US is a big country and needs healthy competitive airlines to keep travelers flying.

Over the last 20 years or so have had consolidation in the airline business. United, AA and Delta are the three big legacy carriers left out of several that used to serve the market. Then there are the domestic carriers like Alaska, Southwest etc. The big three do most of the international travel in and out.

So the system has worked for the most part. The weaker airlines either merged or otherwise. The US is a big country and needs healthy competitive airlines to keep travelers flying.
Competition is good/healthy, not an unlevel playing field.

Competition is good/healthy, not an unlevel playing field.

Each airline depends on its people and management to make it and keep it successful. Any airline could falter given the right circumstances.

Not all that long ago, Cathay Pacific was one of the great world airlines. I’ve flown on them and they were good. But, a grave miscalculation by management on fuel price hedging really hurt them. Then they tried to recover by micromanaging costs like food and amenities. There is more to the story of course but today Cathay Pacific doesn’t have the reputation it once had.

Each airline depends on its people and management to make it and keep it successful. Any airline could falter given the right circumstances.

Not all that long ago, Cathay Pacific was one of the great world airlines. I’ve flown on them and they were good. But, a grave miscalculation by management on fuel price hedging really hurt them. Then they tried to recover by micromanaging costs like food and amenities. There is more to the story of course but today Cathay Pacific doesn’t have the reputation it once had.
Even the best-run airlines would not have survived without help. When I say "help" I am also referring to a coherent airline policy that allows them to fly, safely under the circumstances ( to more places ) . That is lacking where I live.

Even Cathay ( not many Americans fly for Cathay but people from my country fly for them, my friend is a B777 Captain for them ) got bailed out and Singapore airlines. Same for Emirates.

Same for people, lots would not have survived what we are going through without massive government spending where I live ( aka tax money ).

My airline is one of the top airlines in the world management-wise. Our CEO was one of the best in the industry.

Yes, Cathay is not the airline it used to be, morale was low even before the pandemic. I flew with some pilots who quit and joined my airline.

Cathay has extremely well-trained pilots.

Last edited:
Back