Delphi Quality Dropped.

I ordered 4 COP Delphi units from Rock Auto, the same one I have ordered many times before and was shocked to see what they sent me. The issues with Rock as of late are many but that is another story. Because the old Delphi was reboxed OE up to Oct 2020 and this one had a torn bag and has been wiped down I suspect a old one returned. They sent 1 old box one and 3 new ones.
After speaking with Delph technical they told me it is possible the Chinese ones are not genuine (notice I said possible not that they are) and because RA is not an authorized dealer they would not warranty them at all never mind the 3/36, that is up to RA. I ended up sending these back and ordered through Orio which is the official OE parts distributor after GM discontinued the brand for not too much more.

The bottom line is just be aware before buying Delphi that it may not be the same quality as it was not even 6 months ago for the same price or even higher.

The old Delphi, pre Borg Warner..

IMG_0176 copy.jpg

IMG_0177 copy.jpg

IMG_0178 copy.jpg

New Delphi post BW..

IMG_0175 copy.jpg

IMG_0179 copy.jpg

I just ordered some inner tie rods from a popular online euro parts supplier. The photo of the parts and data said they were 'Febi' brand made in Germany. What I received were Delphi tie rods made in Turkey. They were inferior quality and some important pieces were not included. They went back to the supplier.

I hate when they bait and switch. They have lost my business forever.

Caveat emptor!

For what my VW dealer charges for parts, I just buy everything there. Their prices are fair and competitive. No postage either. That way I know I am getting stuff through the supply chain. After all, what's a few dollars compared to your time, your effort and the longevity of the repair?

That is not always realistic, I am all for using OE parts but when there are good alternatives cheaper I have no problem using them.
I buy a lot of OE VW parts but not all, in fact some of the prices are really over the top. Over $65 for a 6" long molded 1/2" rubber coolant hose with no clamps or fittings is approaching criminal.
On the other hand some are lower than aftermarket, I always check.

Edit: I think you missed my point, the old Delphi were OE reboxed and $30 ea cheaper. I know its only $120 but if I can save that and get the same exact parts that is what I am buying.

I just ordered some inner tie rods from a popular online euro parts supplier. The photo of the parts and data said they were 'Febi' brand made in Germany. What I received were Delphi tie rods made in Turkey. They were inferior quality and some important pieces were not included. They went back to the supplier.

I hate when they bait and switch. They have lost my business forever.

Caveat emptor!
That is not the definition of "bait and switch". B&S involves advertising one low price product, and then a hard upsell to a different product.

But I too hate the "quality slide" (almost always involves China), as well as getting used parts or wrong part in the box, or outright counterfeits, it happens to everyone who buys more than a few parts a year. Forums like this are important to keep track on all this.

Not Rock Auto's fault. The Opticat says those Delphi GN10592 coils are indeed Chinese :mad:

Remember that Rock Auto is a drop shipper that carries no inventory and owns no warehouses. Google the return address to find the supplier :)
Rock Auto is at least partially at fault for sending a mixed order. The parts business has become a race to the bottom.

I’ve had this occur to not with coils but with other parts sending new ones vs old ones and quality being junk. I am debating whether to buy my truck bumper on there or try to find it somewhere else because I am worried it will be cheap steel from the one there and it doesn’t even give a brand name. I try to buy locally if I can but the independent parts store here won’t sell to the public only businesses so I have to go to one of the chain places or dealership.

Shipping on that sort of stuff from Rock can be astronomical. I priced a bumper cover for a Toyota from them, it was cheap but when shipping was added it cost more than OE from the local dealer with no shipping cost.
Look for a clean used one.

Shipping on that sort of stuff from Rock can be astronomical. I priced a bumper cover for a Toyota from them, it was cheap but when shipping was added it cost more than OE from the local dealer with no shipping cost.
Look for a clean used one.
Yes unfortunately OEM isn’t available for anything but the side lights I’ve been searching eBay and locally for used bumper and grill since my truck was hit and I want to keep the grill especially since it says Mazda on it whereas aftermarket doesn’t.

Back