Delphi fuel pump question

A relative has a 2009 Ford Escape the fuel pump needs replaced, she ordered a Delphi fuel pump for it, my question is has anyone had any experience with Delphi fuel pumps are they a good choice?

I helped a friend install a Delphi module into a 1998 F-150. Made in Mexico, it seems like a good unit. I’d rather gamble with the Delphi or Bosch pumps than Airtex or Carter(who is now part of First Brands, IIRC).

Incredibly enough the oem Delphi fuel pump on my 05 yukon has never failed me even after 331k with it. The one on my 03 did soon after taking it out of 7 years of storage, not driving it screwed with a ton of things. The truck would even shut off both at highway speeds and when coming to a stop but that and a lot of other electrical ailments disappeared after a while of daily driving it again. Letting a computerized vehicle sit for years does so much harm.

Last edited:
A relative has a 2009 Ford Escape the fuel pump needs replaced, she ordered a Delphi fuel pump for it, my question is has anyone had any experience with Delphi fuel pumps are they a good choice?
I installed one in my Grand Marquis in August. It worked out great and I have had no problems at all. Delphi is a good choice to make in my opinion. Make sure the fuel filter is replaced at the same time.

I installed one in my Grand Marquis in August. It worked out great and I have had no problems at all. Delphi is a good choice to make in my opinion. Make sure the fuel filter is replaced at the same time.
On the Escape I'll be working on the filter is built into the pump, this is going to be the first time I have ever changed a fuel pump, but I did my research & it seems pretty straight forward, luckily the fuel pump on this one is accessable from inside the vehicle under the back driver seat.

The one I bought for my 1984 Chevy Cavalier was made in China. Really wondered if it was made in the same factory to the same specs as the "cheapie brands".

I think I paid a $20 premium for it.

On the Escape I'll be working on the filter is built into the pump, this is going to be the first time I have ever changed a fuel pump, but I did my research & it seems pretty straight forward, luckily the fuel pump on this one is accessable from inside the vehicle under the back driver seat.
That sure beats dropping the tank.

You got it made. Should be an hour job then. Don't let any accumulated dirt fall in the tank when you remove the assembly. The engineers used their heads for a change.

Incredibly enough the oem Delphi fuel pump on my 05 yukon has never failed me even after 331k with it. The one on my 03 did soon after taking it out of 7 years of storage, not driving it screwed with a ton of things. The truck would even shut off both at highway speeds and when coming to a stop but that and a lot of other electrical ailments disappeared after a while of daily driving it again. Letting a computerized vehicle sit for years does so much harm.
Are you sure it's Delphi?? The OEM pump on our '05 Yukon was Bosch. I put in a Delphi and the fuel gauge never read correctly again. I've sworn off Delphi since just because it was incredibly annoying

If I can fit it in- I go Walbro.
Walbro(TI Automotive) is the real OEM for many of the automakers. Walbro is the aftermarket “performance” line of TI. If the OE pump isn’t marked Bosch, Conti(VDO) or Pierburg it’s a TI unit.

Of course, Toyota, Honda/Mitsu/Nissan/Subaru, HyunKia are exceptions using Denso/Aisan, Hitachi or Hyundai Kefico/Mobis fuel pumps.

Are you sure it's Delphi?? The OEM pump on our '05 Yukon was Bosch. I put in a Delphi and the fuel gauge never read correctly again. I've sworn off Delphi since just because it was incredibly annoying
Could be since i've never changed the pump. But the Delphi failed after 7 years of sitting. Crapped out a few weeks after driving it again. original only had 36k on it. After 7 years of driving I've put 186k on the new Delphi. Works perfectly.

Could be since i've never changed the pump. But the Delphi failed after 7 years of sitting. Crapped out a few weeks after driving it again.
Delphi made the "improved" fuel pump for both the GM 3.8L V6 and the 4.3L V6. The Delphi improvements to the fuel pump were primarily centered around the wiring, and often required a modification to the connector.

I had and still have great confidence in a Delphi fuel pump for a GM product. Never had one fail after installation. I can't share any experiences with Delphi fuel pumps for non GM vehicles- but in a GM, they are my "money in the bank" replacement fuel pump.

I have put Delphi pumps in both my Tahoe (1 yr so far) and Suburban (2 yrs so far) with no issues. Good pumps IMO. I think they're of better quality than your Airtex, cheapie brands.
Did the pumps fail, and if so at what mileage, or did you change them out prophylactically?
My Sierra has 160k miles on it on the original pump and was wondering what the chances are of it failing if I do not replace it.

I changed just the pump not the entire assembly. I remember having to swap the power leads on the pump's power connector to correctly match the new Delphi pump. Why they reversed it on the new pump is beyond me. I bet many had to do it over because the pump ran backwards. Remember to check it before sealing it up.

Back